Assassin's Creed 2 to be held back to build anticipation

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
NO!!!!!!!!!!!

How could they do this to us?

That's it, my cat and I have a job to do...

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/e/e2/Catgun.gif

Baonec

Aug 20, 2008
galletea said:
How rude. I think I may wait a while before I buy it. Just to make them 'anticipate' my cash.
I'm with you I may wait untill it's in a sale or at least half it's RRP I did with the first and was glad I would have hated to pay £44.99 for that game instead of the £7.99 I payed.

PsykoDragon

Aug 19, 2008
For me I see the reason why the first PoP sold better than the later 2 is because:

1) PoP had some ground-breaking graphics for its time.
2) It was the first PoP in a long time, & looked very promising with bright ideas & better 3d implementation.
3) News on the development of the next 2 PoP's showed that the developers were focusing alot on the combat aspect, whereas I believe people would've been happier with more puzzles, more challenging puzzles.
I think they thought of my 2nd point & thought that the longer they waited to release a new sequel, the better the sales. That's a correlation, but it's not proof that this method works. I agree that people will be driven away for that. Now, if they said they're delaying it so that FOR ONCE they can take more time on polishing it up & finishing it, THAT would actually make me want to play it more. If they were lying, then their loss.

Vincent9mm

May 11, 2008
This must be met with extreme booing.

Boo!

Seriously though, if its a well connected piece of a "bigger picture" it should be released in a timely manner. If anything there will be lost interest in a game like Assassins Creed considering how plot heavy the game is and how much it demands its audience to pay attention. Its not just another shoot/stab em up, the reason its a trilogy is the plot... I hope.

Kragey

Nov 30, 2008
KarmicToast said:
I understand the strategy...but why is that idiot so dumb as to tell us that outloud?
If he said it was held back so they could "make it better" and it ended up sucking majorly, we'd ream him twice as much. Although saying you just want to make people crave it more is a surefire way to tweeg them off, yeah.

Mean Mother Rucker

Oct 27, 2008
For a great example, Starcraft 2, they've waited so long with that one that most don't care as much as they used too. Not anywhere close.
If a company wants anticipation, they write up a date for release that's not too far in the future, miss it, then let it out of it's cage about half a month later.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
There have been quite a few games I ended up passing on due to the building of anticipation, but then failing to release the game within my attention time frame so to speak.
You can delay good games for several reasons (fiscal ones mainly), but just to build anticipation isn't one that rates high in my book.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
This doesn't really annoy me so much, because I didn't fall head over heels for the first. Sure I want to see what happens and will probably buy it but I can wait. There are plenty of good games between now and then.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
So Ubisoft is using the "Cartman" approach to marketing. "This game is super awesome, but you can't have it!" The theory is that by not letting the customer have it, they want it more.

Not cool, Ubisoft. Not cool.

Rankao

Mar 10, 2008
Tips on Building anticipation.

1) Don't announce the game release date until at least 60% complete.
1a) QC Testers feel gameplay (combat/style) good flow and stays fun.
2) Give Appropriate deadlines. (
2a) Game Test the F--K out levels. Note each complaint from the testers on flow (4-8 weeks)
2b) Make adjustments, revamp entire levels if you have to (6-10 weeks)
3) Leak unofficial data out. (After Step 1a is complete but before step 2 is complete)
3a) leak information (game play videos, leak demos to torrents, and so forth) out to unofficial channels. Then after the official channels have noticed it. Then officially release information.
3a-i) Pay attention to the response to the comments of the various torrent networks/official channels and forums on leaked information. Although these won't be the people who will buy the game you will be able to get a strong sample from the population who will pay for you game. IF there is strong criticism of data then its a good idea change release date and start back at step 1.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
KissofKetchup said:
At least they're not rushing it. That's about the only positive here...
you don't understand, the game would be finished, but they wouldn't release because they think it builds the desire to purchase it.