Armed Fantasia (Wild Arms spiritual succesor) and Penny Blood (Shadow Hearts spiritual successor) double KS announced, looking hype!

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy

Classic-feeling Jrpg with gorgeous graphics and coolness up the wazoo, not to mention the smooth music, contrasted with a dark and seedy contemporary full of eldritch horror. Looking into this, may very likely back it. It just got announced and it has already almost met its 700k goal too.

Last edited:

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I loved the Shadow Hearts games so I'll be keeping an eye on Penny Blood. Here's to hoping for the best atmospheric horror of the first, the overall polish/content of the second, and the combat of the third.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I loved the Shadow Hearts games so I'll be keeping an eye on Penny Blood. Here's to hoping for the best atmospheric horror of the first, the overall polish/content of the second, and the combat of the third.
I'm kinda vacillating between the two, I can't tell which I like more, the style and themes of Penny are more my cup of tea but a western Jrpg reminds me of Trigun in the best of ways and I can't help imagining all the coolness.

Also it seems in Penny you had to do some sort of minigame for the attack to land right and I always loved that since the legend of dragoon did it.

I will prolly back em both lol.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Games already fully funded in less than a day. I guess people love Jrpgs XD.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Ok. Redhead dude is hotblooded and not too bright, but courageous and all about his friends, and probably some chosen one archetype. Blue haired glasses dude is calm and intelligent, but hides a dark past. The girl's personality is kind and girl, maybe with some angsting about not being helpful enough.

Or maybe not, but those Armed Fantasia character designs are some Shonen Protag 101 looking shizzle. Besides, it's a Wild Arms spiritual successor, right? So where the hats, leather chaps, spurred boots, fringe jackets, and duster coats at?

But whatever, Penny Blood is more my speed anyway. Gimme that alternate history cosmic horror.
Also it seems in Penny you had to do some sort of minigame for the attack to land right and I always loved that since the legend of dragoon did it.
So did Shadow Hearts. Ok, Legend of Dragoon technically did it earlier, but the minigame is no doubt there because Shadow Hearts did it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Ok. Redhead dude is hotblooded and not too bright, but courageous and all about his friends, and probably some chosen one archetype. Blue haired glasses dude is calm and intelligent, but hides a dark past. The girl's personality is kind and girl, maybe with some angsting about not being helpful enough.

Or maybe not, but those Armed Fantasia character designs are some Shonen Protag 101 looking shizzle. Besides, it's a Wild Arms spiritual successor, right? So where the hats, leather chaps, spurred boots, fringe jackets, and duster coats at?

But whatever, Penny Blood is more my speed anyway. Gimme that alternate history cosmic horror.
So did Shadow Hearts. Ok, Legend of Dragoon technically did it earlier, but the minigame is no doubt there because Shadow Hearts did it.
Based on the stuff on the KS, redhead loses his grandad so he abandons his town to go fulfill his childhood promise to his friend but due to living in a rough environment he's more mature than he looks (sorta right), blue hair guy is said friend, an intelligent type who had to move away from the town for family reasons and abandoned their promise. Girl is a knight of some order of peace keepers who try to uphold the law who has a beautiful air about her but fights surprisingly competently despite that.

They mentioned stuff about variable costumes so I expect hats and boots and ponchos to be there XD.

Penny Blood definitely seems a lot more original and unique, but at the same time that whistling music while my boi is firing his laser pistol is something that speaks to my manly soul.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I feel like 700K is nowhere near enough to make two games...

Last wild arms was very meh, they went way to anime in everything and this looks to be continuing that trend so I'm not that excited about it...

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Yeah the initial goal was pretty low but they're nearing 900k now so it's gonna be fine, it's only day 1 too.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It does seem very little. Then again, it has been shown that with modern tools even small teams can create impressive games on modest budgets. But on the other hand, those usually don't have the scope of a jprg.

Tho another possibility is that they have other source(s) of funding, and the Kickstarter is more of a means of gauging interest. That's not really without precedent.

Reactions: BrawlMan

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA

Last wild arms was very meh, they went way to anime in everything and this looks to be continuing that trend so I'm not that excited about it...
True. The gameplay was best in Wild Arms 3, and it's also where they stuck to the Wild West theme the closest. Except maybe Alter Code F which was just a WA3ed version of the first game. WA4 and 5 barely had anything to do with the original games at all in setting, tone, or gameplay. They were so divorced from the originals that they were clearly games meant to be another series that Media Vision rolled into Wild Arms. Not that they were unplayable just... obviously not Wild Arms anymore.

That and I hate when a game has a time loop in the plot unless the plot is about getting out of said loop.

That's my big concern with Armed Fantasia. Will it have a Wild West theme and setting? Will it feature world map exploration with a radar ping system? Will the combat system be a bunch of people shooting at the enemies with a bit of magic powers without some stupid grid system? Looks from that trailer to be the latter at least. Just put in the party and the enemy running around faux attacking each other between turns and we'll be golden.

Last edited:
Reactions: meiam

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
That's my big concern with Armed Fantasia. Will it have a Wild West theme and setting? Will it feature world map exploration with a radar ping system? Will the combat system be a bunch of people shooting at the enemies with a bit of magic powers without some stupid grid system? Looks from that trailer to be the latter at least. Just put in the party and the enemy running around faux attacking each other between turns and we'll be golden.
So they have been giving some backer updates and the answer to most of those is a yes. They especially emphasize the world map system and exploration with a vehicle as well as puzzle solving in dungeons. The combat is old school Jrpg but with some QTEs and other timing things involved, no grid movement.

They update you 3 times a week and today was "worldbuilding wednesday", so they talked about that stuff a bit.

Reactions: immortalfrieza

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
So there's a new Penny trailer hitting because we solved a KS riddle, fun times. Should be up at the game's official site soon.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Big news for music lovers. Nobuo Uematsu is gonna work on Penny Blood too apparently. Also 2 weeks left, lots of stretchy goals been stretched. Closing in to 1.5m.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm, I did love me some Shadow Hearts. Have to keep an eye out.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Big news for music lovers. Nobuo Uematsu is gonna work on Penny Blood too apparently. Also 2 weeks left, lots of stretchy goals been stretched. Closing in to 1.5m.
Huh didn't know he still worked, I half suspect its more of a publicity stunt than anything but I hope I'm wrong.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Huh didn't know he still worked, I half suspect its more of a publicity stunt than anything but I hope I'm wrong.
Nah they put out a video with him and his musicians, he discussed how in his 30s he visited Ireland and was hooked on folk music from the region so he was revisiting his old Irish Lute teachings from that era. (since the protagonist in Penny is Irish-American and this will involve his past a lot there is all sorts of music involved that will be from Irish roots)

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Today's the last day for the KS, if you're gonna back it's now or nevah!

Also they've revealed more party members for both games and a ton of info. We got more weapon types in AF and PB has a Baby Cthulhu that you raise. Mad fun times.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
So in just over 2.6 million bucks we managed to get all stretch goals! Hype is real.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'll be happy if we get true spiritual successor, but I still think that's not enough money to make not just one but two game. I feel like they'll either be really short or terribly unfinished (might number 9 says hi). They might go try to get more money down the road by paterning with a publisher or something.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I'll be happy if we get true spiritual successor, but I still think that's not enough money to make not just one but two game. I feel like they'll either be really short or terribly unfinished (might number 9 says hi). They might go try to get more money down the road by paterning with a publisher or something.
Oh yeah obviously they will find publishers too. This is more like a tool used to show demand. They had a backer only concert with a bunch of other people who did good on KS (the creator of castlevania had to sing karaoke lol) and they talked about how it takes like ten times as much money to actually make a game like that, but that the value of each donation is multiplued by a hundred in the effect it has on development thanks to publishers being swayed by it.

Mighty Number 9's issue was trying to become a franchise and spreading itself too thin with making anime spinoffs and so on.