Asgardian Cops: Thors Presents The Secret Wars Police Force

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Asgardian Cops: Thors Presents The Secret Wars Police Force

Marvel Comics' Thors will tell stories of parallel universe Asgardians who close murder cases, are loose cannons, and don't play by the rules.

Secret Wars is prompting Marvel Comics to dig all kinds of bizarre and fascinating concepts from the woodwork - including <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139551-Marvel-Comics-and-Ultimate-Universes-Will-Merge-In-Secret-Wars>a merger with the Ultimate continuity, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138018-Marvels-Civil-War-Comic-Series-Coming-2015>the resurrection of iconic universes, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139743-Marvel-Comics-All-Female-A-Force-Team-Replaces-Avengers-for-Secret-Wars>the debut of an all-female Avengers. That's a lot to follow, but I think I just found my personal favorite: Thors, the story of a cosmic police force made up of parallel dimension versions of Thor. That's not a joke - that's literally what writer Jason Aaron hopes to achieve.

"This is basically me doing a cop story, but with hammers instead of guns," Aaron said <a href=http://marvel.com/news/comics/24129/secret_wars_correspondence_thors>in an interview with Marvel. "This is me getting to do Homicide: Life on the Street with lots of cosmic cops. It's every version of Thor you can imagine, all walking beats, solving murders, getting yelled at by their commissioner and blowing off steam at their local Thor-cop bar.

"This is not about the apocalypse. It's about closing cases."

Thors will depict Gods of Thunder from countless worlds coming together to uphold the peace on the newly-formed Battleworld. Going from the press release and Issue #1 cover, the line-up includes <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136159-Thor-Is-Getting-Gender-Flipped-Officially>the canonical female Thor, Ultimate Thor, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139667-Three-Thors-Featured-In-Marvel-Comics-Thor-Annual-1>King Thor, Beta Ray Thor, Thor Stormborn, and Throg the Frog of Thunder. And I bet they're all loose cannons who don't play by the rules.

What's more, the events of Thors directly tie into major cosmic happenings from the core Secret Wars book. "I'll just say that this book is probably more of a direct tie-in to the main Secret Wars series than a lot of the other tie-ins you'll see, in that the role of the Thors is something that is set-up quite extensively in Secret Wars #2." Aaron continued. "We'll be seeing a few different corners of Battleworld in this series. The Thors go where the action is."

Outside of that, we only know that Issue #1 introduces a murder case that challenges the entire Thors team - and makes several members start asking the wrong questions. Beyond that we'll have to wait until June to actually read it for ourselves. Speaking personally, <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPp4qb-phrA>I'll be humming the Cops theme song the second it's in my hands.

Bad Thors Bad Thors
Whatcha gonna do
Whatcha gonna do when they throw Mjlornir at you.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Who the heck is Thor Stormborn? The Thor cover clad Destroyer in the cover image? In saying so, who is the other female in the sky since I know the bottle female is the female Thor? Also is King Thor is the one with the eyepatch?

Also I giggle at the Thor version of Bad Cops theme!

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Oh well, I guess I'll have to hold off on judging this until it gets out and we see some previews, but only because sometimes ideas that on the surface look really incredibly stupid end up working.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Who the heck is Thor Stormborn? The Thor cover clad Destroyer in the cover image? Also is King Thor is the one with the eyepatch?

I believe the eye-patch beard clad Thor is "King Thor".

They did a fairly interesting multi-part series in Thor after the "Fear Itself" line when Earth 616 Thor died that featured multiple Thors from different timelines, which is where I first saw him. I haven't been keeping up on the book recently because Pandering Vagina Thor is not my cup of tea.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Jake Martinez said:
Scarim Coral said:
Who the heck is Thor Stormborn? The Thor cover clad Destroyer in the cover image? Also is King Thor is the one with the eyepatch?

I believe the eye-patch beard clad Thor is "King Thor".

They did a fairly interesting multi-part series in Thor after the "Fear Itself" line when Earth 616 Thor died that featured multiple Thors from different timelines, which is where I first saw him. I haven't been keeping up on the book recently because Pandering Vagina Thor is not my cup of tea.
All I know that despite the build up/ shock on the death of Thor, he came back to life anyway (once again death in comicbook never suprised me). Also there was this fake Thor that show up out of nowhere which everyone (except for Loki and possibly someone else) acted like he was Thor but the pretender was reveal to be a fraud once the real Thor came back from the dead.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Am I the only one excited for more Beta Ray Bill? Impossible. Beta Ray Bill is the best wielder of Mjolnir in the entire Marvel multiverse.

I really, really hope the writing improves though, from what I've seen of She Thor's comic the writing is worse than a drunken fanfic writer's.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
vallorn said:
Am I the only one excited for more Beta Ray Bill? Impossible. Beta Ray Bill is the best wielder of Mjolnir in the entire Marvel multiverse.

I really, really hope the writing improves though, from what I've seen of She Thor's comic the writing is worse than a drunken fanfic writer's.
Everything that Marvel has been putting out with possibly the exception of the Samnee/Waid Daredevil run has been complete tumblr-tier.

If you want to absolutely lose your shit, pick up a copy of Squirrel Girl at the stand (for the love of god, don't actually buy it, just look at it) and try to refrain from barfing because Doreen looks like she has put on 50 pounds and has downs syndrome.

Nathaniel Grey

Dec 18, 2013
They been hinting about this for quite some time now. I know granddaddy Thor made a reference to the police force during the god bomb arc.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I can't help but be distracted with Thor Odinson's pose on the cover. It reminds me of the intro to Metalocalypse.

Thor Odinson, taller than a tree.
Beta Ray Bill, not a bumblebee.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
This is a concept I could sink my teeth into; taking what I love - badasses hitting shit with lightning hammers - and putting another twist I love on it; that of a GOOD police procedural.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Scrythe said:
I can't help but be distracted with Thor Odinson's pose on the cover. It reminds me of the intro to Metalocalypse.

Thor Odinson, taller than a tree.
Beta Ray Bill, not a bumblebee.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA XD Oh god, that's so perfect.

OK, this sounds amazing, Thor is now the police force? Damn, this is going to be incredible, and in 20 years time we'll look back and say "Hey, remember when all the different Thors worked as a police force and solved crimes?".

I'm now imagining this huge Viking ship, with "Battle World Police" smeared on the side, just floating in the air, and all the Thors sitting in it, drinking coffee and eating doughnuts while talking about how everything's gone to crap since the universes merged.

Drake Barrow

Jan 10, 2010
I've seen Thunderstrike referenced on the Marvel teasers for this. If we get Thunderstrike back, I'm on board. Also, why is there a Thor in the Destroyer suit? I don't recognize that one.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
Who the heck is Thor Stormborn? The Thor cover clad Destroyer in the cover image? In saying so, who is the other female in the sky since I know the bottle female is the female Thor? Also is King Thor is the one with the eyepatch?

That flying woman could be Storm of the X-Men. Honest.

Here's the background:

In the mid to late 80's there was a 4 part X-Men/Alpha Flight mini series which ended with Loki being pissed off at the X-Men.

Following that there were two X team annuals which took place primarily on Asgard:

1: New Mutants Annual: Where Loki and the Enchantress messed the New Mutants up--seriously messed them up.

2: X-Men Annual: The adults came to the rescue.

Trivia: The New Mutant's annual was when Danielle 'Dani' Moonstar / Mirage became one of the Valkeries--prescient visions of death, winged horse and all.

Anyway, the X-Men annual started with Loki enchanting Storm and forcing the same dwarf who forged Mjolnir to forge Storm (whose mutant power of Weather control had been negated--in Real Time--for years) a hammer of her own which--thanks to Loki's magic--enabled her to return to wielding Weather control. Long story short: Loki lost and Storm lost her powers (which she permanently gained back years and years later--again in Real Time).

Sooooo...from the picture and my memory of ancient Marvel X-Lore I figure that's Storm--The "Goddess of Thunder".

EDIT: This was some of Chris Clairmont's best writing--he was at the top of his gig at the time.