Assassin's Creed 2 Set During French Revolution?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Assassin's Creed 2 Set During French Revolution?

Assassin's Creed 2 will be set several hundred years after the events of the original, according to industry analyst Michael Pachter, who mused that it could take place during the French Revolution [http://chnm.gmu.edu/revolution/].

In a recent episode of the Giant Bomb [http://www.gametrailers.com] report, while his statement that the game could possibly take place during the French Revolution was purely speculation.

Revolutionary France isn't exactly a deeply-plumbed game setting, and if Pachter is actually on to something here it could very well prove to be one of the more interesting environments to come up in years. Of course, how well-informed this speculation actually is is anyone's guess, and while Ubisoft did confirm [http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/26/ubisoft-working-hard-on-assassins-creed-2-no-release-date/] that it is "working hard" on the sequel, the company refused to acknowledge how right - or wrong - he may be, saying, "This is only a rumor and we would prefer not to comment on rumors."

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I hope this rumor is true, I would LOVE to play a game set during the French Revolution, especially if it's during the "reign of terror" period. Also, Flintlocks and Rapiers.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Ugh,, I can't say I share your enthusiasm on that one Pedro...
I was already moaning when I saw Fable 2 included rifles. Now imagine that plus the French (which I don't like too much anyways, nothing personal), the clothes they wore at that time and the pansy weapons they had to go with it.

I wish they'd go back in time for the sequel for a change. Set it in feudal Japan or ancient China. Somewhere where the civilisations at war at the time fought melee battles with real swordsmen and swords. Not with tights and cannons and guns...

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
Sennz0r said:
I wish they'd go back in time for the sequel for a change. Set it in feudal Japan or ancient China. Somewhere where the civilisations at war at the time fought real battles with real warriors and real weapons. Not with tights and cannons and guns...
You do realise the Chinese invented gunpowder...

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
HomeAliveIn45 said:
Sennz0r said:
I wish they'd go back in time for the sequel for a change. Set it in feudal Japan or ancient China. Somewhere where the civilisations at war at the time fought real battles with real warriors and real weapons. Not with tights and cannons and guns...
I do, but they used it for fireworks, not for making cannons.

Plus they knew how to fight. Familiar with the book "The Art Of War'?

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
France, eh? This is surprising.

And the Chinese didn't use the gunpowder in guns. They made rockets.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
I revise that statement, they did make firearms. I apologise.

However one thing I will stand firm on: The Chinese - just like the Japanese - didn't fight like wimps. Even with the introduction of firearms large groups (e.g. Samurai) still didn't use them, and stayed true to their traditions. And kicked ass at it too.
Thing is when you learn how to fight with a firearm you get so used to being able to shoot once or twice and kill a guy, that you have no clue what to do when you miss and he comes too close. Resulting in freaking out. Resulting in death.

EDIT: Chinese used guns starting around 1368 AD

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Sennz0r said:
I was already moaning when I saw Fable 2 included rifles. Now imagine that plus the French (which I don't like too much anyways, nothing personal), the clothes they wore at that time and the pansy weapons they had to go with it.

Okay, okay. You take the manly sword and I'll take the poofy pistol. We'll see who wins. IN fact, you take 20 samurai and I'll take 20 riflemen. We'll line up and have a fight.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Hooray, Ubisoft Montreal is in for another game.. Third time's a charm, they say. After Assassin's Creed, Far Cry 2, let's see if they can make a game with pretty graphics and shiny environments without sacrificing gameplay. Oh, a decent plot would be nice as well.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
rossatdi said:
Sennz0r said:

Okay, okay. You take the manly sword and I'll take the poofy pistol. We'll see who wins. IN fact, you take 20 samurai and I'll take 20 riflemen. We'll line up and have a fight.
Are they single-shot rifles with the accuracy of that time? Sure I'll take you on.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Meh, I wish videogames would stick to certain formulas and time periods, I for one am not thrilled about this regardless of how well it can be pulled off. It's a waste of a setting and a time period to put it in a game such as Assassin's Creed. I for one, love stories set in certain places and times I love, such as the French Revolution, however I feel at length it'll be a trivialization of the time period.

I honestly wish a setting such as this wouldbe purely reserved for a different media. Books, movies, music, etc...

Call it this outlandish and illogical, but I can't stand it when something good has the possibility of being thrust towards an audience who doesn't appreciate the time period at hand. To them the game comes first, not the beauty and astounding detail of the culture itself.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
If this announcement was tied to any other company, I'd roll my eyes and resume the snarking off. But Ubisoft proved with the last Assassin's Creed that they know full well what they're doing with these games, and most importantly of all, it really works. As long as they don't fiddle too viciously with the game play, I've no doubt Assassin's Creed: French Revolution will definitely be a game to look forward to.

Now watch the rumor be false and all my expectations dashed. Just so long as it isn't set on a deep space ship besieged by demon alien hybrids, and only YOU have the Space Marine training necessary to stop...

No.

theklng

May 1, 2008
Sennz0r said:
HomeAliveIn45 said:
Sennz0r said:
I do, but they used it for fireworks, not for making cannons.

Plus they knew how to fight. Familiar with the book "The Art Of War'?
art of war is a state of mind more than anything else.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Arsen said:
Meh, I wish videogames would stick to certain formulas and time periods, I for one am not thrilled about this regardless of how well it can be pulled off. It's a waste of a setting and a time period to put it in a game such as Assassin's Creed. I for one, love stories set in certain places and times I love, such as the French Revolution, however I feel at length it'll be a trivialization of the time period.

I honestly wish a setting such as this wouldbe purely reserved for a different media. Books, movies, music, etc...

Call it this outlandish and illogical, but I can't stand it when something good has the possibility of being thrust towards an audience who doesn't appreciate the time period at hand. To them the game comes first, not the beauty and astounding detail of the culture itself.
There is always the possibility that this one will do it right? I appreciate the pearls to swine argument but honestly, they've got to keep trying and learning from their mistakes. Setting a video game in a new and interesting period means people who love the setting will play the game and people who love the game will learn about the setting.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Arsen said:

There is always the possibility that this one will do it right? I appreciate the pearls to swine argument but honestly, they've got to keep trying and learning from their mistakes. Setting a video game in a new and interesting period means people who love the setting will play the game and people who love the game will learn about the setting.
Well I know about the setting, and I like the game, but I still can't get the picture of overly decorative castles, gardens, tights and silly piano music out of my head.
I'm sure you'll start out somewhere in the slums or something between the beggars and whores but to my annoyance they will be French as well (again, nothing personal, most of them are just too damn arrogant to speak a couple words English when you need to find your way in EFFIN PARIS).

hellthins

Feb 18, 2008
Please oh please oh please be set somewhere in Europe. We have enough ninjas. We have enough poorly done ninjas. We have enough people who have no idea what ninjas are so they make them awesome fighters. Give us the continuation of the tradition of European assassins.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
Arsen said:

Though I may or may not have expressed this properly, I love history. I equally love the aspect that the average human being or American doesn't delight in it. It feels special to me. Now here they are taking something I love to read about, love to understand the time period of...and they are making "a game" of it.

In other words: Damnit, they are taking something I like that isn't too popular and are just giving it to those on a certain level who can't get into it any other way.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Sennz0r said:
Are they single-shot rifles with the accuracy of that time? Sure I'll take you on.
Okay, okay. Lets adjust for training and cost of equipment. Where do you get off calling early modern European warfare unmanly? It's not like knights and samurai were particularly 'manly' in that they basically just rode around killing poorly armoured peasants. And if anyone starts any bullshit about "samurai don't ride horses" I'll kneecap them.

Cost of one samurai: a life time of training, discipline and very expensive weapons.
Cost of one musketeer: 3 bob and a few weekends practising at the range.

In fact, warfare isn't manly, its horrible, bloody and always ends in death. And I'm joining the army sometime soon!

Anyway, wasn't this thread about the setting? I think revolutionary France would be a pretty awesome one.