Artist Plans To Ship Self Cross Country With Only LotRO For Company

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
Everyone seems impressed by the fact that hes doing this, but im more impressed that he can keep a stable internet connection to a shipping container without a exobornant cost. US Telecommunications companies, theyre the real heroes.

If it was me though, id probably just get bored and watch lolcatz.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
The only way this is different from the way loads of people play MMOs is that his box will be moving.

Hate to be snobbish but...Not Art.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
similar.squirrel said:
Where will he pee?
And the other thing as well...I see no toilet.

Also, how will he stay connected to the internet?

And, one last thing. About that statement about people confined to their homes. If he's trying to do that, at least those people don't have to contend with flying, in an unpressurized compartment of a plane, and with the crate bumping around everywhere.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
You know, I seem to recall reading an article a couple years back about a guy who tried to ship himself cross country with FedEx. Had some sandwiches and a bunch of blankets to keep himself warm in the air. Problem was... it's illegal to ship human cargo. So uh. I dunno if this'll work out or not. I suppose if he tells the shipping company beforehand it might be okay though.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Phishfood said:
He calls this an amazing art demonstration.... I call it student living.
You just made my entire fucking week with that line.

Also, speaking as a person with claustrophobic tendencies, I'm not sure what I would find more frightening: the idea of spending a week in a box, or the idea of spending a week where my only contact is with the community of an MMO.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Admit it, man. He just wants an excuse to play LotRO for an extended period of time.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Bald Knob? Wow.

I enjoy LotRO, and I wouldn't want to do this to myself in a million years. I feel bad enough if I spend a few hours playing at home when I've got other things I could be doing. I wish him the best of luck, and hope that he doesn't incur any permanent damage pulling such a stunt.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Erm... what? Why can't he just stay at home and refuse contact with anyone outside the game? His friends will pester him online anyway, it's a F2P-game after all and aparently known that he's doing this... art thing.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Matt Wood said:
i think its some guy in a box, getting cheep airfares and a hell of a leg cramp.

although i cant shake the feeling the idea was done befor on that episode of malcom in the middle, where reece 'ships himself' to china
also, for the lols

'the Simpson's did it'

you get a cookie if you know where that's from

i think his theory is perfectly correct, but i don't see the point of his test..

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Charli said:
Why shipping yourself though? What's that accomplishing?
First time in history a man arrives at the same airport as his luggage.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
A lone man hardly constitutes as a "study". Scientific implications aside, this looks interesting.

Also, what carrier is he gonna chose to ship himself as? I'm pretty sure all major national shipping companies have policies preventing human cargo (live or otherwise) from being shipped.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Strazdas said:
i still dont see how locking yourself in a box contributes to post dramatic stress research.
Pandaman1911 said:
Um... no. I don't see any correlation... at all... between this guy dicking about in a box (oh my god, dick in a box joke!) and people with PTSD coping by playing online games. I think he's just doing it for the publicity, and for the fun of playing a WoW clone for however long it takes him to get his ass shipped across the country.

... yes, I'm slightly jealous.
Basically he's trying to give himself PTSD by isolating himself for an extended period of time in a small area.

This actually would give him a few psychological disorders if he had zero human contact, but he does have the MMO, so...probably not.

A good example is when people get snowed in while staying in a cabin by themselves in the mountains. After a few days, they start to lose their grip on reality. Saw a documentary where they did that to one of the crew members. He was tripping balls after three days.

Mythbusters did it as well, now that I think about it.

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Um... no. I don't see any correlation... at all... between this guy dicking about in a box (oh my god, dick in a box joke!) and people with PTSD coping by playing online games. I think he's just doing it for the publicity, and for the fun of playing a WoW clone for however long it takes him to get his ass shipped across the country.

... yes, I'm slightly jealous.

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
it might be a good experiment to see if when they open it he says,"just one more level"