Assassin's Creed 2 Starts Teasing

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Assassin's Creed 2 Starts Teasing

Ubisoft, masters of the slow reveal they are, have launched the teaser site for Assassin's Creed 2, which should enlighten and confound watchful observers in equal amounts.

Assassin's Creed 2 has just gotten the full teaser site [http://assassinscreed.us.ubi.com/assassins-creed-2/teaser/] treatment chock-full of cryptic hints and informational dead ends. Upon visiting the site (and waiting through the long load time), you'll be treated to a brief teaser trailer of sorts, which shows some Leonardo da Vinci-esque sketches of a man with a mechanized blade attached to his wrist, which looks an awful lot like the weapon hero Altair wielded in the first game.

Altair, who did his face stabbing during the Crusades, lived some centuries before Da Vinci. Which means that Assassin's Creed 2 probably takes place long after Altair's death and more than likely is set during or around the Renaissance. Venice was previously the subject of rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89713-Assassins-Creed-2-Venice-Bound] regarding the game's setting - the teaser seems to confirm that the game will indeed take place in Italy, at least.

The site's title is ANIMUS and the Animus logo from the first game appear frequently throughout the site. On the "Animus" page proper, a number of unfilled sections are titled as "M.FRAG"s, which most likely stands for memory fragment. In the first game, the modern day protagonist experienced his ancestor Altair's past through this Animus machine that pieced together genetic memory fragments, or some sort of nonsense like that. Judging by the ubiquity of references to the Animus, we can guess that the game'll take the same sci-fi future-historical approach to its story.

That at least is mostly clear from the teaser. As for everything else, we're mostly in the dark. The trailer reveals a glimpse of a hang-glider of sorts, perhaps suggesting that we'll be taking to the skies to perform some air assassinations?

Furthermore, once the trailer ends, the site displays an enigmatic logo. Dig around and, among a bunch of dead ends, you'll be forwarded to a PDF of that logo, along with instructions to print it out and then hold it up to a webcam while doing a silly dance, and then you can unlock some Jade Raymond wallpapers.

Okay, those last two parts aren't true. But everything else is. Lacking a printer and webcam, I didn't get a chance to toy around with this, but following the instructions apparently [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15370555&postcount=23] reveals a 3D model of an arm with a wristblade. That doesn't really answer anything, but I'm sure there are some more nuggets of info hidden around the site that might be more visible to people with more vivid memories of the first game than I. Can you guys find anything?

Jabbawocky

Sep 3, 2008
I'm on the fence when it comes to this game, the assassinations were fun but too much time was spent doing medial tasks.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Its a teaser in the same way me telling you that Chuck is on tonight on NBC. Sure you know that it is there but that's not really all the enlightening.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I liked the first game. Didn't love it. Combat was terrible, there was too much faffing around with side quests and the story was irrataiting at best and infuriating at worst.

Yeah, I'm not picking this up.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
I liked the first game. Didn't love it. Combat was terrible, there was too much faffing around with side quests and the story was irrataiting at best and infuriating at worst.

Was I the only one that liked the combat?

Totally picking this up.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
SomeBritishDude said:

Totally picking this up.
I spent most of my time with this game picking fights with as many guards as I could and trying to get counter-kills from every single attack. I loved the combat.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Brotherofwill said:
SomeBritishDude said:

Totally picking this up.
I spent most of my time with this game picking fights with as many guards as I could and trying to get counter-kills from every single attack. I loved the combat.
Exactly! I tried to engage as many guards as I could in huge and epic chases across roof-tops while using only my arm-knife to selectively counter kill everyone. The sword was a little easy to use, but the knife made it challenging and really rewarding to pull off some stylish kills.

Nova Tendril

Apr 1, 2009
Brotherofwill said:
SomeBritishDude said:

Totally picking this up.
The combat was okay most of the time. What I hate is that the end of the game mainly consists of nothing but fighting. It gets very repetitive and the flaws of the combat become very obvious.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
Keane Ng said:
Brotherofwill said:
SomeBritishDude said:

Totally picking this up.
Exactly! I tried to engage as many guards as I could in huge and epic chases across roof-tops while using only my arm-knife to selectively counter kill everyone. The sword was a little easy to use, but the knife made it challenging and really rewarding to pull off some stylish kills.
Haha, yes, finally someone who played AC like me!

Zephyr892

Mar 15, 2009
While I will admit AC1 was incredibly repetitive... It was still beautiful and a wonderful experience of a game. People that don't enjoy the game based on the story (IN MOST CASES) Don't realize that the story is based on nearly ever single conspiracy theory and myth that exists. From Knights Templar to 2012...

I will without question pick up AC2 just based on the number of mysteries the first one left.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Clearly, Leonardo Da Vinci was one of the assasins! ADD Artists with poofy trousers are COMING FOR YOU.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Brotherofwill said:
SomeBritishDude said:

Totally picking this up.
Ha! Me too! So what's your highest body count. I led about 15 guards to a spot where guards re-spawn and left a good 112 bodies on the ground by the time I left.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
So... Will you still be able to push people off cliffs without retribution?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Ooh, mysterious!

That trailer is probably the most intriguing teaser I've seen in years. I hope that Ubisoft have learnt their lessons from the first game though.

TKgasmic

Nov 26, 2008
Ok in Assassins Creed one when you look at the email they are dated September 2012. Also when you get eagle vision for the main guy their is a bar code and it says 130000 also 2012 and their is just 12212012 written somewhere on the floor. Some of you may know that Dec. 21, 2012 is supposedly the end of the world or the New Begining...whatever.
I'm thinking that the next game will be circulating around the end of the world. That's just my opinion. I'm also pretty sure that you're not going to playing as Altair in the next game which is a bummer.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
tkddavid3 said:
I'm thinking that the next game will be circulating around the end of the world.
I think they're gunning for a trilogy, and the third game should come out in 2012. I doubt they'll pull it off if that's what they're planning - the gaming industry isn't really renowed for their ability to stick to deadlines.

TKgasmic

Nov 26, 2008
The Random One said:
tkddavid3 said:
I'm thinking that the next game will be circulating around the end of the world.
I think they're gunning for a trilogy, and the third game should come out in 2012. I doubt they'll pull it off if that's what they're planning - the gaming industry isn't really renowed for their ability to stick to deadlines.
Ha, the third game will probably come out in 2013 when we are fine and well.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I'm really looking forward to Assassins Creed 2, I'm one of those crazy people that liked the first one a lot. I just really hope they made the stealth, you know, necessary and stealthy. Oh, and the combat challenging.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
I'm so glad someone is actually getting paid to build cryptic teaser sites for Ubisoft.

And that someone else may be getting paid to decode them...lol.

I'll sit tight until some REAL info comes out. Because Ubisoft could still change everything.