Artist Plans To Ship Self Cross Country With Only LotRO For Company

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
So, he's going to study PTSD by very possibly giving himself PTSD? It's an noble cause, but there are so many ways this may not end well.

What happens if his power supply develops a fault, then he'll just be a man in a box in the dark.

What happens if the the shipping company isn't careful with his crate, or if it gets dropped or mistakenly consigned to a overseas shipment, or the truck has an accident or is hijacked?

If anything goes wrong, or even if he can't hack it, it will be interesting seeing this man's descent into madness and despair happening live via a Hobbit (a Hobbit that will slowly become Gollum).

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Calibretto said:
Phishfood said:
He calls this an amazing art demonstration.... I call it student living.
I CALL IT LIFE FOREVER!
Nuhuh!! ever since I got stuck in one of those job things my box has been at least TWICE as big as that one!

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Hah. Bald Knob. What a stupid name for a place.
Stupid artist too. But..heh...Bald Knob. Like a shaved penis.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I'd be concerned about the big heavy PC suspended from the top of the crate directly above my nads. I hope for his sake that's secured really firmly and the top of the crate is strong.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
That's all well and good, but why is he being shipped? That has nothing to do with what he's "researching," and how did me manage to find a shipping company willing to box up a person? What will he do about food, water, and using the bathroom? This doesn't really make any sense and seems pointless.

Cobratrumpet

Mar 5, 2008
He's from Arkansas. Abbreviation is wrong (should be AR).

He's not "being shipped" so much as having a friend drive him in the back of a truck, inside a box he made/modified for that purpose.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
hes gonna regret this several hours in... thats one hell of an uncomfortable position to be sitting for a prolonged period of time. also, i assume he will have to sleep for at least one night, and i dont see how hes gonna be able to do it lol

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
Well, at least he chose a good MMO. The LotRO community is usually good enough for company, or at least polite and not too stupid.

Apart from that, I don't really know what to say. The cause seems noble, but I can't really see how it is connected to what he does. So yeah, somewhere in between.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i still dont see how locking yourself in a box contributes to post dramatic stress research.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
This is all well and good, but not needed. The studies can easily be done on a grander scale with people who actually have suffered trauma, a record of their accounts, confedentiality agreements, and so on. Using this man gives a very low grade study, and WILL give little findings. They will in fact be fed wrong information because he is not the type of person they are testing for.

As a person who lost ties with the Human Species and left to play WoW (No longer playing mind you), I can say safely that this test is useless.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
What does it say about me that the first thing I thought about when I saw this was "How will he keep a stable network connection across the country in the back of a truck?"

Even using cellular signal you're not going to get decent enough bandwidth.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Chase Yojimbo said:
This is all well and good, but not needed. The studies can easily be done on a grander scale with people who actually have suffered trauma, a record of their accounts, confedentiality agreements, and so on. Using this man gives a very low grade study, and WILL give little findings. They will in fact be fed wrong information because he is not the type of person they are testing for.

As a person who lost ties with the Human Species and left to play WoW (No longer playing mind you), I can say safely that this test is useless.
I think it's more a performance art piece than a scientific study. To give context to shipping himself in a crate.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
I take it that he's banking on the transportation of the crate, (with all the external lifting, bumping, shaking, and crashing it could face), the isolation, and lack of room to move are sufficient enough stimuli to simulate what people with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder experience on a day-to-day basis.

Then by playing the MMO, he's seeing whether he can replicate the effect MMOs claim to have on those suffering with trauma.

Its more of an experiment than art.

A bit crazy, but I can dig the concept.
Though I'm not certain on the methodology.