Arkham City's Fisticuffs Are Even Better In Reality

Oct 30, 2010
Aerial assault was a bit off (though I can understand why), but the rest of the video was fantastic.

semal

Nov 2, 2011
jawakiller said:
I thought the choerography was great, the acting was cool but there was still one issue that I had with the clip. Call it a pet peeve, I can't stand the Action Girl (look it up in TV Tropes).

A chick who can beat down a pile of burly thugs with absolutely no muscle mass. That kind of chick.
At 65 kg spread over 177cm I'm a wimpy guy with thin arms, yet I can beat the living crap out of you, because I know how. But I've fought against women who were smaller and lighter than me and I didn't stand a chance, because they were simply way out of my league. And out of guys taller and stronger than me.

tl;dr: skill > muscle mass

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
semal said:
jawakiller said:
I thought the choerography was great, the acting was cool but there was still one issue that I had with the clip. Call it a pet peeve, I can't stand the Action Girl (look it up in TV Tropes).

A chick who can beat down a pile of burly thugs with absolutely no muscle mass. That kind of chick.
At 65 kg spread over 177cm I'm a wimpy guy with thin arms, yet I can beat the living crap out of you, because I know how. But I've fought against women who were smaller and lighter than me and I didn't stand a chance, because they were simply way out of my league. And out of guys taller and stronger than me.

You of course assume that your hypothetical opponent (me), has inferior fighting skills. Now, you do understand that skill, while a necessity, is not the only factor when engaging in any kind of "real" brawl. There are many other factors to take into consideration. Speed, endurance, general energy and of course, physical strength.

Yes, training or skills can aid you in a fight but have you ever been hit in the face? Due to the lack of perfection in human beings, we all slip up occasionally. This is a place muscle comes in. Abs. Get hit in the stomach and a good set will keep you from falling over gasping for air. Arms (in general). You can actually block (or deflect) a blow with your arms. Shocker, I know. Neck. This is a major bit. A concussion occurs when (simple version) the brain is disturbed. The muscular structure in your neck stops your head from bobbing thus preventing an untimely black out.

So, when you said strength was a non-issue... Well I questioned your knowledge of the subject. You wrote as if you were awfully sure of yourself and I'm giving you a chance to qualify your statement. Is skill all that matters?

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Yeah, I remember when I got into a fight and punched my way through while my opponents clumsily attempted one slow attack and then just stood there, asking themselves why I'm still there.

Maldeus

Mar 24, 2009
jawakiller said:
semal said:
jawakiller said:

You of course assume that your hypothetical opponent (me), has inferior fighting skills. Now, you do understand that skill, while a necessity, is not the only factor when engaging in any kind of "real" brawl. There are many other factors to take into consideration. Speed, endurance, general energy and of course, physical strength.

Yes, training or skills can aid you in a fight but have you ever been hit in the face? Due to the lack of perfection in human beings, we all slip up occasionally. This is a place muscle comes in. Abs. Get hit in the stomach and a good set will keep you from falling over gasping for air. Arms (in general). You can actually block (or deflect) a blow with your arms. Shocker, I know. Neck. This is a major bit. A concussion occurs when (simple version) the brain is disturbed. The muscular structure in your neck stops your head from bobbing thus preventing an untimely black out.

So, when you said strength was a non-issue... Well I questioned your knowledge of the subject. You wrote as if you were awfully sure of yourself and I'm giving you a chance to qualify your statement. Is skill all that matters?
]

These are good points in general, but they're irrelevant to the video. Catwoman is using pretty brutal and effective attacks about 70-80% of the time (and the rest is pretty much all whip tricks and absurd jump kicks), and she never, ever takes a single hit, so how much muscle she's got built up on her abs is a non-issue.

And incidentally, these spectacular minute-and-a-half long battles don't really happen in real life (actually, maybe if it's 5-on-1 it might drag out a bit...). Real life fights typically take ten or twenty seconds to send one or the other combatant down for good, tops, unless both sides are either very, very good or very, very bad. So, human imperfection isn't actually something that's likely to come up in the ten seconds it will take one or the other of you to beat the tar out of the other.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Amongst "normal" people, muscle>skill 9/10. Unless you are some sort of kung-fu master, if you try to take on someone who is bigger and stronger than you it will likely end badly unless you have a weapon or fight dirty. You just aren't going to be hurting him like he is going to hurt you, and it doesn't take much to put a human being down.

So yeah, its my problem with the video too. The coreography is great and all, but it (and so many things like it) REEK of power fantasy. There just isn't any realism, at all. Now, this is fine when its some lady dressed like a cat beating up hordes of clown goons, but when its also playing up the "realistic" street fight angle it just looks silly.

Alexias_Sandar

Nov 8, 2010
Honestly? Most 'thugs' suck. A lot. At least in real life. Skill versus thugs or bullies or bar rowdies usually means more than muscle mass. Among equally skilled opponents, strength, stamina, speed and reach matter a great deal more...as does specific forms of combat used, ability to read and respond appropriately and the like. But against most bruisers, honestly, they rely on pretty straightforward, predictable and inefficient attacks. Even a moderate amount of skill often more than makes up for reliance on brute force alone.

Now, if those thugs train and focus on honing their skills and the like...they're a great threat. Fortunately...most people that actually make the effort...aren't the same ones that go about attacking people at random. They have better things to do.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
O_O

That was so freaking cool! Also, kind of hot.

On an unrelated note...

semal said:

Bullsh- No, wait, that's rude.

*ahem* I'm extremely skeptical in regards to the veracity of that statement.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
One word: Amazing.
Now, if you don't mind me, i have to get watching the rest of their videos... xD

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Amazing indeed. I love how the guys get hit virtually anywhere other than the face, and yet they *all* end up clutching their heads. Just like in Arkham Asylum and Arkham City!

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
She used the whip, Oh yeah! This cat has claws!
Earnest Cavalli said:
I won't take the expected low-road by commenting on how physically attractive she is -- every other gaming journalist likely already has that creepy angle covered --
I'd like to infiltrate her bat-cave.
If this guy's a fan of the Adam West era Batman, he'll likely be carrying Bat-condoms, should this situation ever arise. I wonder if they'd have a reservoir tip shaped like the ears on his mask?

HappyDD

Jul 14, 2009
How is saying "That chick is hot" creepy? The word "creepy" has been used to describe everything from hiding in the bushes naked except for a trenchcoat to accidentally touching someone's hand while you both reached for the sugar at the same time at a coffee shop. I think the quote about the bat-cave infiltration is hilarious: since the people making the video obviously were "creepy" enough to have the actress showing cleavage they presumably knew their audience. To acknowledge she is a babe is not creepy, but saying that everyone out there calling her sexy is being a "creep" is idiotic.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Now heres my question and I believe its highly relevant. Why isn't this woman playing Catwoman in Dark Knight Rises!

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
HappyDD said:
How is saying "That chick is hot" creepy? The word "creepy" has been used to describe everything from hiding in the bushes naked except for a trenchcoat to accidentally touching someone's hand while you both reached for the sugar at the same time at a coffee shop. I think the quote about the bat-cave infiltration is hilarious: since the people making the video obviously were "creepy" enough to have the actress showing cleavage they presumably knew their audience. To acknowledge she is a babe is not creepy, but saying that everyone out there calling her sexy is being a "creep" is idiotic.
Agreed. Its just playing into the awful 'Omg nerds are so creeeepy!' stereotype. Please stop.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
it just looked like a remake of the original batman films with it's crappy sound effects
drop those and it's actually pretty good.

though the dork-man light sabre battles were by far the best amateur fights ive seen.
because, you know, light sabres.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-is63goeBgc

HappyDD said:
How is saying x creepy?
saying that everyone out there is x is idiotic.
riddle me his riddle me that!
my point of view is the best, and that's a fact!