Artist Quits Superman Book Over Orson Scott Card Furor

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
Preacher zer0 said:
Name any writer or artist who does work you like a lot... I can promise you they have some belief or opinion that you would dislike a lot.

If a writer or artist holds an opinion or belief you dislike, does that mean you have to avoid their work?
Because if it does... you won't be doing much reading, or watching movies, or playing games or listening to music.

I think Alan Moore is a total douchebag, but I love his work.

Humans are idiots and we all hold some belief that another person would find offensive.
The guy has his beliefs, fine, but if he's going to use my money to fund hate groups that satisfy his point of view then no, I can't really buy his work.

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
Friv said:
This isn't a situation where he's losing his job down at the assembly line. The guy specifically makes media in which he tries to spread ideas, and we give him money for that, and he uses that money to spread ideas farther. It's basically straightforwards.
He also uses that money to donate to hate groups and anti-gay marriage organizations, ideas all 'round I suppose.

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
Desert Punk said:
I dont think anyone has the right to judge him on how well he will do before they see the work.
Nope. People are well in their rights to call him an ass for his beliefs, and to not buy his stuff. Cuz really, who wants their money going towards hate groups?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Jackel86 said:
Good. OSC is a scumbag. I don't even like Superman, I'm just glad to see people stand against such a terrible bigot.

Hopefully Shadow Complex 2 can release without his name attached to it this time.
Hopefully Shadow Complex 2 wont be Shadow Complex 2. While I thought it was a good game gameplay-wise, I thought the story was kinda crap. Having read the supposed tie-in book (which had almost jack to do with the game), I dont think I want to see anymore of that particular universe.

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Thistlehart said:
Oh please don't misunderstand, I think OSC is quite wrong to campaign against gay rights.

I just find it interesting that, while most folks here are praising Sprouse for sticking to his guns by refusing to work on the project with OSC, those same folks are more than happy to condemn OSC for doing the same even though his opinions are unpopular.

It comes down to conflicts of ideology. I'd be willing to bet OSC's a hero or rallying icon on his side and Sprouse is viewed as a degenerate.

I suppose there's not much point to explaining this, but there you go.
Oh believe me, standing up for your beliefs only counts in my eyes if you're actually on behalf of others. Card is doing it to deny people rights.

Sorry I misunderstood you.
Well, I think an argument could be made that may substantiate the idea that Card is looking after interests other than, and even greater than, his own.

That much could be inferred from his published works. At the same time, I think, it would cement him as quite delusional, and possibly schizophrenic.

If you're interested, I could go into it, but if you're convinced he's evil and has no moral ground of his own to stand on, then I won't bother.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Thistlehart said:
I still find it sad that the person who wrote Speaker for the Dead would be so adamantly anti-gay.
He isn't the man who wrote Speaker for the Dead anymore.

That Card was comfortable with sex and could write about two people having sex for pleasure. And even some same-sex romantic stuff.

And then years passed, and Card got in with the Nuns, and then we got Ender's Shadow, which spawned the god-awful Shadow series (staring Bean) where Card could no longer call sex "sex". Or even making love. He could only call it "Making Babies". This wasn't just one character, it was ALL characters talking about sex. And all his female characters were suddenly pregnancy machines, interested only in becoming pregnant so they could have children.

Petra, of Ender's Game, talking about "Making Babies" that way, made me physically ill.

I hate the Shadows series. It is homophobic misogynistic drivel.

And then Card wrote that book that takes place between the last couple of chapters of Ender's game. And the female characters in that book do exactly the same thing.

Speaker for the Dead Card is dead. I don't know what Doppelganger is currently occupying his corpse, but he's anti-gay, anti-women, and anti-good-writing.

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
That's why I emphasized the actually. Card may be able to convince himself that he's doing the right thing, but in reality he's using the threat of anarchy as an excuse to spread fear and intolerance.
What was that quote from Nietzsche? A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Well, I did use the terms "delusional" and "possibly schizophrenic," so I'm right there with you.

However, I offer you a quote for a quote.

"Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. This may offer you a way to make him your friend. If not, then you can kill him without hate--and quickly." --Robert A. Heinlein

Heinlein also had several poignant things to say about self-deception, which I think bear out in this case.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Desert Punk said:
Sepko said:
Desert Punk said:
I dont think anyone has the right to judge him on how well he will do before they see the work.
Nope. People are well in their rights to call him an ass for his beliefs, and to not buy his stuff. Cuz really, who wants their money going towards hate groups?
Apparently you failed to comprehend my point.

Allow me to explain further. I didnt say they shouldnt get their undies in a bunch about his views or where he spends his money. I was saying that they shouldn't judge him incapable of doing the work because of his views, when the majority of his previous great work had no anti-homosexual tendencies at all.

Just because he doesnt like gay folk doesnt mean he is incapable of writing superman.
I haven't heard that though, at least it not being the primary reason. Most of the outcry is not about his capabilities as a writer but that he uses his financial gain as a writer to influence oppressive actions.

RealRed05

Feb 22, 2013
Friv said:
Here's the thing, for me.

Orson Scott Card's beliefs are, in fact, important to his job, because his job is to share his beliefs with the public. If he advocates for something despicable, I can in fact be upset that he will be getting a new platform for that advocacy, and I can inform DC that I will not be picking up any issues that allow him onto that pedestal.

This isn't a situation where he's losing his job down at the assembly line. The guy specifically makes media in which he tries to spread ideas, and we give him money for that, and he uses that money to spread ideas farther. It's basically straightforwards.

This is no different than what basically every advocacy group for any side ever has done to every artist ever that they disagreed with - asked the people paying him to not pay him. No legal ramifications, no criminalization. Just asking to not enable him farther. The difference this time is that his beliefs have become sufficiently unpopular that he's actually losing ground.
I agree. The reason Sprouse has backed out of the comic is because very few people will buy it thanks to OSC's beliefs, which would end up hurting any royalties he received from its creation. Even artists need to make a living. The effect of DC siding with the artist means the chances of this particular issue coming out, if ever, look rather slim.

Everyone has a right to their own opinions, just as everyone has a right to ignore those opinions and stop enabling the people who spread them.

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
Oh fuck me, I read Ender's Games without realizing that the author was a massive bigoted asshole. Well, hopefully nobody works with this piece of shit and his story doesn't ever see the light of day.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My basic attitude on the subject is that boycotting someone's work for being anti-gay is the same as doing it because it's pro-gay. When it gets down to the sentiments of the writers which might not even come up in the specific works being discussed, it just gets ridiculous. It's a situation where I think people need to just grow up and accept that people disagree with them, on both sides. If I went around and boycotted everything out there that was pro-gay in some way (which I hardly am) I'd miss a lot of good stuff. Ditto when it comes to authors who are just generally off their rockers whacked. If half the stories I've heard about Alan Moore are true for example, I think him being an oddball goes beyond having an opinion on sexual orientation.

I find it kind of backwards to argue that people should malign people's writing (like say Ender's game), due to the politics of the guy writing it which may or may not even be involved in the story.

As far as the situation with Superman goes, unless the story had something to do with sexual orientation, the way it seems to me is that this QQing is just costing people a good story. The situation would be like me, someone who is hardly pro-gay, refusing to have anything to do with the writings/productions of say Neil Gaiman or Clive Barker or on a comics related front perhaps Grant Morrison. I might not agree with it's central politics but something like "The Invisibles" was an okay (if not my favorite) comic series and pretty entertaining for example.

While I understand there is a tendency for people solidly on one side of things to want to cheer for someone apparently "standing up" for their principles, there is a point where it's done in a bad place. This is exactly the kind of "victory" you don't want, and what snowballs into making things nastier when the inevitable backlash happens, especially on issues like this where there isn't exactly a clear majority.

Speaking for myself, I've had increasingly less faith in DC over the years and to me this entire thing smacks of a PR stunt more than anything. Given some of the stories I've read over the years about the relationships between comic publishers, writers, and artists, if this kind of insubordination happened off the cuff, the writer would be "thrown under the bus" no matter what stance it took and would have to find another job right quick. What's more finding an artist willing to take on a contreversial story from any angle usually isn't difficult since there are people who are pretty much dying for any work, and like it or not this story is going to get their name out there, and it's pretty
easy to seperate the artist from approval with the story. My gut feeling is the entire "story" being circulated here is simply to get attention and generate hype for when they inevitably release the story, and have people lining up to see what all the fuss was about. Not to mention to see if they can actually provoke an anti-gay backlash (unlikely to happen but always something that can be attempted) to simply get attention. DC hasn't exactly been "keeping it classy" for a long time now.

That's my thoughts at any rate, not that I expect a lot of people to agree with me on these forums.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Andy Chalk said:
Orson Scott Card is a pretty good storyteller, but he's also kind of a terrible human being. The Ender's Game author is infamous for his criticism of homosexuality and virulent opposition to same-sex marriage; he serves on the board of the National Organization of Marriage, a political group that works to oppose same-sex marriage in the U.S., and said in in 2008 that he would "act to destroy" any government that legalized it. In a 2004 essay entitled "Homosexual 'Marriage' and Civilization," he described same-sex marriage as a "potentially devastating social experiment" and argued that gay men and women are not actually being discriminated against because they have the same legal right to get married as everyone else - to a member of the opposite sex.
It's hilarious when a bigot is too stupid to realize they're a bigot. But then if they were intelligent, they wouldn't be bigots in the first place.
You'd be surprised how many composers were blatant racists, you really would.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Good. It's great to see public opinion shifting in this way and corporations taking into consideration just how such things can affect business.

It's a shame they can't just fire him for legal reasons, they will have to actually publish something of his, see it bomb then remove him for poor sales when they can already see it coming.