Arkham City Dev Shows Off Moody Concept Art

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Arkham City Dev Shows Off Moody Concept Art

Unsurprisingly, Gotham's urban prison doesn't look like a particular nice place to visit.

Batman: Arkham City [http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-City-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0F5M8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300183797&sr=8-1] developer, Rocksteady Games, has released a few pieces of concept art on the game's official website [http://community.batmanarkhamcity.com/media/images/concept-art], showing what the team is looking at while it works on the game. The collection contains characters pieces, like Harley Quinn's redesigned outfit, as well as environmental pieces from the meanest streets that Gotham City has to offer.

[gallery=157]

Arkham City is set about a year after Arkham Asylum. The asylum's former warden, Quincy Sharp, has become mayor. Sharp comes up with a scheme to reduce the overcrowding at both Arkham, and Gotham City's Blackgate Prison. He buys up huge sections of the city's slums and walls them off, turning them into an urban prison. Naturally, things don't go entirely to plan, but thankfully, Batman is on hand to sort out the mess.

The concept art really helps to give a sense of how tightly packed and cramped Gotham City is, and the orange sky makes it look like hundreds of tiny fires light the city. The more active pieces - especially the one with Batman descending from a rooftop to an alleyway - are especially effective at evoking the feeling that you're stalking the streets, looking for evildoers.

Batman: Arkham City comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on October 18th.

Source: via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/293411/news/batman-arkham-city-concept-art-is-menacing/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Games looking great, in a bizarre coincidence I got to have a look around Rocksteadys offices last week. Their offices are just down thr road from me in Kentish town and one of the AI programmers goes to the same Kickboxing place as me.

Small world

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Terrific concepts, but the Harley Quinn design still looks like crap.

I guess it's wishfull thinking to hope Rocksteady will do a redesign to make her look a little less goth fangirl-ish.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I'm already super-excited about this game, this didn't impact anything. Looks pretty good though, but the in-game design is more important.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Can't wait. The first game was fantastic, I just hope they can retain that feeling in a somewhat more open environment. But then again as much as it poses a challenge, it also opens up a lot of possibilities, so I'm optimistic about it :)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
harleys gone through some.....interesting design changes since the cartoon

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I still can't believe I lived to see a great Batman video game. And now another one possibly even better is on the way. Life is good.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Batman: Arkham Asylum comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on October 18th.
Heads up, Arkham Asylum is already out.

OT: Those concept arts look awesome. Date is marked now.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Lol, Batman goes Snake Plisken?
How can anyone ever think that turning an entire section of a city to a prison would be a good idea..

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Fuck yeah, Batman. Arkham Asylum was awesome, and while I hope this doesn't be too moody I really am looking forward to it (Y)

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Vault101 said:
So just to be sure, I wasn't the only one noticing she was not a hot metal head/goth girl? Her voice will always ruin it for me though... Sigh...

Nice art work all around! Can't wait to see the end product

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:
Vault101 said:
So just to be sure, I wasn't the only one noticing she was not a hot metal head/goth girl? Her voice will always ruin it for me though... Sigh...

I was more commenting on the costumes...or lack thereof

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Vault101 said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Vault101 said:

I was more commenting on the costumes...or lack thereof
Well, that does look similar to what I see most metal heads and goths wear to concerts. Costumer vary of course, but there tends to be a more... Revealing aspect than a lot of other clicks.

Still, they can have her strolling the streets naked, and the moment she talks, I can't take her seriously.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Vrach said:
Can't wait. The first game was fantastic, I just hope they can retain that feeling in a somewhat more open environment. But then again as much as it poses a challenge, it also opens up a lot of possibilities, so I'm optimistic about it :)
From what I've read, it will be.

These look pretty immense, filled with that touch you'd expect from a Batman comic.

I'm looking forward to it immensely!