Arkham City.... Sexist?

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Uh huh...I can think of several different counterpoints to this argument.

1. One word can have different meanings given a different context. That was the case here. (This is for the first of the three articles, obviously.)

2. Batman spent his time turning his superhero identity into one FEARED by criminals. Catwoman, a burglar by nature, not so much.

3. Catwoman kicks ass both figuratively and literally. All that, as pointed out by Rocksteady in the past, was done in order to point out that she's roughly Batman's equal.

4. From the point of view of a writer, how else are you going to show comtempt and/or disrespect for her?

...No, really. Tell me.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
DeathWyrmNexus said:
The use of the word ***** is lacking creativity and that relates to the problem is stock phrases and lazy writing. However, stock phrases and lazy writing does not immediately equal sexism. Let's not missidentify the problem.
Lazy writing is the superficial problem. It shows a lack of creativity when someone stays in the same place. But when we look at where that place is, that's where we see the subtle sexism. You're write that lazy writing doesn't immediately equal sexism. In this case, it reveals an immature and lazy attitude toward the characterization of female characters. That attitude is where the sexism can be found.

Also, don't mistakenly believe every instance of sexism has to be a monumental thing. If I were to believe men should get harsher punishments for stealing than women, that would be sexist of me. Or in the opposite direction, same thing. It's not intense sexism, it's not malicious, but it's there.

The writers are hitting a major problem. Yes, the views of a fictional character do not necessarily reflect the views of the author... but when you, as a writer, say the same thing over and over and over, it's hard for folks not to think that maybe, on some level, you really mean it. You've got to consider your audience.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Sorry, but I can't take this whole discussion seriously.
She clubs social rejects into submission (does she kill them sometimes, I don't know the game so tell me) because they are "the bad guys". There is this whole superheroic vigilantism going on and you are seriously wondering about the language-use? The language? Hello?

Let me quote Colonel Kurtz here for a moment:
Colonel Walter E. Kurtz said:
We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!
Sorry, but in my humble opinion this discussion is no longer ridiculous it is disturbing and unsettling.

Come on people, please!

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Melopahn said:
Ok! I am not going to finish reading this response for 1 and only 1 reason. You have no idea what you are talking about.
This is a circular argument. You aren't basing this on any recognizable logic, nor are you behaving in a way that fosters discussion.

It is not my opinion, while I do agree that she is sexual, I do not think that I have the creative right to redefine any character made by another person.

Seriously please look something up before you call someones opinion wrong. (especially when as an opinion it can't technically be wrong, just different from your own.
Please be clear. Is this your opinion, or is it not? At one point, you say it isn't. You cite the interpretation of one of the men to write for Catwoman, and declare it cold, hard fact regardless of evidence to the contrary. Then, you say it's an opinion, and so it can't be called wrong.

But then, of course, you also call my opinion wrong. You'll understand, please, if the inconsistency makes it hard for me to understand what you're actually saying.

His name is Bob Kane, he created and wrote batman along with most all of his villains.
And now he doesn't. Characters evolve over time, particularly in the hands of new writers. Catwoman became something else, something better. She became a character. After all, can we not recognize that sexism was more than a bit of a social problem during the era in which Bob created Batman? Writing for female characters has evolved since that time. The Arkham City iteration of Catwoman represents a step backward, then, and not just a failure to step forward.

Sorry to pop your argument bubble but you put no effort into it when there is a whole lot of backing to look up. Thank you for the insults and please feel free to not reproduce you raising children would just equal that many more ignorant opinionated people who feel that they know something about a character beyond its creator. Also GOOGLE is awesome, it can teach you so much. (its www.google.com you then type whatever you aren't sure about into the blank text bar labeled search. Afterwords you push the button labeled search. Now you can learn so much before you speak. Im sure so many will appreciate it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catwoman

Thats the link to the wikipedia about how she was created. Give it a read YOu might learn something.
So that you can be aware, this in particular is why your post has been reported. I don't want to mislead you by thinking it's because we disagree.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Dastardly said:
DeathWyrmNexus said:
The use of the word ***** is lacking creativity and that relates to the problem is stock phrases and lazy writing. However, stock phrases and lazy writing does not immediately equal sexism. Let's not missidentify the problem.
Lazy writing is the superficial problem. It shows a lack of creativity when someone stays in the same place. But when we look at where that place is, that's where we see the subtle sexism. You're write that lazy writing doesn't immediately equal sexism. In this case, it reveals an immature and lazy attitude toward the characterization of female characters. That attitude is where the sexism can be found.

Also, don't mistakenly believe every instance of sexism has to be a monumental thing. If I were to believe men should get harsher punishments for stealing than women, that would be sexist of me. Or in the opposite direction, same thing. It's not intense sexism, it's not malicious, but it's there.

The writers are hitting a major problem. Yes, the views of a fictional character do not necessarily reflect the views of the author... but when you, as a writer, say the same thing over and over and over, it's hard for folks not to think that maybe, on some level, you really mean it. You've got to consider your audience.
Lazy stock writing doesn't equal sexism... Let that sink in and repeat it a few times.

I pointed out the flaws in your strong/independent women are automatically bitches argument. Now you are just strawmanning into the writer laziness becomes sexism because... reasons. And that is the problem.

If we had a stock phrase of Asshole in another video game, would we automatically consider the writer to have an anal fetish? Seriously, it is a stock insult that applies to the person kicking the face of the person saying the insult. Nothing more or less. *sigh*

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I disagree with MovieBob's comparison to Other M mostly because the developers for M put the sexism in a positive light, while Arkham puts in a negative light.

Yes, it's sexist, but that might just be a lack of imagination from the writers or they just wanted to make the cannon fodder dimwits.

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
If the writer of that blog is completely serious, then he should probably just stop playing video games. Just the idea of the article is ridiculous. Batman franchise is sexist in its portrayal of Catwoman? Really?

Anyways, I have a feeling that the guy just wrote it to stir up some nerdrage and get some hits for his blog.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
DeathWyrmNexus said:
Lazy stock writing doesn't equal sexism... Let that sink in and repeat it a few times.

I pointed out the flaws in your strong/independent women are automatically bitches argument. Now you are just strawmanning into the writer laziness becomes sexism because... reasons. And that is the problem.

If we had a stock phrase of Asshole in another video game, would we automatically consider the writer to have an anal fetish? Seriously, it is a stock insult that applies to the person kicking the face of the person saying the insult. Nothing more or less. *sigh*
And lazy writing doesn't excuse sexism, either. This is an example that is both lazy writing and subtle sexism -- because the lazy writing is exclusively applied to the female characters. If it were only lazy writing, we'd see the same laziness as applied to Batman. We don't.

You've provided your view on why Catwoman, Ivy, Quinn, etc. are "bitches." You've also provided your view on why they are not "strong/independent women." We do seem to gloss over the fact that Catwoman is, in this game, a "good guy" character (albeit with "bad guy" methods). But that's immaterial. To the bad guys, Talia is the "*****" because she stands against them.

The problem isn't whether or not a given character is "a *****." The problem is that this is the only thing we seem to call any of them in this game. No variety, no allowance for differences between them. Batman gets called many things, but all of the women are forced to share one narrow and oft-repeated label: "*****."

It is an example of lazy writing that demonstrates a mildly sexist attitude behind it.

(If it were an overuse of "asshole," we would see it applied to Batman and Robin, too. That's just lazy writing -- but equally applied to both sexes. In this case, the laziness is directly targeted at the female characters. And that's what makes it a little more than just laziness.)

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
OF COURSE ITS RACIST!! SHE IS CATWOMAN! THEY SHOULD CALL HER PUSSY NOT *****

waith what?? oh... sexist... yah, its sexist too

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
SecretNegative said:
So, for this game to not be sexist, it would need a greater variety in insults for females?

To quote every person who has seen an Amnesia-monster: What the hell?
Oddly enough, yes. Because it would demonstrate more understanding that women can be just as different as men. Each woman in the game has a very different personality. If Batman can have more than one insult just for him, why shouldn't each of these women get their own (if not several)?

And those insults do not have to be exclusively feminine. It's not "either we call her a ***** or a ****." You could call a woman a "nutjob." You could call her a "psycho." You could call her a "jerk." Whatever. Not every insult has to be female-specific.

A little bit more variety would keep the game from stepping on the word "*****" far too often, and that would help them avoid this very accidental, I'm sure, instance of sexist writing.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Dastardly said:
DeathWyrmNexus said:

And lazy writing doesn't excuse sexism, either. This is an example that is both lazy writing and subtle sexism -- because the lazy writing is exclusively applied to the female characters. If it were only lazy writing, we'd see the same laziness as applied to Batman. We don't.

You've provided your view on why Catwoman, Ivy, Quinn, etc. are "bitches." You've also provided your view on why they are not "strong/independent women." We do seem to gloss over the fact that Catwoman is, in this game, a "good guy" character (albeit with "bad guy" methods). But that's immaterial. To the bad guys, Talia is the "*****" because she stands against them.

The problem isn't whether or not a given character is "a *****." The problem is that this is the only thing we seem to call any of them in this game. No variety, no allowance for differences between them. Batman gets called many things, but all of the women are forced to share one narrow and oft-repeated label: "*****."

It is an example of lazy writing that demonstrates a mildly sexist attitude behind it.

(If it were an overuse of "asshole," we would see it applied to Batman and Robin, too. That's just lazy writing -- but equally applied to both sexes. In this case, the laziness is directly targeted at the female characters. And that's what makes it a little more than just laziness.)
My view? Are you kidding? Care to dispute my claim about these women? Care to show me how their actions are noble or nonbitchy? Seriously? Try it. Also, I never said they weren't strong people, I simply said that they are bitches because of WHAT THEY DO WITH THEIR STRENGTH! That is the entire problem...

No, lazy writing demonstrates... lazy writing. Or simply a lax desire to voice more reactions for characters who only exist to get beaten down.

Also, Catwoman isn't the protagonist of the game and has considerably less play time, IE she isn't the focus of the game and thus fewer characters will talk to her or about her. You are looking to be insulted instead of the game actually panning out that way. At this point, you're just pulling this into Nuh Uh, Uh Huh territory. Sooo, I think I am going to be done talking to a wall now.

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
My two cents, based on reading most of the comments so far:

I think saying that the writers meant to write the thugs as sexist is giving them too much credit. And even if it was a conscious choice, the fact that (as one of the cited articles points out), there seems to be no context to their universal sexism (because practically EVERY SINGLE ONE who throws an insult incoporates "*****" in some fashion) other than "they're criminals so DUH they're sexist" (which makes no sense, because not ALL criminals are bigots), coupled with the severity of the slur thrown at the female characters, compared to what is flung at Batman (he doesn't universally get called a "bastard" or an "asshole" or some other typically male-only insult; he gets called these and other less gender-centric names), makes for a disturbing picture.

On top of that, the use of "*****" wasn't the only problem pointed out; another was the sexualization of the female characters.

Catwoman dressing up in a tight-fitting catsuit and flirting with people used to be the thing she did to a) do her job, and b) get what she wanted/needed from others when necessary. She'd flirt with Batman or some other dude to get access to a place or to flee the scene; regardless of the intent, she was always in control of her sexuality and was using it to further her own agenda, which made her a strong female character despite the fact that sometimes she acted like a slut. Through this, her sexual behavior had a purpose, and made sense.

But that Catwoman isn't exactly the one you see in Arkham City (or in her more recent comics, for that matter). Catwoman in the game is sexualized for the sake of eye-candy more so than for any practical purpose. Those camera angles showing off her curves aren't exactly helping her escape from the police; when the only people in her way are a bunch of thugs she plans to just mow down (and who aren't in any way distracted by the fact that her boobs are hanging out when they're coming at her), one can't argue that the choice to have her costume partially unzipped serves any purpose. Not only that, but she also gets tied up in provocative ways obviously just meant to appeal to players, among other things. (Chains circling her boobs? Seriously?) The power of her sexuality has been taken from her and is flaunted by the producers for the purpose of pandering to the players, and therein lies the problem.

And she is not the only one who has been affected by this fanservice attitude. Harley Quinn was never as sexualized during her conception as she is in either Arkham Asylum or Arkham City (in fact she was a parody of fangirls and/or a portrayal of an doe-eyed victim of domestic violence in many if not most of her appearances). Besides walking around in a skin-tight suit, nothing she did was ever on-par with what Catwoman does, and yet in these games she's dressed more like a slut, and starts acting a little more like one too?

All of this combined makes for an even more depressing picture. No one (that I've seen so far) has stated that the producers/writers/etc themselves are raging sexist bigots, and I don't believe that they are either. HOWEVER, what they've produced, on the whole, does ring with a sexist undertone; not in the sense that the game screams "women suck" or anything like that, but in the sense that the game goes the "we're going to treat women differently than men in an unnecessary manner" and "we're going to change the female characters to pander to horny teenagers" route more so than is necessary.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Wouldn't it be better to change it to this?

SecretNegative said:
The developers have taken this blog in cosideration and will now change the dialogues into these:

That'll teach her to screw with Two-Face."

"She deserves it. You saw what she did to him in the court. It was only a matter of time before he got a little payback."

""I'll make you meow!"

"He sent Paulie B over to blow her secret hideout sky-high."

"She'll come straight back here? And when she does, I want you guys to blow that her apart!

"He had her just where he wanted her and she broke free."

"Ha, I only took half. The rest I gave away. I win!"

"Help us decide if we should kill the *****(Can't change them all!) who tried to steal from us, or let her go to do it again."

"Two guns, Catwoman!"

Hmm, better or worse?
The use of ***** where if they were referring to Batman they would have said he, him, or Batman is jarring and gives the game a sexist tone overall.

Not an intentional one but it's there none the less.

And the Bativerse used to be such a happy place.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
And this, gentleman, is why we can't have female protagonists in actiongames... someone's gonna gonna pull the "Sexism" card... it's just... stupid.

Chelsea O'shea

May 20, 2010
are you really taking kotaku seriously? since when were they to be taken seriously,they are like the whiniest gaming site on the net

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Dastardly said:
But we should be careful not to group all of these accusations into the same pot. Some do not have merit, but some do. Otherwise, it's like saying, "Because some people diagnose themselves with Asperger's falsely, we won't believe anyone..." or something.
I personally don't trust anyone who diagnoses themselves with Asperger's, only the people who have a trained medical professional diagnose them (I should know, I'm one of those with the condition).

A lot of these accusations do come across as people searching for something to gripe about and this case (and specifically your response to it) was no exception.

Please understand -- neither I nor the folks writing these articles are against the use of the word "*****." It's a dark game, and that kind of language is to be expected. The problem is the exclusive and pervasive use of the word "*****." Any other words could break the monotony of it.
Nice way to try and avoid answering the question I gave you, but to answer your evasive response I would have to say that you can't claim that you aren't against the use of the word ***** when that was seemingly the platform of your complaint (that every woman in the game is called a *****), either that word bothers you or it doesn't.

If it doesn't then what's the problem?

And using the perceived educational level of the NPCs isn't a defense. The developers have to keep in mind that players will be encountering these random dialogue bits hundreds of times during a playthrough. Repetition is already a problem, just from a "fun" standpoint. When it's a gender-specific insult, that problem is compounded.
I would see the problem with that if the line was something specific that sticks out (I still have funny memories of Mass Effect's 'I will destroy you') but when it's something that it isn't that hard to conceive that people would say a lot (calling someone a ***** isn't exactly a rare phrase for the criminal element to utter so repetition isn't that large an issue) then hearing something like 'you *****!' over and over wouldn't really draw my attention that much.

Also, about how the lack of education not being a defence, yes it is. I, sadly, have had more contact with gangsta wannabes and chavs that I would have liked throughout my life and I can safely tell you that a lot of them are really unimaginative when it comes to hurling insults (rarely thinking of anything more unique than 'fuck you', 'you [insert racial slur here]' and 'I fucked your Mum'), it really isn't that suprising for those types of people to spam the same stuff over and over.

Again, it's not lazy writing so much as it's just fitting for the characters in question.

The other problem, as I see it? Every woman is described as "*****." You could call Harley Quinn a "friggin' nutjob." You could call Talia an "ice queen." You could think of some insult that's just a little more specific to the woman being insulted. Not only would that provide variety, it would avoid the appearance of a belief that all of these "girl" characters are pretty much the same...
Read my point above about the lack of creativity on the part of thug-like individuals when it comes to expressing their opinions about others, it would seem weird and out of place to have people who are essentially violent idiots start waxing poetic about the various ways in which they dislike various women in the game, these aren't meant to be likeable or foward thinking individuals (in case the whole 'hardened murderer and criminal' thing hadn't clued you into that) and having them be more vocal and expressive about why they dislike these people would result in cheesey repetative lines like my previous 'I will destroy you' example above.

Also, calling someone a ***** is more of an emotive response than an actual description of someone. You call a woman a ***** because you're angry at her or because you're frustrated and hate her (it's usually because of the emotions you're feeling at the time), it's the reason so many people throw words like 'fuck', 'shit', '*****' and others around so casually, it's usually an exclaimation or an expression of suprise, anger or irritation (guess which out of those entering a fight with an infiltrator like Catwoman would fall under).

You know what? I don't even think it would be as big a problem if it was just Catwoman described as a "*****." That does, in a way, seem to be part of her persona -- she's a little rougher on men than she needs to be sometimes. As long as the other women got different labels, you could call it an aspect of "characterization."
So you wouldn't have any problem what-so-ever if the other women got different terms of abuse hurled at them?

That's a...strange sentiment to have.

It's laziness on the part of the writers, excused as "character behavior." I find a similar problem in movies where every other word is "fuck." It's not the word that bothers me, it's the laziness -- as though that words is the only way to make things more "edgy" or "adult" or "dark."
And the absence of expletives suddenly makes a work more mature as well? I understand and to a certain extent agree with the notion that just throwing swearing in doesn't make a work more mature but it must be understood that this also applies to the opposite, just because you have swearing present doesn't make a work less mature or adult (I personally believe that the people who believe that it does are just as immature as those who swear excessively).

It's a grave mistake to think that sexism can only be intentional. Someone doesn't have to maliciously want bad things to happen to women. If they just harbor a subconscious belief that all woman are inferior to men... or that most women are inferior to men... or that all women are basically the same... or that all women should be... it doesn't have to be intentional or malicious to be sexist.
Bias is unintentional, we all have biases and they're always active whether we recognise them or not (most of the time we don't). Biases are largely harmless and often don't result in anything (like I said, we all have biases and for the most part we all tend to believe in the equal and fair treatment of others despite this).

Sexism is not accidental or unintended, the people who hold sexist beliefs or commit sexist acts against men or women know what their stance is and why they hold the beliefs they do, they openly acknowledge their disregard or hatred for others and often act upon them in dispicable ways.

Sexism, just like racism and homophobia, is a very heavy and loaded word and should be an accusation saved for actual, serious instances of hatred and malice (like I said in my previous post about how most people tend to overlook the history behind these branches of discrimination) not pulled out whenever someone has a minor grumble or feels like complaining about someone but doesn't want to be called out for it.

Again, it's not the amount of times. It's the fact that it's basically the only insult used, and it's used universally for all women in the game. It's not that the word is being used, it's how. Lazy writing, zero effort to individualize treatment of the female characters, all blamed half-heartedly on, "What do you expect? They're uneducated thugs!" Yes, they are. But writers, you are not.
The writers aren't the ones saying *****, the characters are so stop harping on the 'lazy writers' complaint because it plainly isn't that.

There are reasons to be outraged or concerned about a game (for examples just look at Call of Juarez: the Cartel, America's Army, Custer's Revenge, the leigons of propaganda games out there and Dead or Alive) but the villains (read: bad guys) calling women bitches is not one of them.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Tin Man said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
2. Catwoman was always sexualized, and look at Batman. Tell me all those muscle aren't there for fan service to the ladies.
Ok. I'm telling you that.

This argument has been brought up time and again, and it doesn't work both ways. Batman is enourmous because he is a martial arts warrior who makes a hobby of dismantaling crowds of brawlers with his bare hands. He wears plate armor with gaps in it that while they're asthetically placed for muscle emphasis(because he IS a comic bool after all), they also work in universe as ways of maximising mobility without compromising protection.

Catwoman on the other hand, is wearing belt straps on her arms and legs why? In game adverts she was tressed up in chains, but there specifically WASN'T [http://filmcrithulk.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/2008044-1_batman_arkham_city_batman_catwoman2.jpg] any chains around her breats, a very common technique displayed in bondage fetishes.

She also has a stupidly low cut top which would actually be detrimental for a theif/unarmed combatants defensive prospects. I could go on.

The point I'm making isn't the outfits/poses(gratuitous though they are), it's what they symbolise and what they're for. Batman is designed to be capable, powerful, and extremely threatening. Catwoman, his supposed female opposite number/rival, is clearly a sex symbol above all else. And gaming really doesn't need any more of those.

Also, Harley Quinn.
What's wrong with women being sexual?

I have seen vociferous and violent protests against various Governments who enforce "decency laws" forbidding women ever showing any skin or shape of their body.

They argue convincingly that women are sexual beings and should be allowed to express their sexuality without fear of taboo or persecution. The crackdown is always justified as for the women's own good but in the end they suffer. I'm not talking about "slut empowerment", hiking your skirt and letting any perv have your way with you is not empowering, but by women being extroverted in their sexuality they far more control the pace and terms of relationships and interaction. I think enough has been said about how when it comes to sexual assault, nothing a woman can wear or the way she can act means she is "asking for it".

So in the context of B:AC, no matter how a heroine dresses she will get wolf-whistles and sexual advances from thugs like these. Acting defensive and introverted in sexuality only enhances the power of such insults and threats. But by being extrovert it is subverted, it is no longer "nice woman intimidated by what Big brute wants" but "big brute frustrated with taunts of what he can never have".

PS: it's kinda futile for females to succeed in combat from bulking up with muscle and armour, they are at an inherent height and weight disadvantage. It at least makes some sense to go the other route to exploit speed and dexterity instead.

I think the strongest argument against Catwoman as a pure sex symbol is how important it is to have her as a playable character, a character to fight, explore and adventure with. She would be a pure sex object if the only touted unlock would be a viewing screen to ogle at her. No, the general audience want to PLAY her, people want to BE her! If she was "just a sex object", then they wouldn't be so excited about embodying her to kick ass!