Artist's "Twisted" Disney Princesses Ditch Tiaras for Terror

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Artist's "Twisted" Disney Princesses Ditch Tiaras for Terror

Jeffrey Thomas's Twisted Princess series transforms Disney Princesses into horror flick villainesses.

While there are, of course, exceptions to the rule, I feel safe in saying that the defining qualities of many of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/disney>Disney's female characters don't veer too far from sugar, spice and everything nice. That being the case, it's always fun to see how <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132375-Artist-Reimagines-Disney-Princesses-as-Game-of-Thrones-Characters>others interpret the company's leading ladies when given the chance. Case in point, artist Jeffrey Thomas has spent several years reimagining the princesses of Disney's film library into a gallery of horrors more appropriate for Sweeny Todd than sweet songs about wanting more.

Thomas's work began humbly enough back in 2008 when he redrew Belle and Beast. Since then he's gone on to hit famous characters including The Little Mermaid's Ariel, Sleeping Beauty's Aurora and, more recently, Wreck-It Ralph's Vanellope. He's also worked on Wendy from Peter Pan, Alice from Alice in Wonderland and a bad-ass version of Nala that really should have made it into The Lion King. My personal favorite of the bunch is Thomas's take on Rapunzel. There's just something about evil hair that makes my skin crawl.

None of these, of course, are all that recent (Vanellope's picture was finished in 2013). That said, they're still impressive and it's hard not to be impressed by Thomas's dedication to his project. All we need now is for him to work his way over to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/8507-Frozen>Frozen so we can get a glimpse at an evil Elsa.

[gallery=3036]

Source: <a href=http://jeftoon01.deviantart.com/gallery/11344500/Twisted-Princess>DeviantArt

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
They are really awesome!
Except, I don't know most of these...

Needs moar classic princesses, less new ones.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Kenjitsuka said:
They are really awesome!

It looks like most of the 'classic' Princesses are already there. Which ones were you looking for?

Usually I'm sick of the 'Disney Princesses but...' thing but these are pretty good. It's a shame they left Leia out though since she is kinda sorta a Disney Princess now.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I can't decide if Aurora, Wendy, or Esmerelda is best. Probably Aurora.

These are all brilliant.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
these are old. like at least 2 years old.
come on escapist set up your game /sarcasm

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Kenjitsuka said:
They are really awesome!

I think the only ones they are missing outside of Arial, & Eilonwy, are full animals.
Unless Penny from the rescuers counts as well.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
The last song on this (2:40) is fitting for the Pocahontas one.

This is rather old news (wasn't it news here before or am I imagining things?). If you go to deviant art page for them the author has story for them

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While normally I am fed up with Disney related princess on this site but I make an exception in this case. Granted I would expecting the Princess turned villainess but they simply look far more twisted and sinister althought why is there blood on Kida lip? It make me think she got turned into a zombie!

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Wow, when you thought The Escapist had stopped with the constant Disney Princess fan art articles, here's another one! Woo!

Still pretty good though.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I remember seeing these ages ago. *hipster fneh fneh fneh*

Seriously though, these are grimly funky.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Why are most of them undead >.>

Still pretty cool though.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Hory shiet!

Kida in particular made me squee in delight. However, I might have gone a different direction with her, where she gets captured and brought up to the surface... to wreak unholy havoc.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
I have to say, I wasn't expecting some of those entries. I mean, seriously, Nala? Would would have seen that coming? Very nicely done.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Now these are impressive pictures.

If I know what would happen when princess's snap and go crazy.

And yes, I want to see what would happen when the sisters from Frozen snap.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
CriticalMiss said:
Kenjitsuka said:
They are really awesome!

It looks like most of the 'classic' Princesses are already there. Which ones were you looking for?

Usually I'm sick of the 'Disney Princesses but...' thing but these are pretty good. It's a shame they left Leia out though since she is kinda sorta a Disney Princess now.
I'm not sure if she'll ever be considered, same with various Marvel characters, as they seem to want to keep their lines *fairly* separate and mostly keep the "Princess" line to the main female characters from their animated movies. I've oftentimes thought they need to change the name, because as time has moved on they add more and more characters to that line that are not Princesses. Of course for the purpose of this project I don't think the "line" is being considered as much as the movies. An evil dark-side Leia could be interesting, but I don't know if there has ever been an animated version of Princess Leia similar enough to the Disney style to base it on so it would mesh with the other artwork.

To be honest I'd think they might do better to use Amidala because I believe she has been animated (I could be wrong though). Besides she's closer to an actual princess. I believe with Leia "Princess" was actually more of a nickname/implication of her being prissy, because she was actually the daughter of a Senator, it has been a while though. By original definition one could argue Amidala WAS a princess at one point, but after some alleged criticisms George Lucas mentioned in later movies that Queen was an elected position... which raises all kinds of questions about a planet that actually elects a 14 year old girl to lead them (and how an elected official could have that whole set up with body doubles and guards to the extent she did), but the prequel trilogy sucked and gives me headaches, that is merely just one of the reasons. Personally I will laugh if they ever edit/expand the prequels like Lucas messed with the first one and we get a new scene of Naboo asking for help and the Jedi council goes "So wait... you elect a 14 year old to lead your planet and your wondering why she screws the whole thing up and gets you blockaded, and why nobody wants to negotiate with your so called leadership seriously... okay we'll send a couple of Jedi for Nanny duty".

The point being that even with all the contridictions in the line and so on, I'd think Amidala would fit better if they wanted a "Star Wars" princess, and if an artist wanted to do one I think they could probably find an animation of her to base it off of (I can't remember but I think she appeared in Clone Wars... but I didn't watch it very often).

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I've seen these before, and they're both creepy... and awesome! Hopefully he'll give Frozen a shot sometime soon...

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
PunkRex said:
I remember seeing these ages ago. *hipster fneh fneh fneh*

Seriously though, these are grimly funky.
I remember seeing these before as well. What makes it worse is that I saw these before on the Escapist. I distinctly remember a thread showing these off within the last two years.