Artificially Intelligent Being Designs Videogame for Humans

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
I wonder what'd happen if the contents of Dwarf Fortress were fed into this thing.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Am I the only one who already hears "We are all Angelina."?
Chairman Miaow said:
True AI is an impossiblity and will never happen, they always have to work within pre-programmed paramaters.
In that case true intelligence isn't possible because everything works on pre-defined parameters. That's what science says. Every of our decisions isn't actually our decision since it was set in stone from the beginning of time.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
Am I the only one who already hears "We are all Angelina."?
Chairman Miaow said:
True AI is an impossiblity and will never happen, they always have to work within pre-programmed paramaters.
In that case true intelligence isn't possible because everything works on pre-defined parameters. That's what science says. Every of our decisions isn't actually our decision since it was set in stone from the beginning of time.
Pretty much. It's one of the reasons I don't believe in a god, because he couldn't have given us free will, because he would have known the outcome of the way he created us. Not a fun way to see things, but that's how I see them.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
freakymojo said:
it will kill us all! our only solution is build EVEN bigger AI's and have them destroy us first so "angelina" cant!
You got some Mass Effect in my "AI designs a videogame".

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
An AI that creates AI... An AI God... A God that creates beings exacrly like itself... A God in human form... "Man created in his image"...

Mind-blowing stuff

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Tanakh said:
coldfrog said:
I wonder if this can be used to expand on this:
Mario is hard, and that's mathematically official [http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21328565.100-mario-is-hard-and-thats-mathematically-official.html]
Ahhh... "hard" there doesn't mean what you think it means mate. Hard in computational complex theory (in lay therms) only means that there's a limit on how fast a computer can solve a given problem regardless of how well it is programmed to find the answer... let's put an example:

Lets say you want to find a list of prime numbers that multiplied equals 100, you could start checking 99, then 98 and so on, but that seems like a dumb idea because it will take you more time (more time computing those possible answers). You could start dividing by 2, then 3, then 4, that sounds better no? And yeah, it will yeild the answer faster. You could start dividing by 2, then check 2 again till you can't divide anymore, then 3, then skip 4 because it's not prime (and since you can't divide by two, obv you cant by 4), then 5 and so on, that is even better.

IS THERE A LIMIT ON HOW WELL YOU CAN MAKE STEPS TO SOLVE A PROBLEM AND HOW TO FIND GOOD WAYS? That is the question of computational complex theory, a problem NP-Hard is just a label on how good you can solve it.

It means SHIT on how hard is for humans, and i can't emphazise this enough.

Also... no, again the opening article should say "A Genetic Algorithm is trained to produce a simple maze" because that is what happened, and no, it doesn't have close ties with computational complex theory.

If i am being obscure about someting, feel free to ask. Though i only know the surface about coputer sience :D
My point was that I was wondering if an AI that can create games that are provably completable could also use it's algorithmic powers to create a game that's NP-Hard and then use it to help prove (or disprove) the good old P == NP problem. I mean, it's really just a pipe dream, but the two concepts put together could be pretty interesting. Also it'd mean that in some point in the future I'd get to say O(n) = MARIO.

(for the record, I have a degree in computer science ;) )

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
After having played the game, I wonder if the sounds were added later or the AI included those too. The reason I say that is because it seems surprising that the AI would have the input to determine that it is better to use a variety of sounds rather than just the same sound repeatedly (IE, with respect to your beaker-throwing ability). Or, for that matter, that the game has sound at all. If the sounds weren't added later, what determined what actions got sounds, and why does shooting have two? Does Angelina know what the sounds ARE, or are they predetermined?

Yearlongjester

Feb 14, 2010
I just finished playing. It's a weird little thing, honestly unremarkable except for what created it. Which to me is pretty freaking awesome, it's making a bland but at least different game. Wonder what it's going to make next....

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
coldfrog said:
After having played the game, I wonder if the sounds were added later or the AI included those too. The reason I say that is because it seems surprising that the AI would have the input to determine that it is better to use a variety of sounds rather than just the same sound repeatedly (IE, with respect to your beaker-throwing ability). Or, for that matter, that the game has sound at all. If the sounds weren't added later, what determined what actions got sounds, and why does shooting have two? Does Angelina know what the sounds ARE, or are they predetermined?
I do think that all the game besides the level desing is human made. There are a couple of papers by the guy that did this (http://www.gamesbyangelina.org/?page_id=35), but i am being lazy and avoiding reading them :p

Also, no need to say you have a degree in CS, the +5 computer kowledge and -1 written expression (how the crap should i understand what you meant from your first post?) gave you away.

Honestly i think the game that programmed it is better at marketing than AI... because it's an amazing idea to sell, but the implementation seems... nahh, i am being too hasty, should read at least the 2012 paper frist. I wish the opening post was a little more serious about reporting it though, because a lot of kids around and they seem to be getting a false impression about this.

PS: P=/NP, why? because i say so!