Assassin's Creed 2 Set During French Revolution?

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Yes, it could take place during the French Revolution. People shouldn't interpret that statement as they do, they're wrong.

It's not probable, only possible.

John Tacos

Nov 25, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Corday
If its true, then I want to be this guy. French Revolution + Assassins = Short Stabbings

Mar 26, 2008
I think the French Revolution setting would be a breath of fresh air. I'd love to scale to the top of Notre Dame or Chartres Cathedral and gaze down at the towns below. Night assassinations would also be a cool addition and would go some way toward nullifying the effect of the use of ballistic weapons; that and the slow reload time.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Kinda removes the whole point of the Japanese (I believe) message on the wall at the end of Assassin's Creed if it is set during this period.

But sounds intresting and I'd never have guessed it. Also according to Inside Xbox's SentUAMessage section Ubisoft did cofirm it was likely to be set in 18th century France.

jamesc

Jul 30, 2008
Mariena said:
Hooray, Ubisoft Montreal is in for another game.. Third time's a charm, they say. After Assassin's Creed, Far Cry 2, let's see if they can make a game with pretty graphics and shiny environments without sacrificing gameplay. Oh, a decent plot would be nice as well.
Wow... nerd rage is built up so much now... I have to fight so hard to keep myself from getting in a huge argument about how good assassins creed was

Highlandheadbanger

Jan 8, 2009
Does no one read Game Informer? They already have Renaissance Venice, Italy as the established setting with a young Venetian named Ezio as the main character.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Highlandheadbanger said:
Does no one read Game Informer? They already have Renaissance Venice, Italy as the established setting with a young Venetian named Ezio as the main character.
Look at the date of the original post.

rockchild17

Jan 28, 2008
dammit highlandheadbanger, I was just about to say exactly that.

I don't care if they don't change assasin's creed so much. the first was one level of a great original game over and over again. all they need to do is add more content, then they're golden.

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
Luno said:
don't want to drop any spoilers but considering the ending of assassins creed i was definitely thinking the sequel would be set in feudal japan or something. ninjas and samurais wahey!
that would be sweet.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Highlandheadbanger said:
Alas back in November we were using our time machines to cheat on sporting events, rather than grabbing Game Informer early, and we can't go back now, or the universe would collapse.

Highlandheadbanger

Jan 8, 2009
bernthalbob616 said:
Highlandheadbanger said:
Look at the date of the original post.
nilcypher said:
Highlandheadbanger said:
Alas back in November we were using our time machines to cheat on sporting events, rather than grabbing Game Informer early, and we can't go back now, or the universe would collapse.
Right, my bad...

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
From what I have read it takes place in Venice during the Renaissance which took place a few hundred years before the American and French Revolution but did usher in the enlightenment era of thinking which helped inspire both revolutions.

See this for why I think this:
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/143/14302493/vids_1.html

TheBananaKing

Apr 24, 2009
Is it actually in France? I thought it was in Venice...ah well if it's in the french revolution it'd be good that a french company are making a game about killing french people...

ManiacRaccoon

Aug 20, 2008
rossatdi said:
Okay, okay. You take the manly sword and I'll take the poofy pistol. We'll see who wins. IN fact, you take 20 samurai and I'll take 20 riflemen. We'll line up and have a fight.
One guy will miss, and while the gunman reload, the samurai will tear them to ribbons. That's why ninjas used them as sniping weapons (that and the fact that if you hit the guy, you didn't have the 20 armed guards getting all mad at you, because they don't know where you are).

And yes, it's taking place during the Italian Renaissance.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Actually, in another interview (I don't know exactly where to find it, but just google Assassin's Creed 2 and you should find it) one of the devs working on the game reveals that it is set in Italy during the Renaissance. And... Actually, if you have a subscription to Game Informer magazine, then you would also learn when and where Assassin's Creed 2 is set. Which again is, the Italian Renaissance.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Sennz0r said:
Ugh,, I can't say I share your enthusiasm on that one Pedro...
I was already moaning when I saw Fable 2 included rifles. Now imagine that plus the French (which I don't like too much anyways, nothing personal), the clothes they wore at that time and the pansy weapons they had to go with it.

I wish they'd go back in time for the sequel for a change. Set it in feudal Japan or ancient China. Somewhere where the civilisations at war at the time fought melee battles with real swordsmen and swords. Not with tights and cannons and guns...
It's true that a man armed with a gun can easily kill a man armed only with a sword. But a man with only a sword can easily kill an unarmed man. Acting as if people who carry swords are tough and people who carry guns are weak is stupid. The only people who have a right to complain about the unfairness of bringing a weapon are the ones who fight with their bare hands.

Remember: The Ronin throughout Fuedal Japan's history would slaughter UNARMED peasants to test the sharpness of their sword. So I quite frankly view that statement as silly. One could just as easily say winning a fight with a Gun takes skill, whereas winning one with a TANK does not.