Artemis: Multiplayer Mayhem on a Starship Bridge

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Hmm, going to check out the demo.
Also according to the site, the full version costs $60. HOWEVER, one copy can be legally installed on all 6 computers of your "bridge", which I think is great :D

mrverbal

May 23, 2008
And it was *first* done about 15 years ago. Some friends of mine built a game called 'Bridge Crew' (http://www.mithril.com.au/promo.htm) which was, more or less, this game. Of course, they've loooooooong since given up updating it that I am aware, but it was pretty solid for its day.

The more things change...

zama174

Oct 25, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
You are right. This sounds god-damn awesome. Now I need friends. Who wants to join me on the USS Escapist?
I'm in.. However the fact that its lan means we either play over hamachi or we don't play at all.. I don't trust you..

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
This actually looks amazing. Though, we didn't get a look at the gameplay. And I imagine that:

1. People would fight over being captain.
2. The guys not on the helm or tactical stations don't have all that much to do.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
zama174 said:
thenumberthirteen said:
You are right. This sounds god-damn awesome. Now I need friends. Who wants to join me on the USS Escapist?
I'm in.. However the fact that its lan means we either play over hamachi or we don't play at all.. I don't trust you..
I'm sure we can find someone to host a server and have a kick ass time over the Internet.

Somethingfake said:
This looks really awesome. I want to play star trek bridge commander now.
Me too. If this ran with Bridge Commander then it would be perfect. Though there is little to if you're first officer. With al the BC mods you can install sometimes you need extra people to manage Engineering and such. Though I always take direct Helm and Weapons control. Those guys just sit on their arses as I fly the ship myself.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Timotei said:
Just gave the demo a try. This game is *really* freaking buggy. Maybe it's just the demo and the finished product doesn't have such crippling features such as weapons that don't work on occasion.
Are you sure it just wasn't operator error on the part of the appropriate stations? :p

On another note, I must have this game.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
I love me some Bridge Commander too. :D

http://www.vimeo.com/12896767

Yeah, the music cuts off at the end. I could've extended the video's length, but I opted against it.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Aah! Not Again!

Seriously, I need to work more quickly and actually implement my ideas sometimes.

I mean, I keep running into people implementing things that resemble my ideas before I ever get round to it.

It's happened with Blender's UI.

It's happened with a time-travelling game. (although to be fair they worked out the details in a way that I wouldn't have considered possible)

And now this... Which has been something I wanted to do from at least the time of playing Bridge Commander... If not before.

So, yeah. Good luck to them, but damn. How annoying is that?

(Just think about it for a second... For every time this happens, if I actually ever get around to implementing my ideas, I'll get accused of copying it from somebody else. Never mind I might have had the idea first, since my implementation of it wasn't first, it'll look like I stole the idea. Argh! You have no idea how annoying that is.)

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
... If they turn this into a MASSIVLY multiplayer game... oh that would be awesome. Then again, could you imagine guys like these, dressed as different members of the USS Enterprise? Or Klingons? Or some other race in the Star Trek universe? Still, what a marvelously complex, yet simple idea.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
You can actually get the game free if you download the demo, make a video of you and your buddies playing, put it up on Youtube, and send it in. Then you get the full game FREE. Crazy! Obviously the guy just wants people to enjoy it!

Dobrev

Mar 25, 2009
There are a lot of design problems with this game concept. The key one being - Fun for every player.
Then again Puzzle Pirates! managed to do it.

Gerrawn

Apr 2, 2009
GOOD GOD! This looks like the most fun game ever! I need to get my dirty paws on this!

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Ok, I've been thinking about it:
I demand that the Escapist have an inter office competition with this game.

Break into teams, set the mission parameters the same way, and have a competition as to which team can win the fastest, and the most efficiently. Then make a video of it, and post it here for all of us to enjoy. Tell me that isn't awesome. I dare you. Because it is awesome.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
This is a pretty awesome idea, but also clearly demonstrates why military personel do so much drilling of every task.

The coherence does not come by itself I guess. I will be neat to see what people are capable of in this game when given time to really learn.