Artist Reimagines Disney Princesses as Game of Thrones Characters

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Artist Reimagines Disney Princesses as Game of Thrones Characters

DeviantArt member DjeDjehuti has created illustrations depicting the leading ladies of Disney as Game of Thrones characters.

When it comes to fantasy, Disney and Game of Thrones employ takes on the genre that sit very much on opposite ends of the street. Disney films have their darker moments for sure, but they generally adhere to a standard of kid-friendliness that precludes Game of Thrones mainstays like nudity, sex and heart-wrenching massacres that destroy the viewer's soul. That being the case, there are still plenty of people who love and enjoy both and, as countless occasions have proven, where's a cross-section of fans there's a crossover waiting to happen.

Case in point, <a href=djedjehuti.deviantart.com>DeviantArtist member DjeDjehuti recently posted a collection of female Disney characters reinterpreted as figures from Game of Thrones. The gallery, which contains more than a dozen illustrations, includes a good portion of the major female characters from both. The match-ups aren't just arbitrary either. DjeDjehuti seems to have put some actual thought into which characters they paired up. Rapunzel as Sansa Stark, for instance, works well on account of both characters spending their time "captive or locked up in one tower or another." Belle as Margaery Tyrell also makes a sort of sense thanks to the prominent "rose imagery at the heart of Beauty and the Beast.

[gallery=2122]

Despite the intelligent reasoning behind a lot of the match-ups however, I will confess to a few rubbing me the wrong way. Snow White being turned into the prostitute Shae, for instance, just seems a bit wrong when you consider that her character looked maybe all of 14-years old in the Disney movie. Likewise, except for her red hair, bright-eyed drama queen Ariel arguably isn't exactly the best match for the stern and dogmatic Melisandre (something the artist admits). Nonetheless, it's an entertaining collection of pictures and, in the least, it's always fun to see familiar characters portrayed in different ways.

Source: DeviantArt

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Awesome

Reminds me of the artist who redid a bunch of Disney princesses as grimdark versions of themselves

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
A lot of these choices seem...odd, to say the least.

Merida as Ygritte, though? Oh yeah.

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
I enjoyed that. Mulan as Brienne made me laugh.

Ariel and Elsa kind of make sense.

Shjade said:
A lot of these choices seem...odd, to say the least.

Merida as Ygritte, though? Oh yeah.
And nobody better!

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
In no way am I trying to take away from the incredible art in these pieces, or the integrity of this individual artist, but I've just noticed a LOT of these "Disney Princess reimagined as X" mashups lately (a lot of them originating from Deviant Art) and it just seems to make every new one feel less special. I kinda wish that these artists would use their incredible talents to explore new territory.

That said, the art itself is obviously impressive and well worthy of praise, especially if you're not personally burnt out on the concept.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Why is this showing up here? yeah, it's kinda cool I guess, but it's something you expect to see on 9gag or something. It's not nearly special enough to be newsworthy.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Eh, those were cute. I have to say that I'm really tired of the whole princess thing and only find about 4 of them tolerable as role models for my 3 year old daughter (Elsa, Merida, errr... ok may be two, maybe Mulan if her movie wasn't so boring), but this is at least amusing.

Also, to Floppertje, it's here' because ASOIAF is generally an accepted part of geek culture. Disney may not be, but George R R Martin is.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
So are zombies, I didn't see the 5 or so series of 'disney princesses reimagined as zombies' on here. And I'm pretty sure I've seen far cooler stuff done with ASOIAF that wasn't on here either, so... why this?

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
I'm pretty sure if they did "Disney Prncesses reimagined as zombies" we'd have it on here.

That would be pretty amusing.

Someone do it!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I like to think that if Elsa was exposed to Mushu, the first thing she would do is freeze him solid and drop him off a cliff.

CyborgGinger

Apr 1, 2011
In the books, isn't Brienne described as wearing a brilliant sapphire coloured armour? Hence the moniker "Brienne the Blue" when she joins the Rainbow Guard?

I thought it was a shame in the TV series she wears that bronze plate - she'd look fantastic if she looked as the book describes her.

I only mention this as the illustration for her here is as per the TV show, instead of the books.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Belle as Margery Tyrell is one of those choices that makes more and more sense the more you think about it, considering her role in the first act of the story was basically using her wits and courage to remain in the good graces of the monster that fate decided to place her with. XD

Snow White, though, was just a poor choice for Shae. Granted, Disney's squeaky-clean image wouldn't allow any of its princesses to make a good transition into prostitution, but you could have at least picked one who was canonically older than 14.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Alarien said:
I'm pretty sure if they did "Disney Prncesses reimagined as zombies" we'd have it on here.

That would be pretty amusing.

Someone do it!
@Alarien

why not just Google it? actually no here i did it for you:
http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/8/8/zombie-disney-princesses-are-elegantly-disgusting.html
http://jeftoon01.deviantart.com/gallery/11344500

seriously though next time just goolge something like that. theirs like thousands of images of the Disney princesses resigned as something else.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
balladbird said:
Snow White, though, was just a poor choice for Shae. Granted, Disney's squeaky-clean image wouldn't allow any of its princesses to make a good transition into prostitution, but you could have at least picked one who was canonically older than 14.
Meh. I would imagine that many medieval era prostitutes got into it really young. Also, there's the obvious connection with the dwarf.

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
there's so much right here it makes me happy :3

as for the point on Melisanda/Ariel... well, if we put it in the context of the REAL 'Little Mermaid' story as opposed to the 'happy ending' Disney version just with the same character... it actually fits rather well .-. that is, assuming that Melisandra was... er... 'betrayed' away in her youth and thus became this strong powerful woman out of spite, vengeance and nhilism... yes, yes, it works... not that i want to think on that all too much .-.

of course my fav goes to Mulan/Brienne of Tarth!! BOTH ARE MY FAVORITES, YEA!! :D

and i feel the Snow White/Shea comparison comes more from the whole 'servant that isn't really' view :p though i suppose if Snow White grew up and had to fend more for herself, sure why not, she'd become like Shea~

either way, probably best not to think 'too' much on some contexts... it goes to bad places, especially when considering the fairy tales these disney movies were based off of were... well, along the same vein as Game of Thrones more often then not... so yea, that's a thing~

STILL LOVE IT!! :D

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I find it quite amusing how people have a problem with Snow White being Shae because of her age. Because all the sex in ASOIAF is totally 18+ right? And she definitely didn't marry her handsome prince until she turned 16, I'm sure.

Some of these made me smile, though I did think some of the faces were a bit off. Not the best art of this kind out there, so not entirely sure why this in particular made the news, but whatever. It's a fun idea

[sub][sub]Even if I hate Disney princesses and everything the brand stands for[/sub][/sub]

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Belaam said:
Also, there's the obvious connection with the dwarf.
until you brought it up, I'd actually completely forgotten about that point... which is sad, given the title of Snow White's movie.

that's actually pretty clever, then.

shtoops

Sep 1, 2013
Objectable said:
So, if Daenerys Targaryen is Elsa, does that mean she was fucking Anna?
Well that seems to already be a popular opinion throughout alot of the fans of Frozen. That they are having/will have/should have an incestuous, lesbian relationship. So it's kind of interesting that the artist made Elsa a character from a family known for incest. But whatever, I can see where people get the idea from, and I won't argue.

Basically, my answer to your question is yes.