Arrogant Sony Is At It Again: Does Sony Think You're Worthy Enough to Preorder a PS5?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Short version

Starting Wednesday, prospective buyers can go to Sony's official preorder site to express their interest in purchasing a PS5. Users only need to enter one piece of information into the form: their PlayStation Network ID. And ... that's it.

From there, Sony will determine exactly who will be deigned worthy of a shot at purchasing a PS5, and this will be based on "previous interests and PlayStation activities." Exactly what that information is, and how it will be weighted, is currently unclear. Years of membership? Number of games owned? Whether the account in question pays for subscription services like PlayStation Plus or PlayStation Now, or merely uses a wholly free PSN account? Sony has yet to clarify this point.

Reactions: Kae

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This annoys me. But it is likely Sony trying to get ahead of unfulfillable pre-orders. I have a feeling that the Ps5 is going to be in short supply and Sony's knows that. So in order to try and avoid problems they are doing an application process. That way when guaranteed stock runs out they can reject all other pre-orders.

Doesn't mean i like it. But....I wasn't going to rush out and buy a ps5 on day 1 anyway so I don't really care. They'll be on shelves soon enough.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Doesn't mean i like it. But....I wasn't going to rush out and buy a ps5 on day 1 anyway so I don't really care. They'll be on shelves soon enough.
I'll be waiting 1.5-2 years regardless, but I think is selfish and idiotic on their part. The fact that they and Microsoft have not yet even revealed the price point and expet people to pre-order on the spot reeks of their behavior during the early PS3 era. Based on how "loyal" you are to their brand. You may be the biggest fan boy or fan girl in the world, have the money, and still not get jack shit. They're going for the most desperate.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I suppose one could say this is a little sleazy but this is concern like....#4,631,275 on my list of concerns when it comes to everything going on...

If Sony is going to sell their (what is almost certainly going to be) very limited stock to people, they'd likely want to reward big Playstation fans. Obviously Sony is looking to gain from this too as their big fans are likely the ones who will shower your shiny new system with praise but I just can't seem to bring myself to really care all that much about this.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
On one hand its weird, but on the other hand we are in the world of the scalpers who will buy the fuck out of things and sell them on ebay. This could be argued to be a method to make sure that the people that really want a ps5 can get one.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
On one hand its weird, but on the other hand we are in the world of the scalpers who will buy the fuck out of things and sell them on ebay
That is what partially bothers me too. Realized it the moment I saw the article.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That is what partially bothers me too. Realized it the moment I saw the article.
Yeah cause it really does seem like they are trying to make sure the people that can preorder it are ones that will actually use the system. Or at least make sure those users are able to get one. Its a weird way of doing it but it does make sense.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
The whole thing is extremely suspect, I don't really think launching this year is a good idea, but I guess who am I to doubt the wisdom of a massive corporation.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
On one hand its weird, but on the other hand we are in the world of the scalpers who will buy the fuck out of things and sell them on ebay. This could be argued to be a method to make sure that the people that really want a ps5 can get one.
And given the ridiculous markups you typically see in this kind of situation (wasn't the NES Mini getting sold off for nearly triple the asking price at one point?), those people will have to really want one.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
And given the ridiculous markups you typically see in this kind of situation (wasn't the NES Mini getting sold off for nearly triple the asking price at one point?), those people will have to really want one.
Yeah the nes mini was crazy. So was the snes mini. But i ended up waiting for a while and finding one at msrp no problem.

This is likely to stop that or at least try and prevent it. But it is easy to paint everything as sinister and evil if you are like Jim Fucking Sterling Son.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is likely to stop that or at least try and prevent it. But it is easy to paint everything as sinister and evil if you are like Jim Fucking Sterling Son.
Once again, Jim has a point. I don't agree with him on everything either, but let's remember that ain't doing it for "our" benefit. Only theirs. Don't forget, they are the ones asking "Are You Worthy Enough to Buy a PS5?". Are You?!

Reactions: gorfias and Kae

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Once again, Jim has a point. I don't agree with him on everything either, but let's remember that ain't doing it for "our" benefit. Only theirs. Don't forget, they are the ones asking "Are You Worthy Enough to Buy a PS5?". Are You?!
I might be. I dunno.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Sounds like they just want to make sure that the people preordering the console are actually playstation users and not scalpers who are going to turn around and sell it on ebay.

They know they're going to have limited production and high demand, clearly they want to push the console in the hands of people who want to use it rather than sell it.

Last edited:

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
PSN Account with actual activity = One person = One pre-order allotment.

So regular old counterplay to unauthorized reseller/scalpers (I dunno if thats the term, but same idea)/etc. With the higher likelihood of online ordering due to COVID, there was bound to be some effort at restricting that sort of thing, and your PSN is info Sony has already at hand to verify.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I wonder how many Platinums or 100%’s they’ll set as a minimum barrier to entry. Even if I put my id into the hat I wouldn’t want one until there’s a slim bundle with either Bloodborne 2, Silent Hill Reboot, or some other surprise.

Also I didn’t watch Jim’s video, but did he come down to earth to mention any of the points several people in this thread made about curbing the resale exploits, or was it just his usual pompous spiel as that stupid aristocrat asshat?