Ask a detective/undercover cop

The Random One

May 29, 2008
When you worked undercover, did someone actually ask if you were a cop, thinking you'd be forced to say the truth if you were?

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Kuliani said:
dududf said:
Kuliani said:
Jingermanoo said:
Is it possible for someone to hack your Escapist account and then deduce your identity, tipping off people in the area you live/work and potentially endangering your life?
I can answer this one: No, it is not possible.
If the site doesn't keep track of the IP of the user, then how would IP bans stick? Surely if it's just the account that's banned then an IP ban would do no good. You'd have to have some way of knowing the IP the account logged in on. Although that may be incorrect, and I'm open to an explanation if you do so willing have the time ;D

*shifty eyes*
Tracing an IP to it's source doesn't happen like in the movies. You'll hit the last public internet hub and then get timeouts. The best any IP trace can do is show what is the closest internet hub to your location; once it's hits your ISP, nothing.
He he cool.

I'm assuming it is still possible to find some ones address with their IP though, due to me testing it myself and getting my exact location. I think it was a Fire Fox addon actually, perhaps the method the addon used was different from what I'm thinking of...

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Quaxar said:
Other question: Is fitness still important for detectives? If so, are there like annually condition tests or is it rather honor-based?
There is an annual fitness test on our department but it's pretty easy though. The one detectives have to take is even easier. It's like "carry this 30 lb bag up a flight of stairs" "Now bend over as far as you can"

Pimppeter2 said:
How do you feel about the Resurection of your old thread? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.78482-ask-a-cop-jailer]

And what would you sing if you were on American Idol?
I figured that would happen.
Hrmmm... [a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0jyqGxAyRc] the stations[/a] I speak in a bass baritone. I sing in what is normally called 'a horrible voice'

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
sam13lfc said:
What's the scariest thing you've experienced in your career?
Insanum said:
What was the longest case you ever had to deal with?

Other than moment before I had to discharge my weapon? (which i linked somewhere else on this thread)

The answer to both of these questions is the same.

Once, ages ago. I was working with the ATF to help take down a large amount of mexican drug traffickers. It was also the longest time I was undercover (about 2 months) It was scary because when I was out of cover and visiting my mother for her birthday. Two of the guys I was basically shadowing around saw me. With my Mom and some of my brothers. I just introduced them to my Mom and brothers like it was nothing. I used fake names though, hoping my family would catch on. Three of my brothers are also cops and my whole family knew I was in prolonged cover so it worked. From that moment on though I as terrified to get found out because I didn't want them to go after my Mom. There aren't many 6'1' women with funny accents in this town so she'd stick out wherever she goes.
This doesn't mention the fact that my cover story was that my parents had disowned me. I had to then make up a reconciliation story on the fly. Being good at undercover is like being an improve actor. Except you can't forget a single thing you've said. If you suddenly change your life story. You could be dead.
Thankfully, the case ended about two weeks later. I was weary about my mother's safety for several months later though, I lost many nights of sleep.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Arachon said:
How often do you figure a case out whilst drinking bitterly at the pub?

In all seriousness though, I seem to remember a thread telling us that you were hospitalized a couple of months back, with something rather serious, I take it you've made a full recovery? How was it? Was it difficult getting back in shape properly? Has it affected your work to any great length?
I had basically a paralysis caused by lupus building up weirdness in my system. It fucking sucked I couldn't move or communicate for a day or two. Thankfully the doctors knew my history and that this was basically something waiting to happen. I still have a little trouble walking sometimes due to immense pain in my legs. So a couple days a week I walk around with a cane. If I was a beat cop this would basically cost me my job. Thankfully I'm a detective so it's not too big a deal.
Yes, I'm like the anti-house of detectiving. I'm actually polite, professional, and try to be friendly.

The Austin said:
Is your life anything like Law and Order: SVU?
It isn't nearly like that enough. For starters I don't investigate sex crimes. Second I'd love to work with

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Hollock said:
What do you think of the fact that my high school offers a class that basically tells you how to be a cop on CSI? (we watched the show several times in that class)

How do you handle it when a person calls you guys over on a regular basis, when they're crazy? (my friends neighbor has called the cops on him while he was working in his backyard)
thebobmaster said:
If you have ever seen the show "Cold Case" on TNT, how accurate is it when it comes to how suspects or witnesses are interviewed?
soapyshooter said:
Have you ever seen the show NCIS? Are you as badass as Mark Harmon?
Never seen cold case. Sorry. Yes, I've seen the various CSIs they angry up my blood. I'm polite, professional, and empathetic. This works much better for getting people to confess than being a badass. Sorry to say.
As far as a class that 'tells you how to do CSI' I'm sure it's more explaining the scientific principals behind some of the things they do because some of it, simply isn't possible, plausible or feasible with current technology.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Mayonegg said:
Do you guys have a sort of clear-cut pre-established drop-off for the likelihood of solving a crime against the time since said crime had taken place?

Also, thank you for pointing me in the direction of that topic; it was incredibly informative.
In murder cases if a case doesn't have a prime suspect in the first 48 hours it's likelihood of being solved drops drastically. For most other crimes? Well, yeah every day that passes things get less and less likely to be solved. I am not sure if their are hard numbers on anything other than homicide.

Low Key said:
How often is good evidence deemed inadmissible in court because a silly, minute procedure wasn't followed? And has that ever happened to you?
Not as often as TV would have you believe. It does happen but I've only seen it happen maybe a dozen times out of, I don't know, half a thousand cases.
More often what happens is character issues are thrown out. Like the judge won't let the DA bring up a suspect's criminal history.
If a guy has been to prison 5 times now for robbing convenience stores in the exact same way and each time he confessed but this time he won't because he's getting habitual criminal sentencing. It should be brought up before the jury. Many judges think that's unfair though.
What I think is unfair is that I've actually heard of juries letting people go because "He just looks like such a nice young man" or "I hate cops" There is a reason most juries find defendants not guilty. It's because they try to put the biggest idiots or wishy-washy people they can on a jury.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Liberaliter said:
Have you ever witnessed or been suspicous of any fellow officers using methods which perhaps cross the line of acceptable conduct, or any corruption and likewise any unlawful behaviour on the part of anyone you may have worked with?
I haven't seen anyone do anything too crazy Nothing that would be 'unethical' so much as 'bone-headed'. I've seen people throw one more punch than was needed or took a disrespectful tone that made much worse. Usually in these cases I'm grownup enough to call the person out on it later on. (Not wise to do it in front of the citizens). As far as planting evidence, running a protection racket or acting like Denzel Washington? No, can't say I've seen anything like that. Like I said most big fuckups are more from someone losing their temper or just making a horribly stupid decision ("well detective I let the guy leave cause he said he didn't see anything and he wanted to wash all that blood off his shirt")

_tinned_magpie_ said:
It says something about a thread when you create an account specifically to post on it. This really is fascinating.

I have a query. It's not all that heavy, and it has more to do with cop than detective, but I'll post it here regardless. I'd appreciate your input.

I'm good friends with the woman who runs our local shop. She's a nice old lady, but blunt with an utterly no-nonsense attitude. I often sit in the shop and talk with her, and the other day she told me about an incident she'd had with a couple of police officers. The shop is directly opposite my old secondary school, and is usually crawling with kids. Due to some anti-social behaviour or other, the school asked her to stop serving the kids - which she did - only for it to rebound on her. They started shouting abuse and threats, and there were a lot of thefts, so she decided to serve the kids regardless as it would be easier, not to mention safer.

A day or so later, a couple of policemen enter the shop and ask her why she decided to serve the kids against the schools wishes. She explained, only for one of the policemen to try and intimidate her. I don't know the exact ins and outs of it, but the one thing that scared her was that he told her: "If you don't, I could make life very difficult for you."

She's done as they said since, but she was really shaken by the police visit. She's a bit forthright, but it's her own private business and I don't think she did anything wrong. Her husband thinks she should complain, but I don't know whether she'd get anywhere. I'm in England, not America, but I thought that something like this isn't really country-restrictive. Do you think she'd have a chance if she complained? Have you ever experienced anything like this in your workplace?
Welcome to the escapist first of all.
From what I?ve heard and read the UK?s national policing force needs to reign it in a bit. They continue to use intimidation and an us vs. them mentality. Most departments have moved beyond that to what is called community policing. Which is to say, working with people and being polite. It?s amazing how the UK refuses to progress in this way considering they [a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Peel]invented policing[/a] Saying something like that to a store clerk is botarded. What they should have done is explained why the school wanted her to stop serving kids. My guess would be so they don?t hang out there while they?re skipping school or bringing back forbidden items in to the school. If she was having a hard time keeping the kids out and they were stealing things because she wouldn?t let them buy I hope she let the cops know. If they did say something stupid like that to her she should sure as hell report them. She should also ask that an officer be posted around her shop during school hours if possible. That would stop the problem and make everyone happy.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
First of all, this is great, and very informative, so I thank you for this. Now I have two questions for you, but I will understand if you can't answer the first, as it might be more a Canadian thing

1. There have been many instances where people have believed Tazers are deadly and shouldn't be used on a regular basis. What are you opinions on Non-Lethal devices such as the Tazer, and if its a negative view, do you know of any other substitutes?

2. I realize you were asked something similar to this before, but it sisn't quite answer my question. As a future law student and later, a lawyer, what is your relationship with the defense side of the case?

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
RelexCryo said:
what sort of gun do you carry for undercover work? obviously youwnt a balance of concealibility, draw speed, damage per round ammo capacity. What did actual police officers carry? a snub nosed .38 special, a .380 acp, or something else?
When working undercover I was usually unarmed. I might've carried a stick (edit: Sorry, aka switchblade) but that was about it. Carrying a gun can freak out some drug dealers and make them think you're a cop.
In my department most people are issued 'the most popular guns in law enforcement' which is a Glock Series 22 or 23 depending on personal preference.

Prof.Wood said:
Have you ever called a partner 'Rook'
Also do you think that people should have guns.
I do but I live in England and really want a hand gun (in case of zombie's).
Nope, somehow I always end up being the junior officer. I consider myself lucky in that way. It's easier to learn more.
I believe in the right to bear arms. I think it's niave of governments to think criminals can't get a hold of illegal guns. (which even in the UK illegal guns are the most common cause of gun crime). Tight regulations and registration are essential though.
AkJay said:
Do you carry a Tranq. gun?
No, can't say that I do. As a beat cop I had a taser and pepper spray though.
Note: I'd rather be taser'd than pepper sprayed. That shit is horrible.

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
Interesting thread. Inspires me to start my own: "ask an accountant" thread. oh the controversy.

Anyhoo, what would job would you do if you had to choose something outside of the whole law enforcement area?

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
i didnt bother to check if this has been asked all ready, but if some asks you are u an undercover cop three times do u really have to tell them?

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

EDIT: Answered first question already.

Second, what part of your job would you eliminate if you could? (i.e. what part of being the fuzz grinds your gears the most?)

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
As a cop you are expected to act professional in your job at all times and I was just wondering have you ever made any mistakes, serious mistakes that put a great risk on yourself, or your fellow officers or citizens?

Also as a follow up question, how forgiving are your superiors towards mistakes, even the smallest ones?

Professor M

Jul 31, 2009
How many cases or investigations do you normally do in a week? Do you normally average about one a week, or more than that?

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
ace_of_something said:
Arachon said:
How often do you figure a case out whilst drinking bitterly at the pub?

In all seriousness though, I seem to remember a thread telling us that you were hospitalized a couple of months back, with something rather serious, I take it you've made a full recovery? How was it? Was it difficult getting back in shape properly? Has it affected your work to any great length?
I had basically a paralysis caused by lupus building up weirdness in my system. It fucking sucked I couldn't move or communicate for a day or two. Thankfully the doctors knew my history and that this was basically something waiting to happen. I still have a little trouble walking sometimes due to immense pain in my legs. So a couple days a week I walk around with a cane. If I was a beat cop this would basically cost me my job. Thankfully I'm a detective so it's not too big a deal.
Yes, I'm like the anti-house of detectiving. I'm actually polite, professional, and try to be friendly.

The Austin said:
Is your life anything like Law and Order: SVU?
It isn't nearly like that enough. For starters I don't investigate sex crimes. Second I'd love to work with
I KNOW, RIGHT!!!!

Err...
*Ahem*
She's OK I guess....

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Lost In The Void said:
First of all, this is great, and very informative, so I thank you for this. Now I have two questions for you, but I will understand if you can't answer the first, as it might be more a Canadian thing

1. There have been many instances where people have believed Tazers are deadly and shouldn't be used on a regular basis. What are you opinions on Non-Lethal devices such as the Tazer, and if its a negative view, do you know of any other substitutes?

2. I realize you were asked something similar to this before, but it sisn't quite answer my question. As a future law student and later, a lawyer, what is your relationship with the defense side of the case?
Tasers aren't as bad as people make them out to be. For the 500 times they are used with no problems you'll get an explosion of reports when they are. Most of the time there are problems it's due to lack of training and the officer doesn't use it right OR the person is way beyond what tasering can do. An example I can think of around here is when a guy put a baggie of crack in his mouth and refused to open. So what did the 18 year veteran do who just got his very first taser? He tased the shit out of the guy until he opened his mouth. He did this like 15 times or something. Tasers are used for pain compliance to stop violent acts or calm a person down. Not pain compliance to get someone to spit it out! (which he probably couldn't) the suspect in question was also high as a kite so the taser wasn't helping a whole lot.
Alternatives include mostly pepper balls and pepper spray. Now, in most departments you have to have an non-lethal weapon used on you before you're allowed to carry one. This being said I would much rather be tased than pepper sprayed. Once the taser is off the pain is over ya know? But that pepper spray, you're going to feel that shit all day.

2. The relationship we have with attorneys is usually best described as... begrudging respect and cooperation. Thing is many detectives view attorneys as morally bankrupt ivory tower eggheads who don't have the common sense god gave a newborn pup. Many attorneys view detectives as lazy, devil may care slobs who act with about as much tact and caution as a fox in a chicken coop.
But both side know they need to work together. We have to bring as much evidence, properly found, to the DA as possible. They have to find a way to USE as much of it as possible and get a conviction with the least work needed. Some detectives get bitter when a DA will let their slam dunk case get plea bargained down to 1/4 of the possible sentence. Especially when the suspect in question is a complete fucking monster.
So it can be tense.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
ace_of_something said:
Lost In The Void said:

Tasers aren't as bad as people make them out to be. For the 500 times they are used with no problems you'll get an explosion of reports when they are. Most of the time there are problems it's due to lack of training and the officer doesn't use it right OR the person is way beyond what tasering can do. An example I can think of around here is when a guy put a baggie of crack in his mouth and refused to open. So what did the 20 year veteran do who just go his very first taser? He tased the shit out of the guy until he opened his mouth. He did this like 15 times or something. Tasers are used for pain compliance to stop violent acts or calm a person down. Not pain compliance to get someone to spit it out! (which he probably couldn't) the suspect in question was also high as a kite so the taser wasn't helping a whole lot.
Alternatives include mostly pepper balls and pepper spray. Now, in most departments you have to have an non-lethal weapon used on you before you're allowed to carry one. This being said I would much rather be tased than pepper sprayed. Once the taser is off the pain is over ya know? But that pepper spray, you're going to feel that shit all day.

2. The relationship we have with attorneys is usually best described as... begrudging respect and cooperation. Thing is many detectives view attorneys as morally bankrupt ivory tower eggheads who don't have the common sense god gave a newborn pup. Many attorneys view detectives as lazy, devil may care slobs who act with about as much tact and caution as a fox in a chicken coop.
But both side know they need to work together. We have to bring as much evidence, properly found, to the DA as possible. They have to find a way to USE as much of it as possible and get a conviction with the least work needed. Some detectives get bitter when a DA will let their slam dunk case get plea bargained down to 1/4 of the possible sentence. Especially when the suspect in question is a complete fucking monster.
So it can be tense.
Thank you for two very well thought out answers, often enough I do see those reports of Tazer abuse, and I assure you, I still think they're a better alternative to shooting then person, and risking your own body to bring him down. I also agree with you about the pepper spray, that shit burns all day, no matter how much you try to wash it out.

On the Lawyers thing, it is a shame that those two groups cannot co-exist in a more tolerant manner, but I guess it comes down to two different worlds. I'm hoping, as a future lawyer, for this not to get too bad while I'm there.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
ace_of_something said:
After the sexy success of my [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.78482-ask-a-cop-jailer] Ask a Cop/Jailer[/a]
I have an MS in Sociology/Criminology. I am constantly reading new techniques and memoirs of detectives.

Most of my knowledge is strictly in the American procedure but I've been trying to learn more about the UK.

As with the ask a cop. Keep it civil and you will get as straight an answer as I can offer. Try to keep your questions in the realm of detectivery and under cover coppery.

edit: I just remembered I have a 2nd Cousin that works as some sort of Detective in Troms County Norway. I almost never talk to the guy though.
And another 2nd cousin who works as some sort of Cop in Bergen.
Know anything about your forensics team? Im looking into a career for forensics and if your actually from a detective agency i was hoping you could give me a bit of info. Ive heard the competition for these jobs as a forensics scientist is very high and only a few are needed, demand is low. I was wondering what kinds of things you send there way, is it all analysing blood and stuff, any field work, or is it a thing where you can choose. Is it all lab work? Do they work hard with long shifts? Do you always send a lot of stuff their way frome very scene you investigate? IS there any veriety in their work?

Aug 25, 2009
I suppose my two questions would have to be:

1. How often is it found that other officers are being bribed. On TV this seems to happen once an episode of any given show, and I was wondering if it really was a common problem, or if it's a rare lapse. (Given that you worked Vice Squad, which is usually portrayed as the most corrupt). If you can't tell me don't worry.

2. Exactly which part of the process is the detective involved with? As mentioned above, shows like CSI, Silent Witness in the UK, Law and Order, tend to show forensic investigators doing all of the work from being assigned the case to presenting the evidence in court. What is the actual process for a standard crime (any really), who does the time tracking down leads, who makes the arrest, who corroborates evidence, who presents, who gives evidence in court, etc. What's the process and where does the detective fit in.