Arkham City's Penguin Shares a Voice With Nathan Drake

Number-14

Dec 13, 2010
Okay it's official, Nolan North is the videogame's Eddie Murphy.. or some other frequently used actor I don't know :/

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
Kakulukia said:
Soooo... they hired an American voice actor to play a British character.
My question goes thus: Whyyy?

I like North, but this is just weird.
I'll direct your attention the the 1992 movie with Dannie DeVito.

But furthermore, where do you get the idea he's british? The Penguin was born in Gotham.
Read the damn article.

That said, I really need to watch more Batman movies. I haven't seen any yet except for The Dark Knight... *shame*

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
GrizzlerBorno said:
Oh my. I can't imagine Nolan North voicing Penguin. At all. He's not a bad VA, but his range so far has been so extraordinarily limited. And I don't want to say "Nolan North always sounds the same"....

.........But he kinda does.

I'm going to have to disagree:

EDIT: And this is only part 1.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
So I guess that means the Penguin is going to be eating chimichangas with Deadpool in SPAAAAAAACE~!

... Yeah I couldn't help myself.

On a related note, I think Nolan North and Steve Blum made a bet to see which of them could be in the most video games humanly possible.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
GrizzlerBorno said:
Oh my. I can't imagine Nolan North voicing Penguin. At all. He's not a bad VA, but his range so far has been so extraordinarily limited. And I don't want to say "Nolan North always sounds the same"....

Does that sound like Nathan Drake to you? Only a couple of his characters sound alike.

But regardless of what he sounds like, I don't like this incarnation of the Penguin. Something like DeVito's Penguin would've been just perfect.

Dec 27, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:

Are you taking the p*ss? He's in bloody everything, the only you won't notice that unless you look it up is because his performances are so varied.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_North#Video_game_roles
Seriously, look at that list. The man's a human soundboard!

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
Kakulukia said:
Soooo... they hired an American voice actor to play a British character.
My question goes thus: Whyyy?

I like North, but this is just weird.
I'll direct your attention the the 1992 movie with Dannie DeVito.

But furthermore, where do you get the idea he's british? The Penguin was born in Gotham.
Because of his cockney voice, but then again, it's more of a presumption, but still, Norlan North isn't a bad thing, just looking forward for this so much :D

Coranico

Jul 28, 2009
GrizzlerBorno said:

There's a reason for that if he's to be believed. He says a lot of the time nowadays people just want him to do his normal voice because they want a guy who sounds like an everyman, which to be fair, Drake, the dude from Alpha Protocol and pretty much every dude he's done in the past few years are voiced in that way. But trust me, the range is there. When you hear him do an impression of Christopher Walken talking about manatees, that's how you know.

colonialmarine

Feb 3, 2011
I think that this quote from Sanzaru Games sums up the situation perfectly, "It's not an action game without Nolan North". They said this when talking about Sly 4 and when Sly was fighting a boss character voiced by north.

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
Why is it every time this man's name comes up people immediately think of Nathan Drake? I cant even remember what Nathan Drake sounds like, I would think of Deadpool before him. Regardless, his Penguin was good and I wouldnt have even known it was him if they didnt say.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
I really like North, but this penguin has got the worst fake cockney accent I've ever heard, it's grating, it hurts my ears and I can't imagine I'm going to be able to listen to it without weeping.

Also, Penguin is American, why the fuck does he have a (bad) English accent!?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
GrizzlerBorno said:

Which is why they should have cast Steve Blum for the role.

Oh wait...

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Of all the roles North did you pick Nathan Drake? Come on, there has to be something far more hilarious you could have come up with.