Asmodee on the warpath

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
As minis wargamers generally know, the market is primarily dominated by only a handful of companies and distribution for smaller/indie companies often relies on Kickstarter... which is now going the way of crypto, much to the bewilderment of many.

So question, for those who play skirmish/battle games, what do you play if it isn't from GW or Asmodee and where do you buy your product (whether new release or legacy content) from? I'll be honest, most of the minis I've bought recently have been a result of kickstarters with very little from general releases because guaranteeing items in stock is quite the pain.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I ended up backing that Battletech kickstarter in the BEFORE TIMES and I finally got my mechs. Ended up with a good 5-6 lances worth of stompy bots, and I couldn't wait to learn to play. And then as if trumpets sounded, every single person in my community stopped playing Battletech...except for those guys. You know exactly the ones I mean. Those guys. The ones who still talk about gates and the various gamers who cross them, who still use "gay" as an everyday slur, neckbeard 4chan kiwifarmer redpill fuckos who you genuinely don't want to be around because just their looks make you uncomfortable, let alone their words what they speak.

And I refuse. I refuse the premise of those guys, so my battlemechs are sitting on a self gathering dust for now.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
It's been a few years since I bought anything, mostly been selling off my pile of shame. Which is still fuckin huge.

I would occasionally buy the odd hasslefree miniature and the raging heroes kurganova stormtroopers were actually really nice armour designs that I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen with.

Otherwise a few different "I can't believe it's not GW" companies.

But anyway... Rogue Trader and 3rd ed Fantasy Battle til death! DEEEAAAATTHH!

Also 2nd ed Epic.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Zombicide. It's become my main jam. Beautiful mini's, pretty reasonable prices for the most part. I dont' need you anymore, GW.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
As minis wargamers generally know, the market is primarily dominated by only a handful of companies and distribution for smaller/indie companies often relies on Kickstarter... which is now going the way of crypto, much to the bewilderment of many.
I don't play any more. But, I have an opinion or two to proffer.

A 3d printer nowadays is about as costly -- if not cheaper -- than a requisite set of minis. Given the draconian and regressive business models of major wargaming companies right now in the face of this development, which otherwise would open a universe of possibility for any forward-thinking game company with business sense that doesn't rely on copyright claim abuse, it would be open season for any gaming company with the investment capitol and ethics to seize on the proliferation of 3d printing.

The first gaming company that focuses primarily on rulebook publication, selling CAD files for at-home model printing, and/or print-on-demand retail, is going to revolutionize the industry and make a killing doing it.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave

A 3d printer nowadays is about as costly -- if not cheaper -- than a requisite set of minis. Given the draconian and regressive business models of major wargaming companies right now in the face of this development, which otherwise would open a universe of possibility for any forward-thinking game company with business sense that doesn't rely on copyright claim abuse, it would be open season for any gaming company with the investment capitol and ethics to seize on the proliferation of 3d printing.

The first gaming company that focuses primarily on rulebook publication, selling CAD files for at-home model printing, and/or print-on-demand retail, is going to revolutionize the industry and make a killing doing it.
I've seen this argument (valid, IMO, even if I personally dislike it) on the various minis-gaming forums I frequent.

The issue I take with it is that... as is, 3D-printing minis is essentially a hobby in and of itself (those among my old gaming group have six printers among themselves and they all consider printing an additional hobby or a hugely substantial phase of the minis-gaming hobby at the very least). While the cost side of things is gradually moving over towards savings (what with GW's aggressive pricing policies, the rising cost of white pewter, the inherently high cost of transferring to hard plastic tooling etc.), for a lot of people, myself included, a 3D printer isn't really worth the effort of investing into because of budget set aside for minis and accessories (I only buy in to two games one of which is relatively low model count and the other has a slow release cycle, so it is completely not worth the effort of buying a printer, spending the time to learn how to use it and spending the money for all the resources and excess, a pittance though it may be, but the shipping is likely going to be the dent in my wallet). The main thing is the time. I'm an adult, I have two jobs, other hobbies besides, and a rather small apartment (I'm led to believe printers generally give off at least a base level of unpleasant fumes and are noisy to boot). And though this is more particular to myself, I'm sure others will share my situation of being in a minis-gaming wilderness (the local community, hell, the national community is miniscule and literally no-one is interested in 3D printing, so I can't even rely on a local gamer printing on my behalf). Because of how much time is required to come to fully understand the ins and outs of 3D printing, coupled with the printing and cleaning processes, it's not an attractive option for those who want to have minis straight in hand to play because they've got barely enough time to game, much less print(/assemble) and paint.

As a counter to this, I am aware this state is improving for luddite users like myself (once we get to a state of 'push 'n print', I might be interested, I'm that technophobic) but because of the base cost involved in buying a printer and the risk we 'won't agree with it' and knowing better printers will be on the market in a couple years' time, it's not an appealing choice at present. That said, I believe FLGS's will maintain a role in the future as providers of a printing service (even if it isn't viable now, I believe it will be in the not too distant future) and being allowed to be more system agnostic given how GW shoves their product down most stores' throats and demands restrictions for the privilege.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
The issue I take with it is that...
Oh believe me, I'm absolutely aware of the physical and technical constraints at-home 3d printing have currently. Hence, print-on-demand retail, via online order and fulfillment or via brick-and-mortar with in-house 3d printing. Extra points for the latter, since they can also double as supply stores and gaming spaces.

Reactions: SckizoBoy

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009

So question, for those who play skirmish/battle games, what do you play if it isn't from GW or Asmodee and where do you buy your product (whether new release or legacy content) from? I'll be honest, most of the minis I've bought recently have been a result of kickstarters with very little from general releases because guaranteeing items in stock is quite the pain.
Honestly, depending on what you want to do, you might be able to just buy a load of Lego. There are heavy limitations (orcs etc. might be tricky) and they might not look very serious, but...

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Could deal with 3D printing. I'm a bit more of a collector so I like to pick up all the stuff I missed when I was a kid but I want the original. That said, making up whole squads of old stuff like 2nd ed Epic can be an ass, or you get incomplete models, or old titan weapons that cost as much as a 40k squad each so you want one to have it, but fuck paying or finding enough for a titan company. 3D printing can fill the gap.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.

The problem with 3D printing is the long arse time it takes to print things if you want them to look anything other than a Cubist's rendering of dildo (and we're talking several hours here for most home printers)... so fuck only knows how long it would take to print out a starting set. Okay, that's probably not a dealbreaker but something that could punch a lot of people's enthusiasm in the kidneys.

As for selling the CAD files... I dunno... sounds like a way to stress yourself to death over who's buying buying them and who's just pirating them. With all models being 3D printed it's not like anyone could tell. I mean, you could always choose to not give a shit and be happy people are playing your game and some of them are decent enough to pay for the files... Or just give the files away or bundle them with merch that earns you coin.