Arkham City Gets Extra Technical Tricks on PC

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Arkham City Gets Extra Technical Tricks on PC

If you've spent a lot of money on your gaming rig, Arkham City might just be the game that lets you really get some use out of it.

The PC version of Batman: Arkham City [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I0JAVK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_g63_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=05FHVPRM67ZM27YEQM34&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846 ] won't just be a straight port of the console version. Far from it, in fact: Rocksteady is including additional support for Nvidia's 3D and PhysX effects, so if you've got the hardware to run it, you're in for a pretty special experience.

According to PC Gamer, the 3D effects really stand out, thanks to all the gliding and swinging that Batman does in the game. It notes, however, that the game suffers from the same problem as a lot of 3D media; everything gets darker, and as it's a Batman game, Arkham City is pretty dark in the first place. The PhysX extras make the combat more visceral, with PC Gamer using the example of a fight in a courtroom, where a wooden wall splintered when Batman threw a thug into it. The game will also have DX11 visual effects, again, provided you have the hardware to take advantage of them.

The extra bells and whistles on PC aren't going to dramatically change the game, but will give it a little extra edge, not to mention giving PC gamers a chance to get some more use out of the hardware that's cost them so much money.

Batman: Arkham City comes out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on October 18th.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/15/arkham-city-3d-support-and-improved-physx-for-pc/]

Stealthygamer

Apr 25, 2010
The 3D and Physx announcement isn't that amazing since the first one had them, and everyone expects AAA games to use the newest version of DirectX

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
I just cant play that kind of action games on PC, though :p
Better get my Xbox controller agn!

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
I spent loads on my rig! But I don't have support for any of those features! :(

Still, the console port will help ease my gushes. Majorly excited for this, because Arkham 1 was fucking awesome.

dillinger88

Jan 6, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
Wait, did the last game have tessellation?
No, it was a DX9/10 game. Tessellation is DX11 tech.

This news excites me. My two GTX 570s will be put through their paces hopefully.

EDIT: Must learnt to refresh the page before I decide to respond >.<

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Xzi said:
TerribleAssassin said:
I spent loads on my rig! But I don't have support for any of those features! :(

Still, the console port will help ease my gushes. Majorly excited for this, because Arkham 1 was fucking awesome.
What...why...how. If you spent "loads" on it, it should at least have DX11 support.
As in I spent loads last year so it would run every game up to late 2012 on at least medium quality. Just didn't support DX11 when I got it.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Xzi said:
*Drools.* AAA Sandbox game in DirectX 11. I. Cannot. Wait.
Pretty much this, I just preordered this game yesterday. This is great to hear :D. I have 2x GTX580'S with SLI

My reaction:

Sorry for the pony but this is pretty much the noise I made :|

blurredplacebo

something should go in here
Jan 25, 2010
I knew I upgraded my rig for a reason! AC comes out on my birthday as well in Australia double plus good.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Uh, Arkham Asylum already had DirectX10 because it was the latest DirectX to be supported by the Unreal Engine 3 (Rocksteady stated they'd ALWAYS use the latest DirectX when possible), and it also had PhysX and 3D, so these news, as the comment of the game not being a console-to-PC port, aren't really new.
I'm still not sure if I'll buy this game as it comes out though, the news of it running Games for Windows Live instead of Steamworks led me to drop my idea of pre-ordering the physical Collector's Edition. Maybe I'll get it on sale off Steam at Christmas, my budget is kinda tight at the moment.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
James Crook said:
the news of it running Games for Windows Live instead of Steamworks led me to drop my idea of pre-ordering the physical Collector's Edition.
Good news, then, as there isn't a CE for PC.