Armello is a Wonderfully Unique Take on Fuzzy, Murderous Politics

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015

"It's like Game of Thrones, only everyone is a fluffy animal," League of Geeks founder and director Trent Kusters told me at PAX, and I think this was a mistake.

Read Full Article

John Markley

Jun 29, 2015
Lizzy Finnegan said:

"It's like Game of Thrones, only everyone is a fluffy animal," League of Geeks founder and director Trent Kusters told me at PAX, and I think this was a mistake.

Read Full Article
And yet no incest mechanics? I call shenanigans.

Seriously, though, looks neat! How much do players typically interact- is there a lot of scope for them to help or harm each other? Seems like that could get really interesting with human players.

Nobuoa Schniell

Jan 23, 2012
There's a lot of back and forth you can do, to playing helpful/harmful spells on others, setting traps for them, or directly attacking them. There are a few cards too that act as sort of trade agreements (like one that gives you and the person you use the card on an additional gold at the start of each dawn) that stay in play so long as both of your characters are alive, both encouraging you to look out for one another and encouraging others to go after you. I've had games where players were mostly passive, trying to go through their quest lines and working towards individual win conditions without stepping too hard on other's toes (until the end), and I've played games where players were utterly ruthless to eachother, trapping them in, hunting them down, or crippling their hand. There's enough variety in cards to handle a lot of different playstyles.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
Met these guys at PAX, Awesome friendly team. Picked up the game and have been having a blast with it. 100% can recommend.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Weirdly enough extra credits just had a James recommends Armello.
Although he does spend the first 2 minutes not talking about the game.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
John Markley said:
Seriously, though, looks neat! How much do players typically interact- is there a lot of scope for them to help or harm each other? Seems like that could get really interesting with human players.
A number of the podcasts that I listen to have talk about this game, and from the sound of things that's the entire basis of the game: screw and backstab your fellow players as much as you possibly can so that you can win the game.

On another note: from what I've heard the wolf - as the strongest fighter - is a bit broken as it can easily complete the most quests and get to a victory condition relatively quickly.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
RJ 17 said:
John Markley said:
A number of the podcasts that I listen to have talk about this game, and from the sound of things that's the entire basis of the game: screw and backstab your fellow players as much as you possibly can so that you can win the game.

On another note: from what I've heard the wolf - as the strongest fighter - is a bit broken as it can easily complete the most quests and get to a victory condition relatively quickly.
I think he's also the weakest magic wise and has few cards to interact with others. So he needs to corner other players to inflict lasting damage. Just keep distance and screw with him through cards

Feb 28, 2008
Been playing a fair bit of the game recently, and enjoying it very much. Having said that, I have a few issues with it: the Prestige victory is privileged as the option for most matches, and a Rot victory seems downright impossible; also it would be a lifesaver if they could implement a rejoin feature for multi-player matches, as I've experienced a few errors that have ruined games. But other than those, a solid first release from LoG.

Kletian999

Aug 31, 2015
The wolves only look strongest until you master cardplay, which they are not good at. Likewise, high Fight characters make the most challenging AI because the AI doesn't use cards to their full effect. Brun the bear can annihilate Thane the wolf with his spellknight power.

Nobuoa Schniell

Jan 23, 2012
Kletian999 said:
The wolves only look strongest until you master cardplay, which they are not good at. Likewise, high Fight characters make the most challenging AI because the AI doesn't use cards to their full effect. Brun the bear can annihilate Thane the wolf with his spellknight power.
That's why the rats are deceptively strong with their high Wit.

Nobuoa Schniell

Jan 23, 2012
MasterOfHisOwnDomain said:
Been playing a fair bit of the game recently, and enjoying it very much. Having said that, I have a few issues with it: the Prestige victory is privileged as the option for most matches, and a Rot victory seems downright impossible; also it would be a lifesaver if they could implement a rejoin feature for multi-player matches, as I've experienced a few errors that have ruined games. But other than those, a solid first release from LoG.
Rot only seems impossible at first. Once you get enough rot to become corrupted, you'll start gaining rot incredibly quickly as each kill gives you 1 point of rot. As soon as you have more rot than the king, you can go in and face him, as you'll get all of his rot as additional dice for yourself. Best thing to do at the start is intentionally lose to banes, and try your best to dump your hand each turn (burning cards during fights or perils works) and try to pick up only spell cards, as they have the most cards that can give you rot. Like I said, once you get past that starting hump, you'll start to get rot very quickly and will have an almost guaranteed victory against the king once you surpass his rot (as long as you can reach him in time).