Arrow Takes on Hackers in "The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak"

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Arrow Takes on Hackers in "The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak"

Felicity's past puts the future of Starling City at risk when a hacker group targets the city.

Read Full Article

Wolyo

Sep 27, 2013
Wasn't Oliver's Flashback on the previous episode not this one?

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Wolyo said:
Wasn't Oliver's Flashback on the previous episode not this one?
It was said last week that they would talk about the flashbacks this week as they haven't given them much time in the previous reviews/recaps.

Wolyo

Sep 27, 2013
P-89 Scorpion said:
It was said last week that they would talk about the flashbacks this week as they haven't given them much time in the previous reviews/recaps.
Oh, sorry. I missed the last review.

Thank you for the explanation.

Shayman

Mar 6, 2014
There is some seriously cringe worthy lines in this season but I still love it! Can't wait for next.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Shayman said:
There is some seriously cringe worthy lines in this season but I still love it! Can't wait for next.
"Black, definitely black." My eyes almost rolled out of my head after that one.

OT: Here are my pros and cons of this episode:
+That was a pretty cool action scene with Ollie taking out the turrets.
+Showed off just how much they need Felicity.
+Felicity's actress continues to be great. The dialogue was pretty corny with her mom but I think she saved it.
+The twist. I really hope it isn't a red herring because Roy has been really boring this season.
+Diggle is finally wearing a mask
+Ray Palmer continues to steal scenes for me.

-Laurel doing dumb things.
-Predictable plot (who didn't expect the bad guy to be Felicity's ex?)
-Again, some really corny dialogue.
-Laurel saying dumb things.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I wasn't looking forward to this episode to be honest, fun supporting characters are usually best as just that, supporting characters. but I actually really enjoyed it, Ray Palmers innocence/creepiness is hilarious to me. Hes really getting a shot to show his charisma a chance he never got in Superman Returns. The Boyfriend plot was pretty predictable to be honest though.

RedDeadFred said:
+The twist. I really hope it isn't a red herring because Roy has been really boring this season.
If you watch the original scene from episode one you can hear a bow tensing between each shot, in Roys nightmare he throws The Arrows. Which is weird because how could he have the strength to do that post mirakuru, and if he wasn't present how did she said "What are you doing here?" before dying.

I'm guessing that the Mirakuru has lingering effects.

i4njw

May 7, 2014
I didn't really like this episode. SUPER predictable plot, lame dialogue, slipping back into dat CW cheese. It felt like a season 1 episode. I dug the action scenes (especially those motion-sensor-activated guns, which, while dumb in concept, are awesome in execution) and the inclusion of Brother Eye, though.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Soxafloppin said:
I wasn't looking forward to this episode to be honest, fun supporting characters are usually best as just that, supporting characters. but I actually really enjoyed it, Ray Palmers innocence/creepiness is hilarious to me. Hes really getting a shot to show his charisma a chance he never got in Superman Returns. The Boyfriend plot was pretty predictable to be honest though.

RedDeadFred said:
If you watch the original scene from episode one you can hear a bow tensing between each shot, in Roys nightmare he throws The Arrows. Which is weird because how could he have the strength to do that post mirakuru, and if he wasn't present how did she said "What are you doing here?" before dying.

I'm guessing that the Mirakuru has lingering effects.
Good catch! That makes this really interesting in that it's probably going to set Laurel on a warpath against him while Ollie is understanding and tries to stop her. Maybe she'll get killed by Roy too and that'll set Captain Lance against him. This actually sounds like it could play out very well and fairly unpredictably too.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Bottom Line: "The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak" is a treat for fans of the series and the comics. A challenging threat-of-the-week combined with great character moments and a bullet-flinging fight scene delivers the best episode of the season yet."

No, this was the worst episode yet actually.
The technical stuff is truly cringeworthy if you know about that kind of stuff.
Or just use some logic;

Oh no! I made that 5 years ago, and there's no way I can stop it now!
Also, he made no changes to it appearantly.
So the 300+ fixed IP adresses (?) I hardcoded in are what I need to target. Let's hope not all of them still have a firewall (which is 5 years old by now?). Because I can't break firewalls, it's just what I do ALL the time for breaking into the hardest targets in the world!
Also, it's a good thing that no one patched their software at all the past 5 years, so the virus still totally works!
Also, no one in the NSA keeps tabs on their evil hacker, which they just excused from service after a while.
Also, good thing he did not really learn anything those five years hacking for the NSA whilst not modifying Da Supa-virus!

In short; just NOT use actual words from IT, unless a real Smoak is writing the script...
This episode was based entirely on awful TV-tropes, like Smoak sometimes hacking EVERYTHING, then not being able to hack most stuff at all.

The HDD repair was also stupid; you generally send it to the worlds experts who can do miraculous things in dust free white rooms. Because a single dust particle can ruin the platters completely. And then we see an *upright* drive appearantly running without a cover at all... Sigh..............

I hope Smoak doesn't get more lines or other cringeworthy developments.