Ask a detective/undercover cop

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Pimppeter2 said:
Who's a better detective, you or Veronica Mars [http://stopbragging.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/01-kristen-bell-veronica-mars-veronica-mars.jpg]?
keep flashing pictures like that and his brother will find you lol

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
How do you feel about the Resurection of your old thread? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.78482-ask-a-cop-jailer]

And what would you sing if you were on American Idol?

_tinned_magpie_

Feb 19, 2010
It says something about a thread when you create an account specifically to post on it. This really is fascinating.

I have a query. It's not all that heavy, and it has more to do with cop than detective, but I'll post it here regardless. I'd appreciate your input.

I'm good friends with the woman who runs our local shop. She's a nice old lady, but blunt with an utterly no-nonsense attitude. I often sit in the shop and talk with her, and the other day she told me about an incident she'd had with a couple of police officers. The shop is directly opposite my old secondary school, and is usually crawling with kids. Due to some anti-social behaviour or other, the school asked her to stop serving the kids - which she did - only for it to rebound on her. They started shouting abuse and threats, and there were a lot of thefts, so she decided to serve the kids regardless as it would be easier, not to mention safer.

A day or so later, a couple of policemen enter the shop and ask her why she decided to serve the kids against the schools wishes. She explained, only for one of the policemen to try and intimidate her. I don't know the exact ins and outs of it, but the one thing that scared her was that he told her: "If you don't, I could make life very difficult for you."

She's done as they said since, but she was really shaken by the police visit. She's a bit forthright, but it's her own private business and I don't think she did anything wrong. Her husband thinks she should complain, but I don't know whether she'd get anywhere. I'm in England, not America, but I thought that something like this isn't really country-restrictive. Do you think she'd have a chance if she complained? Have you ever experienced anything like this in your workplace?

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
What do you think of the fact that my high school offers a class that basically tells you how to be a cop on CSI? (we watched the show several times in that class)

How do you handle it when a person calls you guys over on a regular basis, when they're crazy? (my friends neighbor has called the cops on him while he was working in his backyard)

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
OK, First off, I want to join the UK police, And so you have to shout "Your Nicked!" next time you make an arrest.

Now i myself work in...Security. We are quite Hi-tech in our approaches, But i have to ask:

What was the longest case you ever had to deal with?

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
How often do you figure a case out whilst drinking bitterly at the pub?

In all seriousness though, I seem to remember a thread telling us that you were hospitalized a couple of months back, with something rather serious, I take it you've made a full recovery? How was it? Was it difficult getting back in shape properly? Has it affected your work to any great length?

Mayonegg

Mar 29, 2009
Do you guys have a sort of clear-cut pre-established drop-off for the likelihood of solving a crime against the time since said crime had taken place?

Also, thank you for pointing me in the direction of that topic; it was incredibly informative.

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
Jingermanoo said:
Is it possible for someone to hack your Escapist account and then deduce your identity, tipping off people in the area you live/work and potentially endangering your life?
I can answer this one: No, it is not possible.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Kuliani said:
Jingermanoo said:
Is it possible for someone to hack your Escapist account and then deduce your identity, tipping off people in the area you live/work and potentially endangering your life?
If the site doesn't keep track of the IP of the user, then how would IP bans stick? Surely if it's just the account that's banned then an IP ban would do no good. You'd have to have some way of knowing the IP the account logged in on. Although that may be incorrect, and I'm open to an explanation if you do so willing have the time ;D

*shifty eyes*

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
Have you ever witnessed or been suspicous of any fellow officers using methods which perhaps cross the line of acceptable conduct, or any corruption and likewise any unlawful behaviour on the part of anyone you may have worked with?

Low Key

May 7, 2009
How often is good evidence deemed inadmissible in court because a silly, minute procedure wasn't followed? And has that ever happened to you?

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
ace_of_something said:
After the sexy success of my [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.78482-ask-a-cop-jailer] Ask a Cop/Jailer[/a] Thread which refused to die over the course of a year.
I've decided to educate you escapists on detective-ing.
I come from a big group of gumshoes.
My uncle (whom I am named after) was one of the first local departments to do the whole 'pretending to be a 14 year old girl on the internet' schtick. He began doing this in about 1995. He now is retired but travels around the country as a consultant helping departments set up pedophile sting operations.
Another uncle who is one year from retiring in the(Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms.) He has 19 years in this department under his belt and 9 years in on Cook County Sheriff's before that (that would be Chicago)
My older brother has been a homicide detective in El Paso, TX. He has been assigned this duty for about three years. He has been a cop for a total of 17 years.
My twin brother is on the city police in the area we live in and has been a SCU (Sexual Based Crimes Unit) for about two years. He has about 8 years experience all together. Before that he worked in the gang unit.
I myself worked as a vice officer on the city police for 3 years. I had a brief run as a corrections officer before switching over to the county sheriff (about 1/2 the size of the city police) on the sheriff's department I have been in 'Crimes Against Property' division for about 7 or 8 months now. I aspire one day to hit the big show. That would be Homicide or the ATF.
This is all not counting my other brother who is a cop but not a detective and one who works as an investigator for Union Pacific Railroad.

I have an MS in Sociology/Criminology. I am constantly reading new techniques and memoirs of detectives.

Most of my knowledge is strictly in the American procedure but I've been trying to learn more about the UK.

As with the ask a cop. Keep it civil and you will get as straight an answer as I can offer. Try to keep your questions in the realm of detectivery and under cover coppery.

edit: I just remembered I have a 2nd Cousin that works as some sort of Detective in Troms County Norway. I almost never talk to the guy though.
And another 2nd cousin who works as some sort of Cop in Bergen.
what sort of gun do you carry for undercover work? obviously youwnt a balance of concealibility, draw speed, damage per round ammo capacity. What did actual police officers carry? a snub nosed .38 special, a .380 acp, or something else?

Prof.Wood

Jul 10, 2009
Have you ever called a partner 'Rook'
Also do you think that people should have guns.
I do but I live in England and really want a hand gun (in case of zombie's).

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
dududf said:
Kuliani said:
Jingermanoo said:
If the site doesn't keep track of the IP of the user, then how would IP bans stick? Surely if it's just the account that's banned then an IP ban would do no good. You'd have to have some way of knowing the IP the account logged in on. Although that may be incorrect, and I'm open to an explanation if you do so willing have the time ;D

*shifty eyes*
Tracing an IP to it's source doesn't happen like in the movies. You'll hit the last public internet hub and then get timeouts. The best any IP trace can do is show what is the closest internet hub to your location; once it's hits your ISP, nothing.

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
Mr. Cuddles said:
Weeeeeeell, something that has bugged me for a while, I'm studying Law, and I've worked for a prosecution lawyer for a few weeks (mostly getting him Coffee, but very educational none the less) on some form of work experiance, Whenever dealing with detectives they were very crabby to the man I was working for, clearly they resented him, still have no idea why, but they really didn't like him...
So, my question be, how is your relationship with Lawyers, or other legal officals not within the enforcment of it?
I don't know if it's the same over the pond, but I recently went to a trial in the UK Crown Court (not for anyone I know, but for educational reasons), the crime involved a racially motivated attack from six people on a Polish dude. When a Police officer was called to the scene, he saw six people running away from the car and appearing to hide.

When it came time for the officer to give his testimony, despite him seeing possibly a vital piece of evidence and his 22 years on the force; the defence barrister (UK version of a lawyer) spent 20 minutes not questioning him on what he saw, but trying to discredit him at every possible chance, including attacking him over why he didn't follow the correct procedures, his lack of memory over something that happened two years ago and his courtroom manner (e.g. an exact quote "Don't look at me when testifying! Look over to the jury!" in an obvious attempt to belittle him).

As I said, I don't know if it's the same over there, but i can imagine that's a major contribution.