Assassin's Creed 2.85

Mulberry

Aug 25, 2011
If I was a pedantic tosser I'd mention that Les Misérables was written by Victor Hugo, not Alexandre Dumas. But I'm not, so I shan't.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
'It'd probably be more than a little awkward for him to relive the memories of his grandad first boning his grandma.'

The mental image was too strong...

I wanted to see 1900 in Russia, I didn't read the entire comic, but if that was one of Desmond's ancestors, man it would be good to see his story.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I always thought the French Revolution was a good backdrop, but I don't know if it would feel so different to AC 2. Most of the combat at the time was done with swords and (at most) muskets.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
It's a bit obscure for a lot of people, but I'd love to see one set around any of the several major events in Byzantine history. The fall of Constantinople in 1453 has potential, of course, or the time around the battle of Manzikert, the empire's biggest defeat and coming right in the middle of piles and piles of court intrigue and murders left and right. Mucking about with Emperors in the richest city in the mediaeval Western world has a lot of potential.

Sadly the time period is so little known by non-historians that it'd risk being a huge bomb.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I hadn't thought of the 1920s, but that would be pretty awesome. But why not open it up to all of 1920s America? You can do Hollywood, gangland assassinations in Prohibition-era Chicago, and finally face down Edison in Menlo Park.

I know both The Saboteur and Velvet Assassin tried and failed at being the definitive WWII stealth game, but I'm so tired of WWII. I'd argue World War I was more of a historical shift than WWII, if only because there wouldn't have been a WWII without the Great War and the Treaty of Versailles. I'd like to see Desmond with a female, Mata Hari-esque ancestor in World War I.

rollerfox88 said:
Mulberry said:
If I was a pedantic tosser I'd mention that Les Misérables was written by Victor Hugo, not Alexandre Dumas. But I'm not, so I shan't.
I think he was saying Dumas was his favourite author, and that he also enjoyed Les Miserables, but I suppose thats what we get for using English, rather than any of the less ambiguous languages.
I assumed that as well, but neither of those really cover the French Revolution. The Count of Monte Cristo and Les Miserables take place after the French Revolution, while the Three Musketeer stories take place over a century before it. Scaramouche and the Scarlet Pimpernel (both by Rafael Sabatini) would be more appropriate inspirations.

But I'm still on board for a French Revolution AC game, with the Reign of Terror representing Assassin ideals going too far, maybe justifying the need for an "enlightened" Templar (ie, Napoleon) to restore order.

Rhys95

May 16, 2011
I like the thought of the French revolution, but I personally think Imperial Britain during the late 1800's/ early 1900's. However people DO want the inevitable Desmond game and a lot of fans may have gone off the series during all the dallying around with Ezio.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
rollerfox88 said:
but what about the ancient Far East? Desmond looks generic enough to have any kind of bloodlines flowing through him....
Depends how far back you go, the way i've seen the story Altair is 'ancestor zero' as he was the first of Desmonds ancestors to join the assassins (iirc), meaning you cant go further back than him.

Though you could have the assassin/templar fight going on before that but with the factions having different names, i doubt the ancient Egyptian baddies were called the templars.

rdaleric

Jan 22, 2009
I would really like to see a game set in 19th century London. Either in the first half, which is the closest that the U.K. has been to revolution in a very long time (The Cato street conspiracy, captain swing riots Peterloo massacre etc), Alternatively it could be set in the 1880s, maybe somehow involving Jack the Ripper?

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
I don't think the climbing will be a problem, something similar to Mirrors Edge would work. Traffic also shouldn't be a big problem, they can set this Abstergo HQ in a smaller town so the motor traffic is limited, and you can run around the town without needing cars. The problem is the hidden blade combat, if this game is set in a modern setting, then guns would have to be the logical choice, which loses some of the game's charm.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
The problem with France is that to keep it fresh they need a _big_ change now. Which in a way they can't do, yearly releases = gameplay refinment not overhaul. Constantinople was a step in the right direction, so I think we need ancient China, Japan, Egypt(this would be pretty cool if they could make it work), pre-colonial or colonial America, maybe a British Empire one, with a bigger focus on going and seeing the empire rather than staying at home in London and that's about it really. The world isn't different enough. Step into Africa maybe? But how do you find a non-gun dominated time period with the right sort of buildings? And never mind the ancestor problem. On the one hand luckily the Assassins are progressive enough that you can have him be one of the first white-explorers to that region, or sent to help the Assassins already there, but that's got some unfortunate colonial implications. You could have him stow away on a ship as a gutter-rat and be brought up by the chinese assassins. That could work

rdaleric said:
I would really like to see a game set in 19th century London. Either in the first half, which is the closest that the U.K. has been to revolution in a very long time (The Cato street conspiracy, captain swing riots Peterloo massacre etc), Alternatively it could be set in the 1880s, maybe somehow involving Jack the Ripper?
You weren't the guy who suggested that Jack the Ripper should Ezio's ancestor assassin are you? Or maybe I should hope you are, otherwise this is a worryingly popular idea :D As much as I would like to see the Assassins discredited a bit (a lot) maybe Jack would be making the series dangerously aware of what it is.

rdaleric

Jan 22, 2009
BrotherRool said:
You weren't the guy who suggested that Jack the Ripper should Ezio's ancestor assassin are you? Or maybe I should hope you are, otherwise this is a worryingly popular idea :D As much as I would like to see the Assassins discredited a bit (a lot) maybe Jack would be making the series dangerously aware of what it is.
I'm afraid i was not ;). I'd rather see him used as maybe a rival or Templar agent

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
I'd love to see one with desmond as a relative he remembers. it would allow some great character building for the same reason it would be creepy. if his gradfather was desmond's hero, then dealing with the contrast of the ideal image vs. reality would let desmond be less of a plot device and more of an actual, fleshed out character.

tgbennett30

Oct 7, 2010
I *really* like 1800's England or France.

How about 1700's America? Think "Last of the Mohicans," everything from forests to forts to frontier cities...

Frozenfeet2

Apr 3, 2010
they shouldn't have had desmond at all in my opinion but since they have, I think they should lose all the mess with secret in game locations and little puzzles to unlock each one (in Brotherhood). I also think it is perfectly possible to have modern climbable buildings if they set in Desmond's time.

but as for other ancestors...

1900-1917 Russia
Set on the eastern front during the war period and during a time of revolution for Russia. Not to mention the fact that WW1 was caused by an assassination

1890-1950s China
Again many revolutions and massive change from colonies to dictatorship to warlords to communism with a not-your-usual WW2 action (ie no Europeans/Americans)

Mark D. Stroyer

Apr 12, 2011
Curses, I got got beat to the punch. All of the punches, in fact.

But yeah, what if Franz Ferdinand was a Templar, eh?

Difference in architecture would be a perfect excuse to change the climbing mechanics, and difference in technology would be a perfect excuse to change the combat mechanics. Assassin's Creed 3 could be a massive overhaul of the franchise, which would be awesome. I barely got into Brotherhood before feeling tired from it being the same game as the second.

Poster1234

Apr 26, 2011
Personally, I think anything beyond the year 1900 would have far too many guns to still work as a swordfighting game, and I find the french revolution to be somewhat too similar the the Renaissance.

I firmly believe an interesting new take of the series would be to have them set in feudal Japan or China : that would change the flavor, without modifying the core mechanics too much.

Oh, and by the way, Les Miserables took place in 1870, not in 1789. Can't blame Yatzee, however : even here in France, people make that mistake ALL the time.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
What mainly inspires me to suggest this setting, though, is Harold Lloyd's short film Safety Last. Go and watch the building-climbing scenes on Youtube or something and tell me you're not reminded of Ezio Auditore doing his thing up the side of Lord Fuckthedowntroddeningham's castle.
Oh, man, I love this sentence. Not just because "Lord Fuckthedowntroddeningham" is hilarious, but it's also one of the rare times I felt like I was reading the words of an ordinary person geeking out about stuff on the Internet rather than a detached critic pontificating. No offense.

And I love the idea of an installment set in the 1920s. Or rather, I like the idea of a video game set in the 1920s; not so much Assassin's Creed since I haven't bothered getting into that series yet (and probably never will now that I've boycotted Ubisoft). It seems to me like that's a vibrant but woefully untapped period in media in general and video games in particular. Can't you just imagine a Grand Theft Auto game, or a GTA clone at least, set in 1920s Chicago-in-All-but-Name?