Ask a detective/undercover cop

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
ace_of_something said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Then can you tell me what cop/detective show is the closest to realism?
If we're talking about script written drama. Well, as weird as it sounds. Law and Order is probably the closest because at least they always make sure to show factors like suspensions, the media crawling up your ass, and technicalities getting in the way. But it's still pretty unrealistic. It's just the competition for that award isn't very stiff for that award.
Also, I have a Jack McCoy T-Shirt.

DO WANT!

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Beldaros said:
How is it that you are allowed to give this information? Surely you must have signed a confidentiality contract that will include many procedures. Even I had to do that in the prison.
I am allowed to discuss cases that have been closed. My non-disclosure agreement is only against those that are still open (meaning a trial is forthcoming). I personally won't discuss something until it has been to trial.

Anything I discuss here can probably be found in any given textbook on the subject or even a good internet search I'm sure. The things I'm not supposed to talk about are very specific like 'use form em-c0m to request extra bullets' or things like that.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Who's a better detective, you or Veronica Mars [http://stopbragging.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/01-kristen-bell-veronica-mars-veronica-mars.jpg]?

Beldaros

Jan 24, 2009
ace_of_something said:
Beldaros said:
How is it that you are allowed to give this information? Surely you must have signed a confidentiality contract that will include many procedures. Even I had to do that in the prison.
I am allowed to discuss cases that have been closed. My non-disclosure agreement is only against those that are still open (meaning a trial is forthcoming). I personally won't discuss something until it has been to trial.

Anything I discuss here can probably be found in any given textbook on the subject or even a good internet search I'm sure.
Fair enough. Wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, was just curious. I suppose you have a good point. I'm personally very paranoid about the idea of freely giving information about such protocols though. After all you don't know who's asking for it. meh, thanks for the information

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Furburt said:
How's the detectives relationship with the beat cops and other uniform policemen? Is it perfectly amicable, or is there any friction?

Also, is there a typical attire to wear should you be going on an operation for whatever reason? I mean, the unofficial title is 'plain clothes' but I'm assuming you can't just wear a metallica t-shirt and jeans.

By operation, I mean going out to question someone at their house, and so forth.
There is always friction between different sub-departments. Hell there is between the same departments. I am on 2nd shift my shift constantly competes to get more cases 'in the black' than the 1st shift guys. It is a friendly rivalry of course.
Usually the only time there is friction between us and beat cops is when a crime has occurred. A beat cop's first job is to make sure the crime scene is secure. That is making sure no one goes clomping through the scene or any witnesses go running off. This is especially important in homicide. The only time I've chewed out a beat cop is when we had a gas station robbery and the goof let the clerk who was held up (and shot at) run off and let business continue as usual. If I wasn't so lucky I never would have found the discharged shell that somehow go swept out in to the parking lot.
Also, some beat cops do feel that detectives give off a 'holier than thou' attitude. They aren't entirely wrong with some detectives. I've tried to stay friends with all those ranked below me.

We are required to wear suits in my department except in summer we can wear slacks and a polo. This is a pretty typical set up for most departments.
I hate wearing the suit because without fail I will have to chase some knucklehead.

When I was vice and working undercover I would dress in torn up jeans and t-shirts I would also wear fake nicotine patches so people didn't ask me to smoke.

Trifixion

Infamous Scribbler
Oct 13, 2009
Pardon my ignorance on this, just curious...

If you are working undercover and in the course of maintaining that cover you have to commit a crime, can you later be prosecuted yourself for that crime, or does your undercover status effectively afford you a "get out of jail free" card?

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Pimppeter2 said:
Hmm, I looked back at that old thread and I found my old post

Pimppeter2 said:
[D]o you ever use you suit for stripping?
This demands and update!

YOU said:
She loves calling me Salty and I call her Pepper so I'm using those names in this example)
I am a 6'6" white guy who has a barrel chest. My partner is a 5'4" black woman from the Caribbean.
So when are you two sending this sitcom idea to NBC?
Bwahahaha. No shit, it does sound like a sitcom doesn't it? Or at least a buddy cop film. Though we're both pretty sassy.

As far as your first question. That is between me and my wife good sir.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
What is the most common crime you investigate?
Well, I am in crimes against property. The two most common crimes I have been investigating lately are Burglaries and Fraud.
The problem with Burglaries is that there isn't all that much evidence, unless you absolutely know what was stolen.
Tip: Make sure you have the serial numbers written for all your high end electronics (like playstations and TVs) it is SOOOOO easy to catch those guys when we have the serial numbers. We just go on craigslist or a pawn shop find where they got said item from and that's all she wrote.

Fraud is a much more nuanced and difficult crime to investigate. In this subject I cannot go in to too much detail for the techniques we use are somewhat sensitive.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Did you ever had paranormal cases? by that i mean, unsolved or wierd cases? and if you can tell some anecdotes that'be interesting to hear.

(thinking of Jack Walters on CoC:DCOTE)

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Beldaros said:
ace_of_something said:
Beldaros said:

Anything I discuss here can probably be found in any given textbook on the subject or even a good internet search I'm sure.
Fair enough. Wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, was just curious. I suppose you have a good point. I'm personally very paranoid about the idea of freely giving information about such protocols though. After all you don't know who's asking for it. meh, thanks for the information
Oh not at all. It was a perfectly valid question. I didn't mean to come across as crabby if I did.

Pimppeter2 said:
Who's a better detective, you or Veronica Mars [http://stopbragging.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/01-kristen-bell-veronica-mars-veronica-mars.jpg]?
Never heard of her. Hmm tough call. I'm gonna go with me. As I have a much better goatee which is critical to being a good detective.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Do you ever do the whole flashing lights and siren to get through red lights for no real reason?

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Vanguard_Ex said:
How often do you have to use negotiators?
Not sure what you mean by that? Do you mean like in the movie 'the negotiator'? In which case there are people on each department specially trained for that situation. I've only seen them used once when a guy was threatening to jump off a bridge. I believe they get pulled in this city (population about half a million) a few times a year.
I don't think I could do that job, I'm not warm and cuddly enough.

Arcthelad said:
Are you happy with your salary? What is your salary?
Like most people in law enforcement who are not brass (very high ranking people) I don't make a salary I am paid an hourly wage. It's actually based more off how long you've been in the department. I actually hold the record in our department for fastest person to be promoted to detective (partly because I was on a different department before this and my good education)
So because I only have a little under two years here I am actually the lowest paid detective on the department. :p
I am happy with my pay though because I do a crotchton of overtime where they pay me 1 1/2 times my normal pay.