Arkham City's Penguin Shares a Voice With Nathan Drake

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Arkham City's Penguin Shares a Voice With Nathan Drake

Nolan North is playing yet another treasure seeker in Batman: Arkham City, only with fewer ancient vaults, and more bank vaults.

Nolan North has an awful lot of videogame credits to his name, and has lent his voice to roles as diverse as the treasure hunter Nathan Drake in the Uncharted series, to the fourth-wall breaking antihero Deadpool in Marvel vs. Capcom 3. And now he can add another superhero-focused role to his resume: the Penguin in Batman: Arkham City.

Rocksteady's Dax Ginn confirmed North's casting as the bird-themed crime boss in a video about the game. The Penguin is often portrayed as the scion of an affluent Gotham family, the Cobblepots. But in Arkham City it seems that not only is the Penguin not from Gotham, he's not even from the US; instead, North gives him Cockney accent, suggesting that he's from - or has at least spent a lot of time in - the rougher parts of London.

It sounds like we might be hearing a lot of that voice too, as Penguin is one of a group of villains who will be putting an awful lot of pressure on Batman. Ginn said that Rocksteady wanted to make the player feel the heat pretty much all the time, so that when he or she defeated one of the game's rogues gallery - which includes the Joker, Harley Quinn, the Riddler, and more besides - he or she really felt like the Dark Knight.

Batman: Arkham City comes out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on October 18th.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/314406/arkham-citys-penguin-voiced-by-nolan-north-confirmed/]

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
Heh, Bruce Wayne and Nathan Drake throwdown against each other. My money is on Drake.

I did not know that Nolan North was a big deal or that talented. I didn't know of his existence until Uncharted and his Deadpool voice over is very interesting to learn about. An awesome high five for him.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
well this could be hilarious, for some reason im imagining the penguin having Ray Winstones voice

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
airrazor7 said:
Heh, Bruce Wayne and Nathan Drake throwdown against each other. My money is on Drake.
I hope that was sarcasm.

Anyway, I don't HATE Nolan North. His ability to do a wide and varied range of voices is rivaled only by Steve Blum.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
It's not really news when Nolan North is in a videogame, is it? This is like saying Newsflash! Sun rises in east!

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Oh my. I can't imagine Nolan North voicing Penguin. At all. He's not a bad VA, but his range so far has been so extraordinarily limited. And I don't want to say "Nolan North always sounds the same"....

.........But he kinda does.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
He's in everything!

Nice to see him using his skills for something other than "smarmy Drake voice" recently, what with Resistance: Retribution's French git, Portal 2 and now Cockney Penguin under his belt.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
Haha. He's supposed to be doing the english voice for Madara Uchiha as well. Nolan North is such a voice whore at times. That being said he's actually rather talented. XD

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Yes, because every game needs to have Nolan North in it somehow. At least we know for sure that the Penguin will be played by someone decent, though I'd have to see how he plays the character to really approve of this choice.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
And I'm fairly sure that were it not for that announcement, most of the people who play this game wouldn't have noticed.

North has a pretty good range and is a very talented voice actor. I'm glad he's on board for this one.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Go onto gamesradar.com, they have a video of him.
Surprisingly, he sounds nothing like Nolan North. A shame every other game with him in he just plays Nolan North.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
And I'm fairly sure that were it not for that announcement, most of the people who play this game wouldn't have noticed.

North has a pretty good range and is a very talented voice actor. I'm glad he's on board for this one.
Judging by some reactions, it seems people have forgotten that there's already a trailer showing off the Penguin, where no one noticed it was him. People just see "Nolan North playing Penguin" and then suddenly think he'll be making wisecracks and saying "Kitty got wet!" when he kills you.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
GrizzlerBorno said:
Oh my. I can't imagine Nolan North voicing Penguin. At all. He's not a bad VA, but his range so far has been so extraordinarily limited. And I don't want to say "Nolan North always sounds the same"....

.........But he kinda does.
Didn't he also voice Deadpool,cause Deadpool sounds nothing like Nathan Drake if you ask me. You have to remember that Nolan North practically voices everyone so it may seem like that,but sometimes he just works.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Soooo... they hired an American voice actor to play a British character.
My question goes thus: Whyyy?

I like North, but this is just weird.

OutrageousEmu said:
I think At this point, we basically just put an award out at the end of year. "Best Nolan North of the Year".

And the Nominees - Nolan North in Portal 2. Nolan North in Batman Arkham City. Nolan North in Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. Nolan North in Darkness II. Nolan North in Uncharted 3. And the winner is.... Nolan North.
You forgot AC Brotherhood.