Assassin?s Creed Revelations Review

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Ehhh, I thought it was okay. Ubisoft still makes a great game, but it just feels like this installment doesn't add much to the game. I'd much rather seem Ubisoft retire Ezio and move forward with the game then another episodic installment.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I was about to say how can you sit on a bench for 3 minutes without getting shived yourself and then bam.
That's my biggest problem with the whole multiplayer thing, at least from my experience people just run around like maniacs, the only way you can really "hide" from enemies is by finding one of your clones and basically hugging them like there is no tomorrow, but even then there is only like a 50/50 chance of you living to tell the tale.
It just ends up being a fight of who has what perks on cooldown and a wonky counter system, seriously there have been a ton of times where I see a guy just balls out running at me and I'm like ok punch! nope he still shives me.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
arc1991 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
And the ending. Oh sweet Lord the ending!
Please tell me the Ending wraps everything up? Without spoiling anything if you will. :p
Well, I can tell you that there will almost certainly be at least 1 more game, as not everything is wrapped up. But if I had to guess now, I'd say AC3 will be the last in the series, and you will be playing exclusively as Desmond, as both Ezio, Altair, and Subject 16's story arcs are done with and Desmond has no more reason to go back in the Animus again.

I hope that was kept as spoiler free as possible :)

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
Steve Butts said:
arc1991 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Please tell me the Ending wraps everything up? Without spoiling anything if you will. :p
It wraps everything up with Ezio and Altair. There are no dangling threads in either story, particularly if you watch the Embers movie that shows what happens to Ezio.

It's not clear at all what's going on with Desmond but since he's my least favorite of the series' three main characters, I'm ambivalent.
That is good to hear that they finally wrap up Ezio in full, it only took them 3 games :p
Though to be honest I would have enjoyed being Altair for another game, I mean he went to go and fight the Mongol horde and there don't go into any detail about it.

Well to be fair on Desmond he really never has been the main character in any of the games but they have still been building up his character to be something great when the game is just about him.

BehattedWanderer said:
Undead Dragon King said:
3.5/5? 7/10?

I saw this as a fair score for a fair review. Let's see if Jim Sterling's commentary on the "hate out of 10" will come out here.
I don't think so, the series has a pretty consistent fanbase, one that recognizes that there have been problems with each game, and very few people saying any of them were perfect. After the beating the first game took, and the recovery with 2 and brotherhood, it's not too hard to imagine a misstep.
Yes I'd definitly agree with this, each game has the trend of each game having a flaw while the sequal fixes it. Oh God the repetition of AC 1.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
well if anything else it had at least the best trailer of the year^^

i'm a huge fan of the series but i'm still reluctant to play
first because it kinda is the same gameplay as in the last 3 games even if it is pumped up even more
and second i'm kinda full with open world now... i may have overdone it
the last few months the only thing i was playing was ACB, Oblivion, Xenoblade and Skyrim
all open world with so many stuff to discover that i just can't anymore
i love open world and i love choice and discovering more than anything else but i'm full now
i just want to lay back and let a story unfold itself for a change

so i may have to skip ACR for some time to have my lust for exploration renewed for when FFXIII-2 comes out

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
I think my favorite parts so far are the Desmond sequences, where you travel through the raw data animus learning his story.
It was fantastic how the general shape of the level synched with his narration, hinting at the location.
Examples:

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I kinda feel like Assassin't Creed sort of lost it's way at 2.

It improved in every aspect that you could hope for, except the Assassination part. In the first game, sneaking around was fun. Navigating the buildings to get to your next contract (the guarded castle in Acre that they showed in the gameplay demos all those years ago is still my favorite Assassin's Creed mission), walking through crowds, stalking your prey.

Once two introduced the prostitutes (Which, you know, was still fucking awesome), it got to be a little to easy.

It wasn't really about assassinations as more as it was about a secret orders battling it out. This new tower defense mode really brought it out. Are they really kicking for ideas so much that they need to throw that in? How good of assassin's are you that all of these templars know exactly where to attack, and you have to put up fucking war turrets to defend yourself.

I like the game series, but I just hope that whatever they do next, they bring back the old cloak and dagger feel to the game that it really needs.

Oh and Ubisoft, for the love of God throw it in Feudal Japan. So much opportunity for gadgets, targets, fucking ninjas.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Rednog said:
I was about to say how can you sit on a bench for 3 minutes without getting shived yourself and then bam.
That's my biggest problem with the whole multiplayer thing, at least from my experience people just run around like maniacs, the only way you can really "hide" from enemies is by finding one of your clones and basically hugging them like there is no tomorrow, but even then there is only like a 50/50 chance of you living to tell the tale.
It just ends up being a fight of who has what perks on cooldown and a wonky counter system, seriously there have been a ton of times where I see a guy just balls out running at me and I'm like ok punch! nope he still shives me.
Yeah, I agree. The game would have done best by being a simple experience, but the perks completely convoluted the gameplay, making it much more complex and annoying than it needs to be.

Also the fact that once one person is on the roofs, everyone is on the roofs.

I'm with the reviewer. The only way I can have fun in the game is by completely ignoring the scoreboard and taking my time to kill my target without running or using any weird perks.

])rStrangelove

Oct 25, 2011
gigastar said:
Ok, ill get my parents to get me this for christmas, at least it means i wont get something i dont want, which is often the case.
Oh cmon, whats wrong with another pair of socks? ;)

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
I dont know i never really minded Desmond`s part in the previous games. It lacks awesomness but it does sort of work as a nice story medium.

p.p: Ohoho he got owned at the end!

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Vamast said:
im turkish
Ok? Your point is?

OT: I don't think I'll buy this one for a while, I'm just tired of AC right now, it's essentially the same thing over and over. Maybe when the price goes down..

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Steve Butts said:
arc1991 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
It wraps everything up with Ezio and Altair. There are no dangling threads in either story, particularly if you watch the Embers movie that shows what happens to Ezio.

It's not clear at all what's going on with Desmond but since he's my least favorite of the series' three main characters, I'm ambivalent.
Nobody likes Desmond...

Good, me neither.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Frost27 said:
Undead Dragon King said:
3.5/5? 7/10?

I saw this as a fair score for a fair review. Let's see if Jim Sterling's commentary on the "hate out of 10" will come out here.
I'm only concerned with numerical review scores if the same person reviewed he three previous titles and based he numberd score off of a comparative viewpoint stacked against the rest. Judging a sequel on its own merits often leads to undeserved low scores.
Well, I wasn't reviewing games here when II came out, but I did do the review of Brotherhood, which I thought was a substantially better game. The problem is that Assassin's Creed didn't need another mini-game to distract you from what really sets the series apart from nearly everything else on the market. Despite that, Ubisoft keeps adding new features that don't enhance the core experience.

I'm not sure I agree entirely about reviewing sequels purely on their own merits. The industry puts a tremendous emphasis on sequels and gamers are asked to buy multiple versions of what is essentially the same game each year just to find out how the story ends or to keep up with the online fanbase. When you've already dropped $60 on each of two AC games, what should your expectations be for a third game at that same price? Ubi tried to make it feel new by loading it with new features, but my point is that all the new stuff gets in the way of what the game ought to be doing. For my point of view, it's entirely appropriate to criticize the game for that.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
great review, picked up on the same points I had questioned but 3.5 stars? 3.5! Saint's Row The Third got 4.5 and that's a right mess!

Abedeus said:
Nobody likes Desmond...

Good, me neither.
I like Desmond, he's just been over shadowed by two better characters

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Didn't expect that score, but i guess they did several things not that well. Still, I'll save my final opinion for when i actually get to play it. So until then, I'll just stfu.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Time out lemme get my Weap's... IN SLOW-MO
I am the first X-man
That jokes ahead of our time
But you still gonna die
Who the hell is that guy?
The second X-man.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
I worry that the weapons they're introducing will compromise the stealth aspect of the game.

Still gonna get it though.

I actually liked the Desmond sequences in the previous games.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I'm a huge fan of the whole series and am about halfway through Revelations. And...I'm disappointed.

Make no mistake, I love Ezio as a character. But I was worried it was a mistake to bring him back for a third game, and it looks like I was right. It's kind of cool that you get to play an older, established wise mentor-type when almost every other video game has you playing an angry young man. But it's harder to swallow a 50-year-old Ezio still jumping around rooftops like he was still 20. I don't really get his motivations for involving himself in the local situation in Constantinople. The Sultan is supposedly supportive of the Assassins but I still find myself killing his guards regularly. The local Assassins, who other than Yusuf have zero personality, immediately give Ezio authority over their whole organization without any hesitation or resentment. Why wouldn't he let the local guys continue to run things, maybe just helping out here and there, while concentrating on finding Altair's lore as was his stated intention?

I've only played one Altair memory so far. It was pretty good. Hopefully it makes up for the pointless feeling I get about Ezio's story in this game.

I think Steve's review was fair. The core gameplay I love is still there, but they can't seem to stop adding more and more busy work minigames. Because it's starting to feel like a chore.