Arkham City's New Game Plus Mode Ramps Up the Bat-Challenge

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Arkham City's New Game Plus Mode Ramps Up the Bat-Challenge

Prove that you can handle yourself in Arkham City, and the game will let you really test your mettle.

Picture the scene: You've just finished Batman: Arkham City [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I0JAVK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_g63_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0RBK9C73DJB3T497VHA9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846], and you loved it so much, that you want to play it all over again. Unfortunately, you're not sure it would really be a challenge a second time, and besides, you don't really want to give up all the super cool gadgets you have. If this sounds like something that might happen to you, then fear not, for Rocksteady has just the thing for you: Arkham City's New Game Plus Mode.

Rocksteady's Dax Ginn said that when players finished Arkham City's campaign mode, they could dive right back in with everything they've collected and unlocked. But instead of making the game easier, the tools and upgrades would be the only thing standing between Batman and a thorough pummeling. In the New Game Plus mode, Ginn said, all of the enemy configurations were different and the game didn't help you out by showing you who was about to attack. Instead, players would have to take very careful note of enemy animations, and react accordingly.

Obviously the New Game Plus mode isn't going to be for everyone, but for anyone really excited about the Arkham City gameplay, it's about as close as you're going to get to actually being Batman, without having to train all your life or lose your parents in a tragic alleyway shooting.

Batman: Arkham City comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on October 18th.

Source: GameTrailers [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pax-2011-batman-arkham/720021]

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
So basically it's a news report on something that Rocksteady are doing that was already featured in both Dead Space games (they're the most recent examples I could come up with)....?

Ok. Why is this newsworthy?

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
No_Remainders said:
So basically it's a news report on something that Rocksteady are doing that was already featured in both Dead Space games (they're the most recent examples I could come up with)....?

I can think of a couple reasons. The Batman: Arkham Asylum did not have New Game+, and most New Game+ enabled games that I have scene don't change the game up too much other than letting you start the game at whatever level your character ended the previous game.

In this case, Rocksteady is actually changing a substantial amount of gameplay and making the game more difficult, rather than simply allowing players to walk into the beginning of the game as a walking tank.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
No_Remainders said:

Well 1. Arkham City is going to be a strong contender for game of the year. 2. So what if Dead Space did it first? This is a 3rd person acting game not a first person shooter. Completely different. And 3. Because Dead Space was kind of a shitty game.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
The single, solitary reason I only played through Arkham Asylum once, instead of three or four times, was because I would've had to find all the Riddler crap all over again.

Seriously, it was only occasionally fun the first time, and I simply cannot be bothered doing it all over again. But if I don't, I miss out on the substantial amount of XP they give you for buying gear & unlocks.

This Game Plus mode sounds exactly like Hard mode in Arkham Asylum, with the 'addition' of a 'feature' that should've been the bloody standard, regardless of difficulty level, and I cannot for the life of me understand why it was not.

Negativity aside, they've obviously fixed it in the sequel, and for this I am grateful.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Yes! Awesome! Really excited for this. I loved fighting without the bat-vision on in the last game. This will just make it more fun. (Though, I suppose I should go back and finish the first one on hard, since this is going to be just like that... But worse...)

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Thomas Guy said:
No_Remainders said:

Well 1. Arkham City is going to be a strong contender for game of the year. 2. So what if Dead Space did it first? This is a 3rd person acting game not a first person shooter. Completely different. And 3. Because Dead Space was kind of a shitty game.
See, this is funny. I'd be surprised if you even played Dead Space, considering you called it a first person shooter?

Regardless. Dead Space, while lacking in the scary department, was actually quite fun (even if the second did last a total of five hours, and I wasn't really bothered playing it again). I still don't see a reason to report on something that's been done before. So what if they're letting you play again and raising the difficulty?

Until I get gameplay trailers, it can go away.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
Idea has been done before but still looks pretty fun. Hope it still has varying difficulties though, like the first one and not just the New Game Plus thing.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
So, it's just Hard mode, with all of your gadgets from the off? Pah. I beat B:AA on hard mode, and platinum'd it on my first playthrough. It's not difficult at all.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
No_Remainders said:
Thomas Guy said:
No_Remainders said:

See, this is funny. I'd be surprised if you even played Dead Space, considering you called it a first person shooter?

Regardless. Dead Space, while lacking in the scary department, was actually quite fun (even if the second did last a total of five hours, and I wasn't really bothered playing it again). I still don't see a reason to report on something that's been done before. So what if they're letting you play again and raising the difficulty?

Until I get gameplay trailers, it can go away.
That's right it was an over the shoulder 3rd person shooter. My bad. I just go done with several FPS titles and those god damn monsters jumping at me sort of made me forget that my guy was even in the picture. Yeah from what I played it was more frustrating than scary. Thanks for correcting me.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Do you guys know what this reminds me of? Devil May Cry, where the enemies started pulling off new moves in higher difficulties. How many times can you sign up for a game ? No mp, new game + that is not DLC, 3 times bigger than AA, whoooooo. October can't come fast enough.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
So I'm gonna have to play through the game once to play hard mode? Woo. I cannot contain my excitement.
Whatever. Just give me an Adam West mode and I'll be happy.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
If this means that the enemies' attack signals can't be turned off on the first playthrough, I'll be supremely disappointed. Still, my biggest complaint about Arkham Asylum was that once I beat it, I had no reason to play it again. It looks like they've fixed that problem, to an extent at least.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Woah, it's like some kind mix between regular New Game+ and a hardcore mode that can only be unlocked after finishing the game once O_O

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
Damn it batman, how many times do I have to tell you to SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Every single thing they say makes me want the damn game more, but the release date doesn't feel like it gets any closer...It makes me wish they'd stop releasing information already.

Stealthygamer

Apr 25, 2010
Thomas Guy said:
No_Remainders said:

1. is true

2. Dead Space is a third person shooter

3. it has an 86 on metacritic

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Every single piece of news about this game makes me want it more. I love New Game+ because I love replaying the games I really enjoyed, but I never want to give up all those cool things I got. The revamped difficulty isn't done often enough with New Game+ and I applaud them for that.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Just take my goddamn money already Rocksteady!!!!!

I've always liked New Game + modes. Prototype, Yakuza 4, Devil May Cry 3 just to name a few game that have this and which I still play to this day.