Arkham Kinght PC Re-Release Comes With Entire Arkham Library For Free

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Lightknight said:
EDIT: Hmm, that's right, Origins. Did they ever fix the problems with that one? I'd held off buying it for that reason and never got around to it. If fixed, that makes this olive branch worth my while. If still broke, no dice for me.
Well, it's better then it was at release, running more smoothly though I think it's demanding way too much of my computers resources for what's on offer. I have a graphics card that is a generation ahead of what was available when Origins was made and while I can get 60fps on max settings, it does chug every so often when exploring the open world and PhysX stuff is, typically, more resource demanding then it's worth.

In game it has issues that are a nuisance but don't hinder progression (though it can wall off achievements) and that seems to be by design. Unlike City, Origins requires you complete certain feats in order to unlock certain abilities. Each feat must be completed in sequence, you can't do them randomly out of order. This leads to a problem in one set where, if you aren't pushing yourself to beat them, you can easily go past the ONLY PLACE IN THE GAME where you can complete one of them and once that moment is past in game you'll have to wait till new game+ to get a second chance. This is fairly early in the list of feats which means the rest of the list is locked off until new game+, including bonus abilities (sonic batarangs shock ability for example).

Similarly one of the feats (a different category this time) seems impossible to accomplish without going into new game+. The last feat in the combat category requires you to stop a crime in progress in each major area of the game. But the bridge only seems to spawn one crime in progress as a scripted event then never spawns one again and that scripted event doesn't count to the feat (you need to have unlocked the feat for any action to count towards it). There is a workaround which requires to you trigger a crime in progress in nearby location, then lead them to the bridge district (not as hard as it sounds actually) which then counts towards it. There is also a convenient glitch that may occur which causes another crime in progress to count towards the bridge district, even if it's nowhere near it (you can do all the other districts, then fight one more crime in progress and for some reason it may or may not count towards the bridge districts even if you are nowhere near it).

They seem to deliberately make it so you can't 100% the riddlers challenges until you go into the post game free roam. This isn't made clear and I spent several hours looking for an unmarked "data handler" between missions. He appears (directly in front of you) post game... but there is a glitch where he doesn't appear at all (though that can be fixed by exiting and reloading). This again seems to be an issue with the bridge district.

Beyond that the game has some balance issues. Much the same as the previous arkham games you can easily make it through most combat encounters with strikes and counters, and the gadgets are just a little extra flair if you feel like using them. Though they try to mix things up a bit more in Origins then in City to force you to use other abilities. However they give you a powerful ability midway through the game that completely wrecks any semblance of challenge and makes getting high combos ludicrously simple. It's great for feeling like a badass but, beyond bosses, it trivializes combat.

All that aside, I still enjoyed origins. I think it's narrative is stronger and more focused then City, it has more interesting boss battles even if they are pretty simple and short and the combat system for all it's flaws feels better once you get a feel for it. City and Asylum feel kind of floaty by comparison.

It's far from perfect and City is still the best in the series, but depending on your tolerance for certain failings, and a certain amount of luck as to what issues you might encounter, it's still very enjoyable and has some fairly memorable moments. If your getting it cheap and like all things batman I'd say it's worth it.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Feel free to get mad about the horrible shittiness of the release, and the hilariously long wait for them to fix the broken bullshit. If you complain about free stuff however, you're petty and selfish. They owe you a working game, not a Christmas present.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Great, HERE'S FREE GAMES, that we can safely bet you already paid us for, uhhhh....right, here's an idea how about you knock 20$ off that price and give out some free DLC? And as for the argument of "Quit complaining about free stuff" It's not free if we already own the games, and no they are not giftable, and second, the original release was inexcusable, so quit being a corporate shill by claiming "They don't owe you anything" they owe us quite a bit frankly

Sep 24, 2008
Braedan said:
Feel free to get mad about the horrible shittiness of the release, and the hilariously long wait for them to fix the broken bullshit. If you complain about free stuff however, you're petty and selfish. They owe you a working game, not a Christmas present.
A measured move to feign remorse is no move at all.

From David Haddad, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment [http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150623005349/en/Warner-Bros.-Interactive-Entertainment-Launches-Batman-Arkham]
?The Batman: Arkham series is one of Warner Bros.? most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises, and with Batman: Arkham Knight, we are giving players the game they have always asked for,? said David Haddad, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. ?Batman: Arkham Knight is the culmination of Rocksteady Studios? dedication to deliver both an amazing narrative tale and thrilling gameplay experience from beginning to end.?

?Rocksteady has been truly honored to bring to life the rich universe envisioned by DC Comics in the Batman: Arkham trilogy of games,? said Sefton Hill, Game Director at Rocksteady Studios. ?With Batman: Arkham Knight being the conclusion to the series, we wanted to give players a story filled with unforgettable moments, ambitious new features such as the Batmobile and an epic open-world Gotham City that allow them to live the complete Batman experience.?
They know it's a popular game. They know it's sold well. They wouldn't have made these many games if the previous didn't sell like pancakes. Making a calculated gesture that they know only a fraction of their install base will ever take is a shrewd move. It will cost them pennies on the dollar because there will be few takers.

Especially on a market like steam where once a year, we open our wallets and get everything we were waiting for (By the way, Fallout 4 Game of the Year Edition.... Soon) during a mega summer sale, Warner Bros has direct numbers of who has what game. And they can project who would actually want what to minimize any damage to themselves. People offering you what you already own is not free. And Warner Bros did that for literally millions of people. I'm not going to deride them for not giving me the free stuff that I want, but I'm not going to praise them for a calculated, hollow gesture.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
truckspond said:
They give you THREE WHOLE GAMES FOR FREE and that's still not substantial enough?
If I were to look at your games library and give you 3 games you already own it'd be a pretty empty gesture. The only one I don't have is arkham asylum because I played that on console before I got my pc, and even now I really can't say I'm interested in buying the game.

Maybe one the price drops and a sale hits. It's a nice gesture, but an empty one.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
truckspond said:
They give you THREE WHOLE GAMES FOR FREE and that's still not substantial enough?
well, considering that the people they're trying to make amends with are not new to the series and that steam doesn't allow people to do anything with additional copies of games they already own, it's three whole free nothings of no value, from zilchtown

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
truckspond said:
I think the issue is that a very large amount of people interested in this game will already have the previous games. Giving away all the new dlc for Knight however would have been much more preferable.