Assassin?s Creed Revelations Review

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Hmm...

Well tower defence is a genre i dont mind much, i use it to hone my patience, and assuming the assassins guild in this game is the same as it was in Brotherhood, im not going to mind that much either.

Ok, ill get my parents to get me this for christmas, at least it means i wont get something i dont want, which is often the case.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
I had been debating whether or not to pick this up. Having finished the first three I am eager for the story continuation, but I wasn't sure if this would just be too much more of the same, it being Ezio's third game and all. I have absolutely no interest in the multiplayer in AC.

Looks like I might have to get it after all but if the next installment isn't a drastically different setting, this may be where I stop.

Great review as always, Thanks!

Tower Defense = Plants vs Templars?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I absolutely loved this game. Coming from an already established AC fanboy that's not much of a revelation (u see wat i did thar?), but still, this was on another level. I can see your point about too many gadgets, but I felt that splitting the weapon wheel in two this time around really sidestepped that problem well while still being able to keep in all the stuff they thought of.

My only complaint would be that it's a bit too easy (apart from fighting the Janissaries, they're a *****). Maybe the tower defense mini-game would have gotten tedious if I'd had to do it more than twice (and that's including the compulsory one). It's so easy to keep your wanted level down, and to get rid of it quickly the few times that you can't avoid it maxing out, that I was only ever attacked once.

And the ending. Oh sweet Lord the ending!

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
3.5/5? 7/10?

I saw this as a fair score for a fair review. Let's see if Jim Sterling's commentary on the "hate out of 10" will come out here.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
So wait for a price drop? I still have Brotherhood to play so I can wait. Nice review Steve.

ZenoX969

Apr 1, 2011
Yeah... My first impressions of this game were very poor. Starting off with the same overly-easy gameplay from Brotherhood where you basicly just have to counter-attack one guy and then slaughter the rest of them without problem. And the thing I hated the most about Brotherhood, and you might laugh at this. It was that one counter-attack finisher when Ezio first stabs the guy with his sword and then, as if stabbing him wasn't enough, uses the hidden gun to shoot him too. Though no bullets are actually spent when this finishing move is performed. And it's also somehow silent to any enemies that SHOULD hear it.

Anyway, back to the point. Carriage ride?! WHY?! Why start it off with one of the worst gameplay features of all time? I've hated it ever since that short sequence in AC2. And now I have to fight off another carriage that somehow manages to do more damage to me EVERY TIME we make contact. Oh and the whole Desmond coma thing with 16 being his dream buddy. That doesn't look very promising. And I've basicly only played the intro. And I already got a bad feeling about that place.

And another thing about Brotherhood I didn't like was that you start off with everything. You're already a master assassin. Enough with Ezio already! Yes, he is a much better character than Altaïr in every way. But I want a new character to explore, new memories, new settings. What I loved most about AC2 was that you basicly went from zero to hero. A journey through someone's life, experiencing what he did to become this fabled master assassin he turned into by the end of the game. It would be nice to have that again with another character in another setting.

So yeah, I played as far as when I first got to the Istabul assassin's bureau. Then I went back to Skyrim. Funny thing about Skyrim. I couldn't even stop playing it to pick up my pre-ordered copy of ACR from the store. So I had my brother do it about 5 days after it's release.

I've loved Assassin's Creed ever since the first game, despite it's initial flaws. And Assassin's Creed 2 was just so refined and perfect. Then with Brotherhood it got a bit stale for me. More of the same, but at the same time less. You're only ever in one city (Rome) and the new gameplay features that were added made it a bit too easy. I'm not even sure about Revelations yet, since I've probably haven't even played an hour of it yet. But this whole yearly release might be killing off the franchise. They need something drasticly different for the next game if it's going to bring back my interest for the franchise.

I was actually afraid something like this would happen after Patrice Desilets left Ubisoft. This was shortly before the release of Brotherhood, though he did leave on good terms and was very excited for Brotherhood and all that (wished them the best of luck etc). He probably saw it coming and wanted to get away from that sinking ship of unending, and uninspired sequels. Ubisoft is like that. They get something good, then they milk it to death. It's sad to see.

Yay, 1:30 AM rant finished. If there's any typos I'll fix them later...

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I loved Assassin's Creed 1 and hated Assassin's Creed 2, so unless the series takes a drastic change in direction with 3, I'll continue passing on the sequels. I don't want minigames, favors, races, or errands. I just want to kill people in a dark sci fi / old timey setting. I don't care about Italian family drama. I don't want silly jokes. Just investigation/assassination / exploration / stealth. No more, no less.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Do you manage your Assassin's the same as in Brotherhood? If so this won't deter me from buying the game. Just waiting for more time and money will.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I actually really liked the first Assassin's Creed. The combat was difficult, and every weapon felt different. With Ezio, I felt unstoppable with every weapon, and I could no longer enjoy the added difficulty of using the hidden blade. I was hoping that as Ezio got older, he would have a harder time in a fight, but I guess I was wrong.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
The Tower Defence games don't get 'forced' at you, apart from the first one, the only other times they appear is if you piss of the guards. Get incognito and they don't happen...to my knowledge anyway.

The bombs, i kinda agree with...but they are hardly a deterrent, it's fun creating new types of bombs...and hey, at least the game pauses when you go to select something.

But yeh, great game...Voice acting is as great as ever, and the graphics are FANTASTIC.

Assassins Creed II and III taught me a lil Italian...

Revelations is teaching me Indian xD

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
Do you manage your Assassin's the same as in Brotherhood? If so this won't deter me from buying the game. Just waiting for more time and money will.
Yeh, only you have to keep checking on your Assassins, as the game no longer displays a little message saying "Bla bla has completed this job" and you need to assign 'Den Leaders'

It's relatively the same though.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
arc1991 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
And the ending. Oh sweet Lord the ending!
Please tell me the Ending wraps everything up? Without spoiling anything if you will. :p
It wraps everything up with Ezio and Altair. There are no dangling threads in either story, particularly if you watch the Embers movie that shows what happens to Ezio.

It's not clear at all what's going on with Desmond but since he's my least favorite of the series' three main characters, I'm ambivalent.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Great review, Steve. I went line for line with it, and it expressed everything I was missing about the game. Too many asides, the hookblade being something I have to actively use rather than it always being an automatic high profile use (the action for jumping backwards off a wall and to hookclimb up being the same action in different contexts has sent me plummeting to my death on several occasions). I don't mind the assassin training minigame, because having to train each of them individually with me would be more annoying, I think, and they collect rewards from it, so I can live with how that works. That I have to play the tower defense minigame, though, I'm less fond of. And don't even get me started on Desmond's non-corporeal first person platforming segments that actually reduce the amount of fun I'm having.

But, when it is fluid and realized, the game still has enough of what I love about the series. Flying from rooftop to rooftop, fleet and fast, dropping and stabbing an unsuspecting guard, sneaking my way through an occupied compound without being detected, seeing the lovely, astounding locations and streets of Constantinia, climinbing to great heights then jumping off the wrong direction...it is a sequel to the series I love, with some missteps into territory that is not as fun, but still great fun to interact with this world.

And the ardent, fevered nerd in me gets all kinds of happy for a Book collection over a collection of not-always-good art.

Frost27 said:
Tower Defense = Plants vs Templars?
No where near as fun, I'm afraid.

arc1991 said:
Revelations is teaching me Indian xD
No, it's teaching you Turkish.
Undead Dragon King said:
3.5/5? 7/10?

I saw this as a fair score for a fair review. Let's see if Jim Sterling's commentary on the "hate out of 10" will come out here.
I don't think so, the series has a pretty consistent fanbase, one that recognizes that there have been problems with each game, and very few people saying any of them were perfect. After the beating the first game took, and the recovery with 2 and brotherhood, it's not too hard to imagine a misstep.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Undead Dragon King said:
3.5/5? 7/10?

I'm only concerned with numerical review scores if the same person reviewed he three previous titles and based he numberd score off of a comparative viewpoint stacked against the rest. Judging a sequel on its own merits often leads to undeserved low scores.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
still have to wait till next month for the pc. steam still doesnt say when. just that it comes out in december.
good to hear its still good. looking forward to it :)

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Frost27 said:
Judging a sequel on its own merits often leads to undeserved low scores.
But judging a sequel with respect to its precessors can also lead to undeserved low scores. Take Dragon Age II. On its own merits, did the game really deserve the heaps of scorn placed on it? No reasonable gamer is so shallow as to claim that BioWare sold their souls to EA just because of a recycled mine level, respawning waves of baddies and arguably too much homosexual erotica. Remember the initial reviews for it, before it hit the shelves, with almost every publisher said it was an amazing work worthy of BioWare's storytelling?

Then the Dragon Age fanbase got their hands on it and screamed bloody murder because it didn't live up to the style of Origins.

It sounds like sequels can have problems either way.