Ashes of the Singularity - Humanity in 2178

Stardock

Nov 9, 2015
Ashes of the Singularity - Humanity in 2178

This is the first in a series of Developer Diaries from Stardock CEO Brad Wardell on the upcoming game Ashes of the Singularity. The topic is the Post-Humans of 2178.

Read Full Article

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Interesting article, I look forward to the next part. I'm not entirely convinced that mass is in short supply if you have access to entire universe. Converting a nearby brown dwarf or large gas giant would provide vast quantities of mass.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
albino boo said:
Interesting article, I look forward to the next part. I'm not entirely convinced that mass is in short supply if you have access to entire universe. Converting a nearby brown dwarf or large gas giant would provide vast quantities of mass.
It sounds like an investment scheme to me. Rich people on Earth put funding and effort towards putting people on other stars, with the idea that those people then produce more stuff and help others go on. What happens if the guy in line decides not to put his funds back into the investment bit for other people, and instead uses his funds for himself?

Doesn't matter that there's an infinite amount of mass out there, what matters is how quickly all those resources can be utilized.

Also the possibility that all matter isn't created equally. Gas giants have a lot of mass, but that mass isn't nearly as easy to get to as mining a rocky planet would be.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
We already have simulations of what transhuman life might look like. Just look at the internet.

I wish I was going to live to see the era of immortality-through-cyberspace.

Also - have you ever heard of the TTRPG Eclipse Phase?