Arkham City.... Sexist?

hangman717

Nov 10, 2009
the article doesnt really take in to account that the people calling catwoman a ***** are all hardened criminals....Hardened Criminals I mean is it that weird that they arent above name calling

Pacerman

Nov 18, 2009
Is the game blatantly sexist? No.
Is the game a little sexist? SURE!
But then, Cat woman has always used sexuality to her advantage, it's been a staple of her character since the beginning.
Cat woman knows a wink and a smile is all she needs to beat up these evil man pigs, because men seem unable to resist the charms of a pretty lady.

On another note, you know half the guys who she takes down with her stealth moves have to be thinking "Best death ever..."

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
***** is like the universal go-to word for a woman you don't like, it's hardly rocket science to figure out that a bunch of musclebound thugs who quite likely are never going to win any prizes for their language skills would refer to a woman they do not like as a *****.

IronicBeet

Jun 27, 2009
...Calling a woman a ***** while she's beating you up is sexist now?

Are you fucking kidding me?

Welp, see you guys. I'm going to go shoot myself because this world is obviously fucking insane now.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
Sober Thal said:
torno said:
I haven't played the game, but can anyone tell me if it's safe to say that Catwoman is not as, jiggly, as some of Team Ninja's female cast members?
Nothing is as jiggly as any Team Ninja female character in any other game, ever.
This goes for Jell-o, too.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
the characters are probably sexist. but really, their villains. They're also psychotic murderers.

If we're going to villify them for being sexist and ignore the fact that they're also killers, we need to reevaluate our priorities

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
It's Kotaku. Part of the Gawker network. If you don't know that the Gawker network is vapid and sensational by now, then here is your cue.

They just want to create chaos where there is none. Getting site-traffic along the way.

Political Correctness can die in a fire, so shall the people exploiting it for their own personal gain.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
It would be kind of weird if they didn't call her that wouldn't it.....what do you say when you get punched in the junk repeatedly?
"son of a bii....madame!!!"

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
while they raise decent points, the trouble is the people portrayed in these games, the shear lowlifes, their real world equivilants mostly see women in the same light. It seems gratuitous because it is in the real world. Hell, I mostly hang out with intelligent people and some of the filth they'll spew out about women is frightening. The people here act as if it doesn't go on. It's wrong, but I think we should focus more on the real world issues, rather than those mirrored by a game

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
SenseOfTumour said:
Just being picky, but it's fine for a roomful of violent thugs to beat up a lone woman with baseball bats and the like, but calling her a ***** while you shatter her ribcage into a calcium themed jenga set is too far?
I find this sentence hilariously true. For some reason, there's this idea that you can have all the violence you want, but mean words are a no-no.

This isn't sexist. The people who wrote those articles are bored/stupid/both. Nothing more needs to be said, except: I really need to play Arkham City. It looks even cooler than I thought it would be.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Tin Man said:
So far, I'm yet to see a single well thought out argument that this game DOESN'T pull some crap, and all I'm seeing in defence of it is the argument equivalent of people shrugging their shoulders and just turning around and walking away.
Um, and I've yet to see a valid point for why anyone should be concerned at all. There probably doesn't need to be a "valid argument" because the problem simply doesn't exist, or is entirely too asinine to begin with.

Sexism, really? Really?

Transhuman Plus

Oct 20, 2011
Tin Man said:
I know this is the internet and all, but could you at least TRY and read some of the articles of the opposing viewpoint?

So far, I'm yet to see a single well thought out argument that this game DOESN'T pull some crap, and all I'm seeing in defence of it is the argument equivalent of people shrugging their shoulders and just turning around and walking away.
One of the major arguments of Film Critic Hulk is:

"? SO WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT OF THIS SHIT IN ARKHAM CITY?

OH WAIT, THERE IS NONE. THERE IS NO FUCKING CONTEXT FOR THE THINGS. THEY ARE JUST PRESENTED AT FACE VALUE WITH ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER REDEEMING VALUE BEYOND TITILLATION AND SEEPING OUT OF THE WRITERS COLLECTIVE ID AS SOME SORT OF AXE TO GRIND WITH WOMEN."

He/ she couldn't be more wrong. The constant use of the word adds to the gritty, darkened atmosphere of the game. The "context" is that it fits.

If Kirk Hamilton from Kotaku hadn't decided to jump on the indignation wagon (because nothing gets site traffic like controversy) this would have ended with a rambling nonsensical rant on Film Critic Hulk, and we everyone reading this wouldn't have wasted their time on an imagined inequity.

MidnightCat

Jul 21, 2009
I enjoyed Film Critic Hulk's article, but I'm going to reserve judgement until after I've played Arkham City. I have to say though, that considering the other names they could be calling Catwoman, "*****" is fairly tame. Replace "*****" with, say, "whore" and I'd be worried, but so far having the NPCs call Catwoman a ***** seems appropriate considering the context.

xdom125x

Dec 14, 2010
I think the inmates call Catwoman a ***** so much and don't do the same towards Batman because they think they could actually beat Catwoman. Why? Most inmates have a size advantage over her, they are stupid, too goddamn proud to think they could be beaten by her, and are sexist (although this can be considered an extrapolation of stupid, if you like). While on the other hand, most of them see Batman as a freaking force of nature, so they don't call him a *****.

Why don't they use more pun-based insults? Because when a run of the mill thug is in a fight, he won't be thinking "gee what would be a great quip to insult this woman". He'd be thinking more "ow, that b**** just kicked me in my face". Also, using puns could actual hurt that thugs reputation.

And couldn't those article have focused more on the (implicit or explicit) threats of rape towards Catwoman instead? Those seemed kind of worse than the (debateable) overuse of the b- word.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
IronicBeet said:
...Calling a woman a ***** while she's beating you up is sexist now?

Are you fucking kidding me?

Welp, see you guys. I'm going to go shoot myself because this world is obviously fucking insane now.
The point is that Rocksteady have produced a world where the only serious real world insult used is a pejorative term used to insult a woman.

If the profanity was a bit more free and heavy then it wouldn't seem so out of place.