Arma III Preview: A Taste of Brilliance

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Game looks great. A shame that this game reminds me that two developers are still in a Greece jail on bogus charges of espionage.

Other than that...hope it turns out to be a good game.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Game looks great. A shame that this game reminds me that two developers are still in a Greece jail on bogus charges of espionage.

HRK?! They got released over a month ago. :)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121519-Greece-Releases-Detained-Arma-III-Developers-on-Bail

OT: I already put seventeen hours into the alpha alone. I am totally stoked for the content updates coming over the next few months leading up to the beta.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Saulkar said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:

HRK?! They got released over a month ago. :)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121519-Greece-Releases-Detained-Arma-III-Developers-on-Bail

OT: I already put seventeen hours into the alpha alone. I am totally stoked for the content updates coming over the next few months leading up to the beta.
Well, I'm glad that ended as amicably as possible. Still, 5K euros each for what amounts to hostage money? Greece can't collapse fast enough for that farce. But both developers are home with their families - ain't no amount of money can be put on that. I hope the Arma 3 developers throw some kind of "troll" mission in there just to stick it to the Greece authorities. Or to say, "Here's how we immortalize you: eternal asshatery."

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
I hope the Arma 3 developers throw some kind of "troll" mission in there just to stick it to the Greece authorities. Or to say, "Here's how we immortalize you: eternal asshatery."
Pffft. I would not doubt that someone modded in such a mission in the first couple of hours after release. The great thing about the arma series is that it is the rule 34 of video games. If exists someone modded it into the game. ;-)

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I've played a number of military type games, all different genres but I've never been the biggest fan of them.

This video though intrigues me.
I find myself curious and sort of wanting to try this out.
It looks different. I can't explain why and what, but it does.
Thank ya contributor for this article.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
RicoADF said:
Now the question is who to give the alpha keys to....
As a MOD I DEMAND the keys or I will BAN you FOREVER!
No, not really. Can you imagine? But I would totally take one! I'll be buying it no matter what, but a little play time in before the paycheck would be sweet!

More on topic: I've had ARMA 2 for a while, but never got big into it until recently, for some reason. I originally got it for Day Z, but it's just too much of a pain in the ass to get my separate (For some reason) installs of ARMA 2 and Operation Arrowhead (Both owned on Steam) into a 'Combined Operations' install, and get the Mod working. I'll just wait for the stand alone. But I stated actually trying the game itself, and it's a blast! Once you do the tutorial/training missions to get a handle on the controls and interface (I still can't land a plane, but I'm OK with that), it's a really refreshing break from other 'military' shooters.

And so this is looking great! The graphics look improved, and everyone is saying it's got better optimization! Which is really great, since Arma 2 runs like a dream on my current machine. So I'll be laughing with this! Sign me up. I want to one-shot some insurgents! Or, more accurately, I want to get one shotted by some insurgents.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I am quite impressed with the alpha build thusfar. I have found far fewer bugs than I expected, and the improvements were immediately noticeable.

- The animations are far more fluid than those in ArmA and ArmA II.
- The sounds are more realistic and gunfire is loud enough to drown out comms sometimes (as it should be).
- Vehicles handle with some realism; slipping and skidding around tight turns at high speeds.
- A physics model has been introduced + ragdolls. When stuff blows up, it... well, blows up!
- Volumetric clouds! Severe weather looks more onimous than ever, and the wind is now a variable in the editor; a nice touch.
- The editor has been streamlined a bit. ArmA vets don't need to worry though because you can still use the traditional interface if you don't want to try something new.
- FUNCTIONS LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They appear to have added a function library to the editor! This will undoubtedly help new editors and modders get their work off the ground.

The list could go on. Overall, this is a giant leap forward for the franchise, and I can't wait to get my hands on the beta release. I've been enjoying the alpha for two days now, and I can't wait to get my hands on more content.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
Baby Tea said:
No, not really. Can you imagine? But I would totally take one! I'll be buying it no matter what, but a little play time in before the paycheck would be sweet!
I've got one to spare, but the invites we have is for the un-moddable version that only features Singleplayer, and won't allow you to save scenarios. And on top of that, it won't be released until March 12th, and until then, I can't send any out.

The Lite version is basically just meant as a teaser demo, but since you're already interested, I guess that's all you need to make your decision.

Keep in mind that buying Alpha also buys you the Beta, full game and all that jazz.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
CCountZero said:
Baby Tea said:
I've got one to spare, but the invites we have is for the un-moddable version that only features Singleplayer, and won't allow you to save scenarios. And on top of that, it won't be released until March 12th, and until then, I can't send any out.

The Lite version is basically just meant as a teaser demo, but since you're already interested, I guess that's all you need to make your decision.

Keep in mind that buying Alpha also buys you the Beta, full game and all that jazz.
Yeah, I'll just buy it tonight. I know I want it, and my check came in today (I thought it was next week!) so that's pretty much decided. Can't wait to try it out!

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
piinyouri said:
I've played a number of military type games, all different genres but I've never been the biggest fan of them.

Once the invite keys are given out 14th I'll send you one to check it out if you'd like. However it is Alpha so its upto you weather u wanna take a peep now or later.

Kataskopo

Dec 18, 2009
RicoADF said:
piinyouri said:

Once the invite keys are given out 14th I'll send you one to check it out if you'd like. However it is Alpha so its upto you weather u wanna take a peep now or later.
Those Alpha keys sure sound heavy. Maybe I could help you share the load of one key for you :)

I remember downloading the ARMA 2 demo and it ran bad, and the controls were weird. I may give it another try, I loved the whole DayZ thing and it looks like a shooter I could get into.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Damn that game looks cool. I always thought ArmA II looked a bit janky, but this looks like a massive imporovement. I will definitely be getting this when it comes out.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Kataskopo said:
RicoADF said:
piinyouri said:

Those Alpha keys sure sound heavy. Maybe I could help you share the load of one key for you :)

I remember downloading the ARMA 2 demo and it ran bad, and the controls were weird. I may give it another try, I loved the whole DayZ thing and it looks like a shooter I could get into.
Oh how nice to help me, do you think you could also carry...... *turns around to see you already gone*
I'll send u the key when it arrives.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
Times like these I wish my laptop was better or I had a decent computer in general

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
Baneat said:
Have they fixed the ballistics at all so they're more realistic?
we did some calcs on the speed vs. bullet drop and they apear to be (within reason without doing cross section analusis).

for example if a bullet does ~300 m/s it drops ~0.6m (60cm) which is roughly what you would expect

the problem is that there is no metric height texture yet to measure off (like a target with 0.1m intervals on it

also wind isn't taken into account yet, but ACE normally does that

also its surprising how wow a 0.5 version runs, its very smooth for a alpha, and its playable (almost unheard of for alpha!)

the BIS forums have lots of people bitching about how its not as good as BF3 after a year of post release support though *FACEDESK*

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
oliver.begg said:
Baneat said:
we did some calcs on the speed vs. bullet drop and they apear to be (within reason without doing cross section analusis).

for example if a bullet does ~300 m/s it drops ~0.6m (60cm) which is roughly what you would expect

the problem is that there is no metric height texture yet to measure off (like a target with 0.1m intervals on it

also its surprising how wow a 0.5 version runs, its very smooth for a alpha, and its playable (almost unheard of for alpha!)

the BIS forums have lots of people bitching about how its not as good as BF3 after a year of post release support though *FACEDESK*
Just bought it there, it looks great. Problem is that all my NPC models ingame are getting giant white spiky stuff that makes it impossible to aim. Performance aint too bad, but I have a good CPU and a meh GPU so that's to be expected from such a CPU-heavy series.

The problem with ARMA2's physics was that it was very basic newtonian stuff that simplified everything. Sniping on ACE was impossible at 1km compared to A2's

oliver.begg

Oct 7, 2010
Baneat said:
oliver.begg said:
Baneat said:

Just bought it there, it looks great. Problem is that all my NPC models ingame are getting giant white spiky stuff that makes it impossible to aim. Performance aint too bad, but I have a good CPU and a meh GPU so that's to be expected from such a CPU-heavy series.

The problem with ARMA2's physics was that it was very basic newtonian stuff that simplified everything. Sniping on ACE was impossible at 1km compared to A2's
try turning HDR and AA off, as well as vsync, their are some bug reports on AA causing massive white flair ups

and i coukd reliable snipe in ACE, you just needed the kestral and the knowledge of the distance and windage settings (and charts :D)