Artist's Incredible Photo Project Captures Cosplayers At Home

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Artist's Incredible Photo Project Captures Cosplayers At Home

Pichler's Just The Two Of Us had a lot of trouble finding subjects.

Viennese artist Klaus Pichler's been working on his cosplay project, Just The Two Of Us, for two and a half years. The idea was simple: persuade cosplayers to let him take their photo, in their own home environment. You never see the face behind the mask; you see the mask the person chooses to wear, whether that person's watching TV, working, or having a bath. But Pichler had a lot of trouble persuading his subjects to go along with the idea, as most cosplayers he approached turned him down.

[gallery=1872]

"The ratio really sucked," says he. "It was like one to nine people who were open to it. I've gotten a lot of refusals." But the rest ... well, you can see for yourself. Some are Furries, some LARPers, while some go traditional and dress as Krampus, the Yule spirit that punishes bad children. Wondering which one he is? That's the gent with the horns that looks like a goat's nightmare. Coal in your stocking is nothing compared to a visit from Krampus.

Pichler deliberately chose not to take pictures of the subjects without their costumes. The whole point, for him, was to juxtapose the fantasy of their inner lives against the mundane outer trappings. The last thing he intended was to make fun of his subjects. "By doing that you're avoiding reflection and not thinking about why people are doing it," says he. "You're not thinking about what the person wants to say with their costume."

For the full set, look over at Pichler's page [http://www.kpic.at/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=56&Itemid=113].

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2013/11/klaus-pichler/]

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
These are hilarious. I think the best ones are the ones where there's an obvious contradiction - The Imperial Guard/Clone Trooper sitting and staring out a window doesn't look too out of place, and the four black morph suits sitting on couches around candles also looks perfectly normal (Or as normal as I'd expect any black silhouette people to ever look).

But Master Chief sitting on a couch with puppy pillows or a dark robed figure ironing his cloak? That's hilarious.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
These are absolutely wonderful. I love Master Chief sitting on the couch with puppy-pillows, but most of the other ones are just beautiful pictures in their own right.

I have to look up the other ones now. These are just amazing.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
The cookie monster in p.8 is slightly depressing, not for the lack of cookies anywhere in sight, but for the lack of his gaping mouth seeking said cookies. :/

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Must...resist...urge...to make..."short for a Stormtrooper" joke...at...pic 10. *sudden realization* DAMMIT!!!

(Yes yes...I'm a terrible person. I'll go sit in the dark corner and think about what I did.)