Arkham City Doubles Your Pleasure with 25-Hour Campaign

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Arkham City Doubles Your Pleasure with 25-Hour Campaign

The sequel to 2008's [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6467-Review-Batman-Arkham-Asylum"]stellar[/a] Arkham Asylum addresses one of the main complaints lobbed at the original: It was too short..

Developer Rocksteady Studios apparently listened to the entitled pleas of critics and consumers, when designing this much longer sequel. Game director Sefton Hill told The Guardian that Batman: Arkham City will feature a 25-hour campaign with an additional 15-hours of optional side-missions. Despite extending the game's story far beyond that of most contemporary action games, Hill insists the studio will continue to focus on pacing and variety to keep players interested.

"To keep players engaged for this length of time, not only do the characters and the story need to progress, but the core mechanics of the game they are playing need to change and adapt as well," Hill said. "What's really rewarding is seeing the change in players by the end of the game."

Back in March, [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108495-Ninjas-Can-Beat-Arkham-City-in-8-Hours"]we reported[/a] a story about the game's marketing manager Dax Ginn saying QA testers on the game can beat the campaign in eight hours. Perhaps they are really, really good, Batman: Arkham City has a lot of skippable cutscenes, or Hill is exaggerating the game's length. In any case, fans can depend on the optional side-missions alone to lengthen the game beyond that of its predecessor.

"We have around 15 hours of story that's off the main path," Hill said. "It's completely down to the player when and how they want to tackle this - there's no right or wrong time."

We now know Arkham City is longer and [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107454-Batman-Arkham-City-Five-Times-Bigger-Than-Asylum"]bigger[/a] than Arkham Asylum. We only have to wait until October to find out if it's actually better.

Source: [a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/may/18/batman-arkham-city-interview"] The Guardian [/a]

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Errr.... if i have to choose Id rather have quality rather quantity, heres hoping that can pull of both.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Looking forward to this, but I didnt even think the first one was that short, or at least I thought it was that good that I didnt even care if it was short, either way.

Dec 14, 2009
Damn, this is going to be the best licensed hero game of all time.

[sub]Wish they would make a Spider-Man game this awesome...[/sub]

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
On an unrelated note: When taken out of context.....that is literally the most bizarre picture I've ever seen. It's a guy in a wacky jumpsuit "jump hugging" a sledgehammer wielding Amputee clown...

...and we call Japan weird :/

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
People complained AA was too short? Yeesh.

I hope this doesn't mean they'll be just artificially lengthening it with lots of dead weight. I like my entertainment as concentrated fun.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Sounds good to me. Unless that extra gameplay time is made out of tedious tasks. But they made the first game great, I'll doubt they could or would ruin the second.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I imagine if you didn't try to 100% Arkham Asylum it was too short, but otherwise it was meaty enough. Simultaneously, you can't trust the length of a game based on a QA tester, who plays the same game every day and knows every little secret. You'd need to put it in the hands of, say, a dozen people of various ages and skills (and if you want to be thorough, vary ages and skills per genre, but that gets numerous and costly) and average out how long it takes them to complete the game.

In other words, do some focus testing.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
I guess I did piss around a lot, but the first one seemed a pretty good length. Went on a hell of a lot longer then I expected at least.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Personally I found the main complaint I had about the first game was it's lackluster story. Arkham City looks like it will be improving upon that though so it's all good.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I didn't think AA was too short at all. Seemed just right to me.
Still, if they can keep the quality bar as high as it was in the first game for all 25 hours, this is fantastically awesome news.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Togs said:
Errr.... if i have to choose Id rather have quality rather quantity, heres hoping that can pull of both.
Agreed. 40 hours of poorly paced story/game is really going to harm this game if they aren't really keeping everything moving.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Biggest problem for me about Batman Arkham Asylum were the boss battles. How many times did you fight the SAME exact fight with some Titan infused thug or thugs? As long as the boss battles aren't as repetitive then it would fine game even if everythign else is the same but longer...

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Hmmm, gotta say, I was pretty happy with Arkham Asylum's length. That said, the more content the better, as long as they can provide good quality at the same time :)

Tbh though, I'd rather see a same-ish length campaign, but with more random stuff to do once you're done with the game, seeing as Arkham City's supposed to be pretty sandboxy.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Well, I trust Rocksteady to do at least a good a job with Arkham City as they did with Arkham Asylum, so I have one thing to say.

MORE? OH GOD YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Arkham Asylum took maybe 8 hours for me? I have no idea, I'm a horrible measure-r of time, but regardless I thought it was excellently paced and chalk full of content.

Arkham City looks to be no different. I am eagerly awaiting this game's release.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I would sell my legs to get this game. I would sell an arm, but I need them to play the game. TAKE MY MONEY, ROCKSTEADY! TAKE ALL OF IT! AND MY FIRSTBORN CHILD!

Sorry, li'l Johnny, but you'll have to go with the nice people now. Have fun! Daddy sure will!

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
"We now know Arkham City is longer and bigger than Arkham Asylum. We only have to wait until October to find out if it's actually better."

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.