Asian/African Jungle Safari - Any Tips?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Yeah, so, I know this is a gaming sight, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
I wanna go on a jungle safari, with like trekking through the wilderness and maybe some river-rafting. I don't expect a whole lot of people have that much experience here, but if you got any suggestions, please let me know.

Cheers.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Stay in the car.

Don't kick any wild armadillos.

Make sure the company you use is legit and there are other tourists with you.

That's all my advice.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Do your homework, make sure the group you with has done theirs. More or less all the horror stories about when this sort of thing goes wrong involves the phrases "really stupid" and/or "couldn't be bothered" somewhere.

Nachtwens

Jan 3, 2016
When you encounter a wild animal, feed it a piece of meat, hold your hands up and go 'shh shh'. It will be instantly tamed and will fight for you to the death.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Don't employ the elephant gun on game smaller than a female antelope, or you risk making the hide and head unsuitable for display. Also, you may be inclined to discreetly bring home the ivory in a bassoon-case, or else the rotters at Customs will surely clobber you with tax! Good luck, old chap.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
If you are specifically after jungles, than a Kenyan safari won't be much good to you. I've been to Indian and Malay jungles and they are pretty conventionally jungle like (swamps, dense trees, cicadas chirping etc). If you are expecting to see lots of big cool animals, you will probably be disappointed unless you go to a designated safari park. The biggest things I saw was a monitor lizard in South India, and a shit ton of fox bats. The place I went was in the Indian state Kerala, which has a lot of lagoons and waterways, so there are opportunities for boat trips (though I'm not sure about rafting).

It was good, but really I think you can find cheaper experiences other than India. Your main expenses will be around flights and accommodation, so that should by far be your number one consideration when considering a jungle holiday. I'm currently considering Costa Rica this year as a holiday, and it demands a shit ton of research into where the good holiday stuff is, vs where the nearest airport is, vs how much/convenient the flight is to get there.

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
maninahat said:
I'm currently considering Costa Rica this year as a holiday, and it demands a shit ton of research into where the good holiday stuff is, vs where the nearest airport is, vs how much/convenient the flight is to get there.
Having a friend who went there late last year, having seen his pics, and having a Costa-Rican co-worker who gave some tips, I'd say Osa peninsula is a no-brainer. Though it's not the easiest place to get to - either long drive or internal flight.

Can't help for jungle, alas, only have experiences in savannah-like safaris - where it's far easiest to spot the big animals. Then, if it's jungle, S. America probably should be considered as well.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Get vaccinated.

Cannot stress this enough. Get vaccinated for anything you might come across, and even then expect to get sick in the first week or so off of some random bullshit stomach bug.

Other than that, good luck. Stockpile on toilet roll and if an Indian offers a handshake, make sure its their right hand.

Superbeast

Bound up the dead triumphantly!
Jan 7, 2009
If you're hiking through the jungle, wear tights under your trousers. Seriously - they're great anti-leech technology, the little suckers can't get a grip. If anyone starts ribbing you about it, point out the US Navy SEALS pioneered the idea in Vietnam.

Good boots are a must, and a hammock to sleep off the ground - there are tons of creepy-crawlies that love to get inside a sleeping bag/tent on the ground, and some of them have a bite/sting that will totally wreck your trip.

Research animal behaviours before you go. Obviously you always want to play it safe rather than using such basic research to get close to animals, but being able to recognise the danger signs is very important - and it is not just predatory things like tigers and hyenas; large creatures like elephants, hippo, water buffalo, gorillas and chimps are lethal to humans. Knowing when one is getting flustered or giving you warning signs it will charge could literally save your life.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
My sister went into the Amazon. Her take: insects don't give a fuck about your repellent, but you should still give it a try.
Also get vaccinated.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Try stroking a lion or other big cat, they will admire your bravery and secretly love it. You will totally not be eaten.

Disclaimer: This fact has been extensively research by Catfood220 with his house cats as test subject. Catfood220 takes no responsibility in the extremely rare chance that you are eaten.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Catfood220 said:
Try stroking a lion or other big cat, they will admire your bravery and secretly love it. You will totally not be eaten.
Believe it or believe it not, this is something that people actually ask zookeepers if they can do at zoos.