Assassin's Creed Creator Says Nobody Cares About Discs Anymore

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Assassin's Creed Creator Says Nobody Cares About Discs Anymore

Patrice Desilets says blockbuster videogames will be profitable again once gamers accept that the future is "digital all the way."

A powerful stink was raised by gamers when Microsoft revealed its vision for the future at its E3 press event, with a sort-of-always-on Xbox One that relied heavily on the cloud for its functionality. The furor was enough to force Microsoft to step back from that vision - which has of course inspired a backlash of its own from people who believed that Microsoft was set to lead us into a great and glorious future.

Speaking at the Gamelab conference in Barcelona, Desilets, formerly of Ubisoft and THQ (and then Ubisoft again) said the famously-struggling [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123150-Square-Enix-Faces-10-Billion-Yen-Loss-in-Restructuring-Efforts] triple-A development industry can and will be profitable in a digital future - and that fighting that future, as so many gamers did with the Xbox One, is essentially a waste of time.

"Yeah, games come on disc, and I get it guys, you were really pissed off," he said. "But, deep down, nobody cares about not having CDs any more. The future is digital, and there's nothing you can do about it."

But the industry also needs to expand its scope beyond the usual fare, he said, noting that he's been to four E3 events and they've been dominated by the same things every time. "We all like space marines and shooters, but come on, we need to talk about something else," he continued. "Make games with a cultural point of view. We did a game, somehow, about the Muslim faith. We did a game about the Italian renaissance. [Ubisoft] did a game about the American Revolution. Having a cultural point of view will become more and more important. There is something about where I come from in the game I was making [1666: Amsterdam]. I think that will change the entire industry."

Desilets was working on 1666: Amsterdam for THQ when the company went under, and both he and the game ended up in Ubisoft's hands as a result. He was lawsuit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123826-Ubisoft-Fires-Assassins-Creed-Creator] earlier this month seeking to have the rights to the game returned to him.

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-27-desilets-eventually-aaa-games-will-make-money-again]

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
Hi there dick, has your mouth recently been introduced to a size 10-ish foot? It has? Well, that explains a lot. As for the cultural impact of things, yes, that would be more relevant and would certainly improve several games. However using pre-existing franchises to do so isn't always the best way. I'm native, I've read native beliefs. Yes, Connor was a bit overly stoic by, well, most peoples ideals, but his people value stoicism to the highest degree. Was the scene where he had to fight that one rather close dude a bit underwhelming? Most certainly. Is Connor meant to be an Assassin? No. He should have had his own game without the IP of Faffing About Creed looming over with a big neon sign saying "we tried to tie this shit in together somehow" and don't get me started on that desecration you guys called an ending to his arc.

Also, is it just me or do a lot of "higher up" people keep saying a lot of really stupid things lately or is it just my imagination?

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Until today, he had my sympathies for what Ubisoft did. Now he can just fuck off together with Orth and his ilk. I like the discs, I like to not be tied to the whims of my ISP, . I also like the nice look of my shelf that clearly displays my gaming history, secure in the knowledge that the games will still be there if the server that hosts the digital copies dies one day.

If this is what he thinks the consumers want, I'll be giving 1666 a pass. There's no telling how much stupid he might pack into it.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
As a PC Gamer, I really don't care about discs.

Notably, as a PC Gamer, I really don't care about Ubisoft either considering how much they don't care about me.

It's a bit of mutual apathy. It's hard to appeal to the population that doesn't mind digital while simultaneously alienating them.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Digital is the future. But that future isn't here yet. Hence why we call it the future and not the fucking present. Stop trying to force it.

But there will always be people who prefe to actually have a disc in hand. The numbers may change as time goes on but they will never go away.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
You're right, nobody cares about physical media anymore, we just reacted with outrage and open hostility to the Xbox One because we were bored and Drop Dead Diva's fifth season hadn't aired yet.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I care about discs. The day gaming goes fully digital is probably going to be the day that I get a new hobby, or start searching for a new girlfriend.

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
So all that outrage at E3 over not being able to purchase physical copies of games anymore was just for our health?

Believe it or not game industry, digital can be more harmful to us as customers. Games may contain corrupted data, servers may crash and content may be lost, a console can fail and we'd lose all your data in the process. Going all digital means we have the same kinds of risks that PC gamers have to deal with. The reason for physical disks is so that we can have a back up in the even something happens

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I totally agree that all-digital is inevitable down the line, but why is everyone pushing it in the industry such a dick about it?

The whole xbone digital fiasco revealed a really good statement: Digital is a cool thing and we're headed that way, but trying to force it to be now is a really stupid thing. IMO the people whining (and it is, the complaints aren't calm and barely rational) are just angry that they may not be active in the industry when it happens. All digital is a good 50-100 years down the road. To arrive at it we need Star Trek levels of infrastructure across the globe. We can buy products off Amazon from space but it takes me several minutes to load my friggin' email on broadband in the nation's capital.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
I'm nobody
who are you?
Are you nobody to?
Hey Nobody! Fancy seeing you here!
It's me, Nobody.

OT: Guess I can add him to the box of people I'm not going to listen to in the future.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Absolutionis said:
Notably, as a PC Gamer, I really don't care about Ubisoft either considering how much they don't care about me.
He doesn't work for Ubisoft. In fact they fired him.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Well fuck you. Games can go all digital the day games go drm-free. No joke, I'll pay a premium for drm-free games but until then I'm not investing a bunch of money in digital service that could go under in 10 years

Edit: and I certainly couldn't give less of a fuck about how profitable the triple AAA industry is. Go out of business for all I care, there will always be marked the for video games and someone will figure out how to make it profitable again

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I guess I'm a Nobody...great now help me find my Heartless so then I can be whole again.
I didn't know I was a Nobody though...mainly because there is no 'X' in my name. XD
Unless I'm just one of these ones:

OT: Yeah, that's not true at all good sir. I loved having the physical copies of the discs more than a digital copy.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
I love discs.

Sure, I also love Steam, but I also back up my GOG purchases on disc... and I to only buy cds... and I'll even get a collectors box when I can find it. I like pretty stuff. Discs usually come in pretty stuff (BioShock: Infinite's reversible cover)

Saulkar

Legacy
Sep 18, 2020
Country
Canuckistan
-Ezio- said:
No you don't. You only need to look deep down into your beautiful heart to realise that you are lying to yourself and hurting not only the industry but more importantly yourself as well.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
While I like my discs on the bookshelf, I'm just baffled how every criticism against console bricking DRM and lack of ownership flew right by them, and now they say the whole X-box One PR disaster was our fault because we can't face the digital future.

Not really the right way to get our hard earned 500 bucks from our wallets guys. For that you need to start to actually listen.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
You can keep telling yourself that if you want. Microsoft kept insisting they couldn't just change their console to be offline, didn't make it any less bullshit.

There are few games I lack a physical copy of, and those are typically ones I bought either A: on steam, or B: when I was too young to buy M rated games at a store. Believe me, I'd re-buy most of those games to get the physical copy.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Digital distribution is nice, but I wouldn't really call it "the future."

Games have almost always been about having something to hold in your hand, to physically possess the thing you paid for. This is pretty much how the industry has been until Steam came around, pretty much.

I don't see why we should go and completely replace physical games. The system isn't broken, so don't "fix" it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Absolutionis said:

It's a bit of mutual apathy. It's hard to appeal to the population that doesn't mind digital while simultaneously alienating them.
Same here, but notice that this statement is by a guy who worked for THQ, then Ubisoft and then got fired, so it's not really from Ubisoft.

It seems that many in the industry want to go all digital, but are afraid of their competition getting a bigger share of retail sales at the same time.

strumbore

Mar 1, 2013
Patrice Desilets said:
"Yeah, games come on disc, and I get it guys, you were really pissed off," he said. "But, deep down, nobody cares about not having CDs any more. The future is digital, and there's nothing you can do about it."
What a sack of ****. This industry is stuffed at the highest levels with nerds who have to get their way, consumer be damned. You disagree, you're loser, a moron, a Luddite. It's not the developers job to appeal, it's the consumer's to submit. I had no idea until this whole Xbone fiasco started early this year how bad it all was.

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
I used to feel sorry for this guy when Ubisoft fired him and stole his game. Now I'm just wondering why they fired him; he fit right in!

jericu

Oct 22, 2008
Yeah, duh, nobody cares about physical stuff anymore. That's why movies, books, comics, and music are all only available digitally now and nobody buys... oh wait, DVD's, Books, Comics, and Music CD's are still around? And they're still profitable? Potentially because the people who make those media have realistic views on how much money they can expect to make from a product and put money into projects accordingly instead of pumping too much money in and then blaming the consumer when 3.5 million sales is "disappointing?"

Huh. How about that.

ScrabbitRabbit

Mar 27, 2012
Give me the money for a better internet connection and we'll talk. Until that point, even a current-gen 8 gig game is pushing it as far as DD goes, for me.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So he will be exclusively releasing his future games on digital platforms right? He won't lose any sales because nobody will care about the lack of physical copies. Right?

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
Absolutionis said:
Twice.

OT: Ok I like this guy a bit. He had a good vision for AC and helped create the best two of the series(the original and two) and he was largely responsible for the Sand of Time trilogy and has been jerked about by Ubisoft but come on man. First off look at Canada, the country you were born in, lived in, went to post secondary in and work in. We do not have the infrastructure for an all digital future. In fact the only two providers of internet in Canada have only recently started to add more than 60 GB packages to their sales. Rogers now has 500 GB a month priced at $225 a month (in a bundle with cable and home phone)(and is not even avilable in the majority of Canada) and Bell's highest package is 300 GB a month at $150 in a package (also not available in the majority of Canada)Links: http://www.rogers.com/web/link/hispeedBrowseFlowDefaultPlans and http://www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Products/Fibe_Internet_175_175

So yeah, in the country he has spent most of his life in we are not ready for an all digital future. My current plan only provides 120GBs a month. Now with game sizing increasing to almost 50GB (or was it 30GB?) I would not be able to download full games and use my internet for other purposes (such as playing the game online). I do acknowledge that one day discs will be a thing of the past but it is not this day. Internet needs to become a lot better and a lot cheaper for that to happen. Not to mention harddrives. The PS4 has a 500 GB hard drive if games are 50GB large than you could only fit ten games on there not including system updates and saves.

Also all digital will not save AAA gaming. It isn't in trouble yet and it won't be if publishers get their heads out of their asses, make good and creative games (besides we are all tired of space marines now) and learn to manage their bloody budgets better and not waste over a hundred million per game.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
The only reason i buy practically all games i own digitally is because steam is so goddamn cheap.
If i can get such a deal for a physical copy i go for that. Basically follow the money for me.

That said, discs are safer and do hold some appeal.
The appeal comes of course from having a nice collection, now while i do not care bout that, others do.

The safer aspect however is much more important. What happens when EA decides the pull the plug on origin. (well, you will lose your games whether digitally or not)
Or when steam goes belly up. In this case you can keep playing your game, provided there is no other draconian drm. If you have your steam games digitally, and they quit, you will probably lose all your games.

strumbore

Mar 1, 2013
TiberiusEsuriens said:
I totally agree that all-digital is inevitable down the line, but why is everyone pushing it in the industry such a dick about it?

The whole xbone digital fiasco revealed a really good statement: Digital is a cool thing and we're headed that way, but trying to force it to be now is a really stupid thing. IMO the people whining (and it is, the complaints aren't calm and barely rational) are just angry that they may not be active in the industry when it happens. All digital is a good 50-100 years down the road. To arrive at it we need Star Trek levels of infrastructure across the globe. We can buy products off Amazon from space but it takes me several minutes to load my friggin' email on broadband in the nation's capital.
lol! Thanks, Mr. Trek Guru! ;)

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
Saulkar said:
-Ezio- said:
No you don't. You only need to look deep down into your beautiful heart to realise that you are lying to yourself and hurting not only the industry but more importantly yourself as well.
not hurting myself at all. I'm a console gamer so digital games are a complete rip off and there's no sign of that changing.

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
In other news, Patrice Desilets can blow me, since you don't "Buy" digital games, you only license them. When I pay for a Thing, I insist that I get that Thing in return. Not merely rights to USE that thing, the Thing itself. When I buy a Disc, it is mine. I can play it, hang it from a string from a car mirror as an ornament, throw it through the air to be caught by friends, injure myself trying to fornicate with the hole in it...

But Digtal Data isn't real. When Mr. Digital decides that it's servers are going down then my Data is worthless, because it was never mine to begin with.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
"But, deep down, nobody cares about not having CDs any more. The future is digital, and there's nothing you can do about it."
Thanks, Patrice! God, I love it when you guys in the development industry tell us what we, the consumer, really want and don't really want. It makes it SO much easier to be a blind consumer whore that lines your pockets with as much profit as we can while getting minimal increases in quality in return! Being a lemming sure is a lot easier than having our own opinions on what we like and don't like!

"Make games with a cultural point of view. We did a game, somehow, about the Muslim faith. We did a game about the Italian renaissance. [Ubisoft] did a game about the American Revolution. Having a cultural point of view will become more and more important."
I'd have no problem with this statement if you didn't completely bastardize and misrepresent the histories you were trying to recreate in those games.

Saulkar

Legacy
Sep 18, 2020
Country
Canuckistan
-Ezio- said:
Saulkar said:
-Ezio- said:
not hurting myself at all. I'm a console gamer so digital games are a complete rip off and there's no sign of that changing.
Oh, come on. The least you could do would be to go along with the joke. ^^;

Apr 28, 2008
Blockbuster videogames will be profitable once developers learn how to budget properly.

But he's right. Digital is the future. That's why the PSPGo was a massive success. Wait...

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I don't care about discs at all.

What I DO care about is owning the software, not just a license to download it.

Also, no, cocklicker, you didn't somehow manage to make a game about the Muslim faith. You made a game about an assassin fighting against the Knights Templar and finding out that the Ancient Aliens guy was right and that all faiths were misinterpretations of it.

That's a game declaring that, in that universe, every faith, not just Islam, is wrong.

I'm pretty sure Muslim players of that game weren't impressed with the accuracy of the Quran's teachings and the lessons the game taught.

What a fucking moron. No wonder he was fired.

Captcha: braaains!

Nope, none here, apparently.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
How fuckin' stupid are these digital clowns? How can AAA be more profitable if they were only digital if a lot of people don't have a fast enough internet connection to download their games? Discs are still more convenient from a technological standpoint to a lot of consumers. And a lot of them just simply like the damn discs. Myself included.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
And people might be just a little more inclined to accept that if they could be certain that games they downloaded belonged to them, and always would.

Yeah, fuck this guy, fuck his attitude, and fuck his hair.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
Digital IS the future, but it's not going to be the magic bullet that suddenly makes AAA games profitable again. The only thing that will make AAA games profitable is when the people working on games lower sales expectations to something even remotely resembling realistic and learn how to properly manage a budget, which will likely require that people stop focusing so much on graphical fidelity, since fancy graphics and the animators and artists needed to obtain is the vortex which is devouring so much of current game budgets.

Until then, cramming incredibly consumer unfriendly business practices down people's throats in the name of some nebulous future that doesn't show any likelihood of actually saving the industry is not acceptable.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I like discs, they don't take 20 hours to download.
Saulkar said:
As an assassin, I imagine he takes his individual right to own games quite seriously.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I prefer digital, because I don't have enough room for stuff as it is, and this would be one more item cluttering up space.

Although I do see that this makes trading games to friends/for cash nigh impossible... although(^2) if we were charged a proper digitally suitable price, I wouldn't care too much about that...

Actually, yeah: hey, you want the future to be here and all digital? How about charging an only-digital suitable price then?

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
The future might be digital.

But we really don't need dicks like you raping the future before it even begins mr. Desilets.

Stick your DRM, your packaged sales and all the other crap you want to put on there to control how we play games right back up your asshole.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Desilets, nobody is denying that the all-digital future WILL happen...but not NOW. Too many people in the industry are trying to force this when it's not the right time. Digital media consumption IS increasing, but the conversion to mostly digital media is going to be a slow one.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Are you a mindreader on a global scale? No? Then please don't try to speak for everyone.

I care about discs because they give me ownership over what I paid for. I give money, I get my game, I do whatever the fuck I want with it. The digital future the XBone would've brought would not offer me the same. I would no longer have full agency over when and how I played my games.

It's the reason why I like GoG so much. I give them money, they let me download my game, I then do whatever the fuck I want with it. No strings attached. No hoops to jump through. As far as I'm concerned, their approach is virtually equivalent to having physical media.

But I doubt you have the same thing in mind.

We did a game, somehow, about the Muslim faith.
Having Islam in your game does not make it about Islam. AC shows only the vaguest of understanding of Crusades-era Muslim faith and culture.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
Seeing as I'm a console gamer I would rather not have to be forced to use digital. especially considering Sony and Microsoft's absurd prices on digital games.

DVS BSTrD said:
I'm nobody
who are you?
Are you nobody to?
Then there's a pair of us, don't tell!
They'd banish us, you know.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Now as far as discs being discs go, he's right I don't care, games could be beamed to me directly from the moon using lasers for all I care, as long as it's the same game.

But that's not the point.

If "digital all the way" means "You don't actually own your games" Then fuck you, and fuck the horse you rode in on. I will not accept a industry where every game is a "service" meaning that I never actually get to own anything.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
I care. In fact, a whole lot of people do. I don't think games as a whole will ever go truly digital, not until all major game devices are so small they fit in a palm of your hand and it's just reasonable to keep all their stuff on a beefy data storage device inside, which is the case with music and MP3-flac-whatever devices.
Now the thing with licenses... When you buy a disk you get an eternal license to play AND the actual copy to use with that license. But if you buy digital you don't actually get the hard copy and so they can just steal it back sometime down the line. Well, it's not that bad on consoles, you technically can keep your installed digital games for eternity, but that's not as reliable and convenient as having a hard copy.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I like discs they compensate for the annoyingly large sized games versus the itty bitty hard drive these things come with. Also you have yet to prove you can handle digital cause everything you've done to this point on consoles is varying levels of garbage.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Well I care... I prefer all my media to be hard copies if at all possible.

dikelley

Mar 10, 2010
Someone else who cares? The millions of us that don't have real broadband access. Oh yes, I looooove waiting two days to play a game I bought while it slithers its way down my blazing 1.5Mbps AT&T connection that rarely performs above .75kbps. Even better the 60% of the population of my home county that relies on satellite or cellular for so-called high-speed connections.

Oh yeah, and here we have again someone else in the industry that's ready to write off the entire military who may not have access to digital for months at a time.

Seriously? All that over the xbone just whooshed over this dick's head?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Indeed we don't care about CDs anymore. That's because we have Bluray discs now. These incredible things mean we don't have to spend hours or possibly days downloading a single game.

How was Assasins Creed about the Muslim faith? Which is called Islam by the way Mr Desilets.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Gizen said:
Digital IS the future, but it's not going to be the magic bullet that suddenly makes AAA games profitable again. The only thing that will make AAA games profitable is when the people working on games lower sales expectations to something even remotely resembling realistic and learn how to properly manage a budget...
I think it would be helpful for everyone to remember that, while gaming is increasingly socially accepted, CoD:MW3 moved 22 million units. Even assuming that's solely in the US, that's still just under 10% of the U.S. population playing one of, if not the, highest selling games of all time. This is still a niche hobby, and everyone needs to remember that.

OT: The future is digital, but that doesn't stop you from being a tool in the present Mr. Desilets. We'll get there when we get there and the DRM/digital sales model has a long way to go before it's going to be widely embraced. Doubly so as increasing numbers of people realize digital largely means they don't own the games they buy. It's a bad business model, and one that is probably going to have some high ranking industry execs standing before the Supreme Court in the not too distant future.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I care. Fuck you. Sure, digital will become more and more important as and when the internet, internet infrastructure and connection speeds increase and service improves. Fuck having to wait 8 hours for a game to download when all I have to do is pop a disk in, install it and jobs' a good'un.

Having said that, some games that require Steam to play (Shogun 2 comes to mind, what a horrible experience that was) MUST be downloaded upon re-installation and the retail disks I pre-ordered are now useless.

Captcha: no-brainer

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
So some spoilt rich prick in America (a country built around greed and selfishness) is trying to tell me what I want is not value for money or a product in my hands for the money spent, but rather I want to make the greedy American corporations even richer.....
Go fuck yourself.

I'm sick of these assholes telling me what I do and don't want (usually involving all the benefits for them and none for us) rather than accepting that the industry is destroying itself out of pure greed. No other industry would treat their customers like these pigs do and I look forward to seeing them going broke, good riddance. Then real companies that know how to make a quality product with a nice profit margin can move in to reap the rewards of AAA's utter stupidity.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
No, I like my discs, it's easier then waiting for my ridiculously slow internet and even cheaper when I get preowned.

Plus looks much better in a shelf.

These digital people really have to stop talking like they know everyone.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Absolutionis said:

This.

It's difficult for me to understand how a guy who worked for a company as console-centric as Ubisoft would have a mindset like this. It's outright baffling.

Brussels

Jun 27, 2013
Maybe if there was an indication that digital sales make up more of video game sales overall than physical, maybe I'd believe them. There's no way Ubisoft games sell more digitally. You can't make a statement like this after the backlash Microsoft got for their policies.

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
I feel like the implication in his statement is that he expects the industry to go completely digital, and maintain its current pricing structure, therein benefiting us in absolutely no way, but passing on the low overhead of digital distribution to the people behind the game... which is a really selfish way to think about it.

I also seem to notice a continuing trend of developers to be like "The industry is screwed, and if it wants to un-screw itself it needs to be doing exactly what we are doing on our games, because we are right. So there."

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
So what he's saying is that publishers will be pocketing the cash saved from digital sales rather than the consumer seeing those savings come back to them?

Pretty much what I expected. We've been told countless times that games could be cheaper for us when they're sold digitally, but we've seen no evidence of this. I'm glad I never trusted the industry in this regard.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I hate the fact that he, and people like him, try to speak for everybody like this. "Hey, this isn't opinion, it's fact!" It's BS. I love discs. There's nothing like having a physical copy of a game. I'm still a bit pissed that people stopped putting thought into making interesting manuals. He's said this kinda stupid thing, as if his opinion is fact, and now people are proving him wrong. So, at least that's something, right?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
He is derping hard on this one. No one is fighting the digital future moron... well, most gamers aren't. They are fighting M$ horrible implementation of it and how it was used as a way to prohibit gamers instead of offering more choices like it does on the PC. Also, you are one of those morons who thinks that the people who pay the money are wrong and the people who take the money are right. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't completely misconstrue the entire issue in reference to the XBox One.

Also, he is off base. The Triple A industry isn't struggling because there are game discs, they are struggling because they invest so much money that it's just wasteful, and they need to sell ridiculous numbers to break even.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
He's coming off as a total douche. There's a message he's trying to deliver but failing miserably.

Yes, discs are on the way out. But that doesn't mean that DRM needs to be on the way in.

I'm fine with requiring internet registration to install a game or something but requiring constant online connection to play is a stupid idea. My ability to play a game should never be dictated by the performance of a third party's service.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
My favourite part is when he said we all like shooters and space marines, then poised assassin's creed as some kind of shining beacon of hope for the industry. The AC series is just boring and samey to me.

You can put it in the Renaissance all you want, but when you make it a hilarious gong show where you're meeting like every fucking famous person from the era, your game feels more like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure than anything with a "cultural point of view".

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
This is just pathetic... some of these guys in the industry obviously spend too much time at the office with access to a giant backbone connection and $3000 worth of brand new hardware to use it with.

Discs still matter because the read speed of a DVD-ROM from 10 years ago still kicks the ever-loving shit out of a home internet connection's throughput. Until every single home in every first-world nation has access to the kind of speeds this douche gets at the office, the future is still pretty far off. If my game installation is 40GB, I'd rather copy if off of 10ish DVDs or a dual-layer blu-ray disc than let it download overnight.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
OlasDAlmighty said:
I like discs, they don't take 20 hours to download.
Saulkar said:
As an assassin, I imagine he takes his individual right to own games quite seriously.
damn right. think about it. the camera, the online check in. how was that not a templar idea?

I'm on to you Adam orth

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
I would like to no longer care. With internet not at it's best yet, though, I do care. Although Xbox's original idea of using game discs to install onto the hard drive was awesome, they wouldn't be able to do so if they made trading games possible. I'd rather be able to trade the games than install them and make the discs useless. If I can keep said disc but stash it away while not having to use it for startup and still be able to trade it in at a later date... Just allow me to check in that I still have the disc monthly (as in have me insert the disc to verify I still own it; also making this completely optional) and I'd be set...

I'd love to do away with game discs. I just don't see the point of it yet.

San Martin

Jun 21, 2013
AC10 said:
My favourite part is when he said we all like shooters and space marines, then poised assassin's creed as some kind of shining beacon of hope for the industry. The AC series is just boring and samey to me.

You can put it in the Renaissance all you want, but when you make it a hilarious gong show where you're meeting like every fucking famous person from the era, your game feels more like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure than anything with a "cultural point of view".
Absolutely agree. I did quite enjoy Assassin's Creed 2, and the setting was nice, but just because you occasionally chat with or run an errand for a Medici, a Vespucci, a Da Vinci or a Maquiavelli doesn't mean the game is a profound cultural experience, and certainly doesn't make it "about" the Italian Renaissance. Morever, in Assassin's Creed 1, beyond the fact that Altair is from a Muslim family, in what way is the Islamic faith an important part of the game?

OT: I kinda get where the guy's coming from. There probably will come a time when physical copies are no longer necessary. However, as other people have pointed out, that time is not today and this is not a change that companies should be trying to force on the consumer.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
Many of these developers are starting to wear their souls on their face. I Like owning a hard copy of my own purchase thank you.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
So here's a weird kind of really stupid thing I did guys. I bought Sonic Generations last Feb off of Xbox live just because well I really wanted it and couldn't find a physical copy of it anywhere except for walmart and for once it was actually cheaper on Xbox live. So I bought it, but later on in march I then found it for 19 bucks at Future Shack(joke) and guess what, I bought it. Stupid yes but hey I like to own physical copies of my games if I can!

Damn, and I liked this guy but boy does he ever sound exactly like the suits at Ubi and EA.

chozo_hybrid

Jund 'Em Out!
Jul 15, 2009
I care, I have a bandwidth limit. I've only just got into the Assassins Creed Games, currently playing the first. I know, I'm late to the game, but I've been playing other things. I just bought the first two for $20 NZ total, on disc for my PC. I do that when I can because that way it doesn't chew through mine and my flat mates internet, people like this seem to live in this world where everyone has unlimited net, or money, one of the two it seems.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
San Martin said:
AC10 said:

Absolutely agree. I did quite enjoy Assassin's Creed 2, and the setting was nice, but just because you occasionally chat with or run an errand for a Medici, a Vespucci, a Da Vinci or a Maquiavelli doesn't mean the game is a profound cultural experience, and certainly doesn't make it "about" the Italian Renaissance. Morever, in Assassin's Creed 1, beyond the fact that Altair is from a Muslim family, in what way is the Islamic faith an important part of the game?

OT: I kinda get where the guy's coming from. There probably will come a time when physical copies are no longer necessary. However, as other people have pointed out, that time is not today and this is not a change that companies should be trying to force on the consumer.
I stopped at part two mainly because they were not challenging enough. I pretty much feel like AC is that friend that won't leave your house but thinks you need his company.

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
How can developers say things like this?, do they truly believe all the crap they say?, are they so absorbed in their own ideals that they cannot see beyond them?

This is like parents who want to give kids the life they couldn't have, even if the kids don't want that shit, even if the parent is making his own wishes coming true in a way, they are(most likely) fucking up the kid in the process

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Well he's plain wrong and fuck him.

I care about discs, because discs are a sign that a game can be reliably resold, given away, played offline, and accessed at any time. Of course this isn't always the case, but generally that's what it means to have a game on a disc. They're also just nice to have and look at. It's no secret that we've been buying licenses and not actual games for years by now, but that doesn't mean we have to hand our rights over on a silver platter because it's inevitable. There will be someone supplying disc-based games as long as there are a large market for them, so all we need to do is keep disc-based games profitable by buying them and not digital copies for the same price. Although if you'd rather condone Steam's approach of you giving up your rights for essentially buying the thing for 5 dollars, that's fine too.

I find it funny when people use the argument that games now are cheaper through inflation than they ever have been. Yes, but you can do much less with them and you're going to be marketed to afterwards in most cases.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
-Ezio- said:
Then obviously you and, I are nobodies.

---

Although now that I look deep, down into my non-existent heart (since I am a nobody after-all), I do see that I would really rather pay full price for an invisible cloud of zero's and one's. That's much better than having a physical thing that I can display with other physical things. I like giving away money and having nothing to show for it but I had to look deep within myself to truly see that.

Mikeyfell

Aug 24, 2010
Tell him he's wrong!!!

I would buy a disk even if the digital download cost less

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
chozo_hybrid said:
I care, I have a bandwidth limit. I've only just got into the Assassins Creed Games, currently playing the first. I know, I'm late to the game, but I've been playing other things. I just bought the first two for $20 NZ total, on disc for my PC. I do that when I can because that way it doesn't chew through mine and my flat mates internet, people like this seem to live in this world where everyone has unlimited net, or money, one of the two it seems.
See, I recently moved and had to downgrade to a 150 gig/month plan (myself and my girlfriend spend a lot of time on the internet) and some games take 11 gigs+. That's nearly 10% of my monthly limit on a game.

I'm probably going to upgrade again to the 500 gig limit as my finances have improved and this problem won't concern me as much but still... I won't be everyone.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Hrm. I could simply say you're wrong, because he completely is. Always online has never appealed to me, and neither has digital games. (Yes, they're convenient, however, doesn't mean I prefer it.) Though I suppose if a game is purely digital it's size wouldn't really have a limit, right?

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
What a silly person. It's not about discs vs digital, it's about the fact that "digital" is starting to mean DRM + always online + licensing instead of outright ownership + more control to the publisher, less to the consumer. Which is the opposite of what discs represent. If all digital games were released the way GOG releases them (DRM free) most of us would have no issues with it.

Shaun Chang-Time

Aug 7, 2011
im sure alot of console gamers would agree it is required mainly because we would like to keep a physical copy of it so we know we actually own the game and can keep a physical collection of it......
just because pc is mostly digital download now doesnt mean consoles have to restrict themselves to just that we should have a choice not every person has a stable internet connection or internet at all to download digital games....

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
jericu said:
Yeah, duh, nobody cares about physical stuff anymore. That's why movies, books, comics, and music are all only available digitally now and nobody buys... oh wait, DVD's, Books, Comics, and Music CD's are still around? And they're still profitable? Potentially because the people who make those media have realistic views on how much money they can expect to make from a product and put money into projects accordingly instead of pumping too much money in and then blaming the consumer when 3.5 million sales is "disappointing?"

Huh. How about that.
Hulu
Netflix
Itunes
Kindles, or other e readers.

Whats that? Books? CDs? Are you going to say we should head to blockbuster and listen to president Reagan's address?

The only thing that isn't digital is comics, and news flash, "ownership" of a comic isn't the reason those are still physical. Its the forced rarity that breads price.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Yes, nobody cares about physical media except all the people who forced Microsoft to change. Clearly a very small number.
Ultratwinkie said:
jericu said:

Huh. How about that.
Hulu
Netflix
Itunes

Whats that? Books? CDs? Are you going to say we should head to blockbuster and listen to president Reagan's address?

The only thing that isn't digital is comics, and news flash, "ownership" of a comic isn't the reason those are still physical. Its the forced rarity that breads price.
You know what makes books so much better then e-readers to me? I don't have to plug them in and charge them like every other damn device.

Also, Marvel and DC have been selling digital comics for some time now.

Jack Nief

Nov 18, 2011
Well then if that's the case...

I'm willing to admit my hard-copy game library is significantly smaller than my digital lineup (thanks largely to Steam) I know better than to jump to completely digital because for one, have you seen the size of a number of these games? Games are not getting smaller (unless they're indie... usually) and the more time goes on, the bigger games will get, and the longer they will take to download.

I'm currently house-sitting for a neighbor. They have internet, but its far from the high-speed connection I had prior. It has issues streaming 380p Youtube videos, and downloading games is just NOT happening...

Let's work on expanding that vast global network people use called the internet to the point where it isn't barely useable at best, or completely inaccessible at worst for the 60% of the world not online. THEN we can start looking into fully stepping into the Digital Gaming Age.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I want my physical disks for collecting purposes! I'd even be willing to pay a few extra dollars to have a physical copy, that's how much I care about disks Mr. Desilets. I prefer my games on shelves NOT in hard drives.

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
He's right. I don't care about ubisoft at all..

..wait he meant discs? Oh that, I do care. It is easier for as I have a bandwidth cap, and you can fit up to 128GB with BDXL bluray, though standard are the DL 50GB discs. Not everyone has the best internet to go 100% digital. So suck it up buttercup, discs are here to stay for awhile longer.

captcha: no stinkin badges.. that's right you cocksucker.

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
Huh. You know, I own a console, I'm about to own a second console, and I only buy games on disc for them. I DLed Dante's Inferno on the Xbox, but other than that I've always bought discs and I intend to keep doing so. When I want something small and cheap and quasi-instantly I turn on my laptop, but lately I've been playing a lot of my games on that Xbox.

But, you know, if deep down I don't really care, that's okay.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
Absolutionis said:
It all makes sense now.

wooty said:
I care about discs. The day gaming goes fully digital is probably going to be the day that I get a new hobby, or start searching for a new girlfriend.
Eeyup. That's what I keep saying too. I tolerate digital on my PC when I have to (I bought Starcraft II and Bioshock Infinite physical copies, because I didn't want to spend forty hours combined downloading them), but one of the biggest conveniences to me about console gaming is just sticking a physical copy into the console and turning it on. Plus I love looking at my collection. Because, guess what, guy-formerly-from-Ubisoft? A 20 GB game takes me twenty hours to download, and that's only if I have the internet all to myself and it doesn't decide to cut out halfway through for some reason.

So you can take your digital future and kindly shove it down your cake-hole, Patrice Desilets.

I'd also appreciate if these people would stop assuming they know and can just tell me what I want.

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
Hey if you want to annoy him on twitter... https://twitter.com/PatriceDez

Just giving away free information!

*shifty eyes*

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I DON'T care about discs.

I do care about ownership. I do care about DRM. That is why I buy from GOG.com all day long, its all digital but I have an installer that I know I will always be able to install and play no matter what happens to GOG.com or the original publisher.

That was the real problem with Microsoft's attempt to straightjacket users with their DRM and 24 internet check-ins. Give us freedom. Even Steam enables a permanent offline mode for users.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
yeah? and? To fucking bad, the consumers have spoken. You want an all digital console future? Make one that isn't slanted to benefit the publishers and no one else, then we'll talk.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Digital games are nice for the bookshelf yeah, but nothing NOTHING beats the smell of a brand new game fresh out of the plastic...i don't have a problem..

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
strumbore said:
Patrice Desilets said:
What a sack of ****. This industry is stuffed at the highest levels with nerds who have to get their way, consumer be damned. You disagree, you're loser, a moron, a Luddite. It's not the developers job to appeal, it's the consumer's to submit. I had no idea until this whole Xbone fiasco started early this year how bad it all was.
He is French...

All racism and stupidity aside I wouldn't call him a piece of shit, I'd just say he's blinded by his own personal life. He most likely takes full advantage of digital distribution in it's current form and doesn't realise that not everyone can do that. He's more or less ignorant of the fact that the reason we don't want digital now is because a good deal of us literally can not access it. I do agree with Strumbore though, he is sounding like the dudes in school whom were "too intelligent for you", but I really don't care because majority always wins.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
If you want to go all digital, announce a price cut on your games at the same time. Do you really expect people to pay the same 60 dollars for content that only exists in the ether versus a physical copy in their hands? That's the problem with the publishers that are pushing all digital for the control it gives them and then offering none of the benefits of all digital to the consumer.
As a PC gamer, I buy almost all my games digitally but people still handle it very poorly. I can imagine why everyone who owns a console is pushing against it.

chozo_hybrid

Jund 'Em Out!
Jul 15, 2009
Abomination said:
chozo_hybrid said:
See, I recently moved and had to downgrade to a 150 gig/month plan (myself and my girlfriend spend a lot of time on the internet) and some games take 11 gigs+. That's nearly 10% of my monthly limit on a game.

I'm probably going to upgrade again to the 500 gig limit as my finances have improved and this problem won't concern me as much but still... I won't be everyone.
See, the highest we can get, and have is 150 gigs. That's between four people, three of who love games and such. Yeah if we all get the same game, one downloads, then we put it on USB and then copy it to console/computer then buy it and have Steam or the console say we can play it now by detecting it's there. But we have drastically different tastes. Witcher 2, I got the disc of for PC, still had to download 11 gigs, just to patch and add stuff to the game before I could play it for example.

Digital is the future, sure, I can see that, but that future is still a ways off.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I confess I personally DONT care about discs. What I care about is rights and as long as this industry (along with the other media industries) persist in trying to change the rules of the game surrounding products by trying to turn them into subscriptions so as to bypass consumer protection and rights then we all must resist not only for our sakes but for the sakes of idiots like these who do not even understand how they are destroying themselves.

The scary thing is that we seemingly do not yet grasp is that this technically IS the future. Digital distribution is about to absolutely explode with things like 3d printing and as it does what we do today is the battleground of that future. If we do not resist their vision of the future, we will have all lost in future decades where 3d printing will allow everything to be printed, transmitted via digital distribution and all your worldly possessions will be viewed as subscriptions and licenses. Apply Steam like policies that view your car or clothes subject to revokable, suspendable, discontinuable subscriptions that can be held hostage until voluntary compliance with new terms and conditions. Apply always on principles and Imagine driving to visit your grandparents out in the middle of no where and your car shutting down because you go out of range of an always online connection causing you to drive over a cliff to your death.

No it does not matter how many people come out and say it is the future because they WANT it to be the future (even though they cannot forsee how catastrophic such a future would be for themselves), As long as DD is approached with such resentment and loathing against consumers by trying to jam anti consumer down the throats of the people it cannot and should not be "accepted"

jericu

Oct 22, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
jericu said:

Huh. How about that.
Hulu
Netflix
Itunes

I'm not saying that digital alternatives don't exist, but nobody is claiming that digital is the future and physical discs/books are irrelevant in any other form of media. The only reason anyone gives for why "All Digital Is The Future" that actually has a basis in objective fact is because (supposedly) multi-million dollar corporations would make more money. Which is not a particularly good way to convince consumers to go all digital.

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
Clive Howlitzer said:
If you want to go all digital, announce a price cut on your games at the same time. Do you really expect people to pay the same 60 dollars for content that only exists in the ether versus a physical copy in their hands?
This.

It's a large part of the reason why everyone in this house never buys digital versions of anything. You want to charge me the *same price* for something that doesn't give me the sense of security a physical copy does (barring stupid former attempts like the 180 to thwart that)?

Uhh no. Just no.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah, I definitely care about discs, and will continue to care about them until I have the security that any digital game, ANY DIGITAL GAME is never, ever going to be unattainable. Give me the security I crave, and have in discs, and you might be on to something.

Do what sony does at times. Bundle digital downloads with other stuff like day one, and another game. I got Quantum Conundrum, 3 outfits, and some other stuff with Tomb Raider downloaded from PSN, and it was a tax free average game cost.

Sweeten digital, and give us instant gratification, or it's no deal. Especially if the companies are going to reel in the leash game companies want to keep gamers on.

I've got hundreds of Disc based games from my life gaming, and even a few cartridges keeping my ability to play those games safe.

Oh, and make hard drives cheaper, or make it way faster to download full games, too. Preferrably both. Do this across the globe. Hard drive space is finite, especially in consoles. Not everyone's going to have a 500 gig hard drive.

I have over 900 individual downloads on my PSN account, and it grows by the week. I had to reformat not too long ago. Guess what I had to do soon after reformatting?

I'm not going to pretend that there's no benefits what so ever to being digital, but the cons outweight it too much right now. Especially on consoles.

/rant

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
The future will be determined when the majority agree in favor of one way or another, and as the tally shows, the people are not ready to "go digital."

So you can cram it, Desilets.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I think the outrage was less about digitizing the industry and more about the bullshit DRM that came along with it.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
This is definitely what talking out of your ass sounds like, because you have to be truly fucking thick to tell the consumers how it works.

I am sick to death of morons like Patrice telling me "dis is da futre and der is nottthing u cn do abut it". WRONG! If you have any decency you would aim to give as many options as possible so no one misses out! Convenience should be the way of the future, not forced prick decisions that only work for greedy pricks.

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
He's definitely not gonna be reading the forums so I doubt he'll ever change his obstinate views on what makes this industry work.

But it would be kind of funny, if it actually did happen and they still kept losing profits and ended up blaming it on pirates or hackers or some other petty and pathetic excuse they can come up with.

It would be "fun" to heckle them about their short-sightedness about this whole miracle solution that they didn't bother to think was possible to be comprised because all they saw was "Profits! Ripping consumers off! Monopoly!" before thinking of anything else, like for the fact this will at best give a variable profit boost then possibly kill off most of their consumer's interests.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Absolutionis said:

Mostly thi. While I do like game cases, having basically a mural wof those has always been really awesome imo, but as it is now, when game discs are basically an "already downloaded" Steam backup, there's not much to it.

Even less so when you think that over here PC game are always 60 bucks, no matter how old they are.

jibjab963

Sep 16, 2008
Well then call me "Nobody" for the rest of my life. Not having a disk can be a major turn off for me.

2HF

May 24, 2011
I care, so that statement is false and his opinions on the matter become irrelevant to me.

Now, that being sad, I'm not all opposed to the digital model. I just bought Portal 2 digitally on my PS3. Know why? Because I got it for right about $10 whereas the physical copy would have cost me over $30 at Gamestop. I also purchased Flower, Final Fantasy 7 and 8, Jak & Daxter, Psychonauts, and a variety of others. I also recently purchased the Thief trilogy from GOG. All at tremendous deals.

Purchasing digital for the same price as physical on consoles is a stupid decision. I don't care if you never sell your games because of this or that illogical reason. The upsides are far outweighed by the downsides of digital purchases at the same price as physical.

I can buy a brand new game at Gamestop for $60, if it's a game in high demand I can easily get $30 back for it at that same retailer. For a little bit of effort I can easily get $40 on craigslist or ebay. That means I got the full experience for anywhere from $20-$30.

I can buy the same game used from Gamestop with absolutely no loss of quality for $50 and get the same return I mentioned above meaning I can have the full experience for $10-$20.

I can go buy a shitty game for $20, play it for 2 days before I realize I hate it, and return it for the full price within 7 days at Gamestop. Try that shit with digital.

So to recap, I'm not opposed to digital if you make it worth my money. I'm willing to give up my right to sell my property if I can get that property at a price that makes sense. And yes, when I buy a game it becomes my property. Not the IP of course, but the physical disc itself which contains IP. If I buy a postcard with The Mona Lisa on it I own that card and do whatever I want with it. I don't own The Mona Lisa but I can still sell that card. Same logic applies to games.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I think he got it backwards. I care about discs and I don't give two shits about how profitable the AAA market is.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I buy games and music digitally but movies on DVD. Why? Because I can rip and convert them. :D

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i dont buy discs anymore, havent bought a disc in i dont know 4 years. however i do backup almost all my digital buys on discs. yes im paranoid and a bad example.

He is right that digital is the future, however as with all antequated traditions, peoplel iek to clinge on them, myself included, and it will take a change of a few generations to completely root it out.

Evil Smurf said:
I buy games and music digitally but movies on DVD. Why? Because I can rip and convert them. :D
you can rip digital movies too.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Hazy said:
The future will be determined when the majority agree in favor of one way or another, and as the tally shows, the people are not ready to "go digital."

Tell that to steam's upwards of 50 million users and gigantic revenue.

But who cares about facts huh? Something that was 5 times bigger than WOW in its hayday doesn't matter huh? Or anything roughly the size of XBL and PSN?

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
It's like 2/3rds of the industry are trying to piss us off. The hits just keeping coming from these idiots.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
"Yeah, games come on disc, and I get it guys, you were really pissed off," he said. "But, deep down, nobody cares about not having CDs any more...
Well, it's official guys... I'm nobody. And, wait a sec. If people are mad, doesn't that mean they care enough to GET mad?

...The future is digital, and there's nothing you can do about it."
So he is firmly in the "consumers have no rights" camp? Well, fuck you too Patrice Desilets. I guess the Xbone getting it's ass handed to it with 10-1 preorder figures and MS doing a 180 to please the dirty, dirty peasants know as consumers is us not doing anything about it...

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
"Nothing you can do about it?"

...Has he been paying any attention at all the last few weeks?

I also think the voices behind the "but we could make it work if you'd all just go digital" cry need to back that nonsense up with something other that petulance and ill-founded conjecture.

You're going to make AAA profitable again? By selling games with more restrictions, more microtransactions, more DLC, but sans boxes, disks, manuals, and the assurance that they can be played without the oversight of a server that requires frequent and costly maintenance, and at the same damn price you were charging for the version we could actually sell back on an open market?

Pretend I believe you. Pretend that everyone bowing down to whatever crap the publishers want to inflict on their long-suffering customer base is inevitable.

How is that going to stop the cost of developing for ever-more powerful hardware from spiraling out of control? How is that not only going to stop piracy, but turn all those pirates into the customers your attorneys have been implying were just a reach away with the ever-loving fiction of "lost sales"? How is that going to slow down the continued fragmentation of your market? How is it going to bring in new customers as the face of your industry grows ever more demanding and unfriendly to skeptics?

And if digital isn't the panacea of AAA, but merely a stopgap measure propping up the tottering giant- why should we be expected to accept the fiction that all the disadvantages the marketers are trying to shove down our throats in this version are acceptable, when the losses may be written into EULAs and TOSs for decades after the oh-so-precious AAA games industry has crumbled into dust?

The future may be digital- but it's even more likely that the future of games lies in teams of under twenty people who make tight experiences that can be downloaded in under an hour and sell their games for a price that makes people willing to take a risk.

That is not the AAA industry we see today. You can grow wings and turn into birds, ye dinosaurs, or you can sink into the tar pits. Just don't expect us to hold you up while you fumble.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Hazy said:

But who cares about facts huh? Something that was 5 times bigger than WOW in its hayday doesn't matter huh? Or anything roughly the size of XBL and PSN?
Before you say things like that, watch the Jimquisition video on why Steam and the Xbone are incomparable.

rob_simple

Aug 8, 2010
Tell you what, shitbrick, when you can make digital gaming as efficient and reliable as downloading songs to my iPod, then maybe I'll believe discs are surplus to our needs.

As it stands, next gen games are going to be about 50GB in size, there is no way on gods Earth most peoples' current internet set-up is going to be able to handle that in a swift manner, and if PS3 installs are anything to go by, I'm not crazy about the idea of waiting half an hour while my game installs and updates to it's digital throne.

Digital is the future, but it's certainly not the present.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Weaning gamers off disks has to be a slow, positive process. You can't just suddenly go "Everything is digital now" and expect everyone to be OK with it. I know the PC gets brought up time and time again as an example but there was a lot of bullshit to deal with too (Games for Windows Live, Origin etc) that reduced the 'digital future' into simply DRM. This is what seems to be happening on consoles. Digital needs to be a better option. It needs to be cheaper, more convenient, come with better features and have a very strong surrounding architecture.

The only way digital ever took hold on the PC was because of:

1. Full installs of games being a necessity for a decade now effectively rendering disks a delivery system to your HDD and a hard DRM disk-check only.

2. Platforms like GoG and Steam evolving into services we actively want to use.

Digital games remove a big perceived part of the concept of ownership. 'Digital future' seems to have become a euphemism for "KILL USED GAMES! KILL THEM IN THE FACE!!"

lunam-kardas

Jul 21, 2011
I see he's going with the "If I say it enough times, it will have to come true" gambit.

Personally, I like having real physical disks so I don't have to store everything on my console or computer.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i like to have a real disc because my amount is limited and not really fast. yes, i did buy many games digitally as long it was like over 15gb or so, but physical discs are still the best when they come with CE.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
This man speaks the truth. Embrace the future. Scrap the physical media.

What is the point of it anyway? You use it once and put it away and never use it again. Downloading is more convenient.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Hazy said:

I don't really like Jim Sterling, but he has a pretty good piece on w-

Chairman Miaow said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Hazy said:

Before you say things like that, watch the Jimquisition video on why Steam and the Xbone are incomparable.
Yeah, what he said.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
If i were a dedicated PC gamer, discs for my games wouldn't be as important, but seeing as consoles are my primary source of entertainment for games, I love having discs for them, yeah they take up a heap of room, but i can sit back and look at the collection of games that i've had growing for 16 years now and say "look at that!"

Also, Tiberius is right, digital is inevitable, but we don't have the proper infrastructure to keep it going permanently yet on a consistant scale everywhere.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It definitely seems the wrong way around for someone from the industry to be telling the consumer what people care about. I agree that it's probably inevitable (and if I only played PC games I wouldn't mind so much), but not yet. Besides, I'm the kinda guy that has all his gig tickets blu-tacked to his wall, I like collecting stuff. I'm also worried that switching entirely to digital distribution is a very good way to take more rights away from the consumer, that's one of the very few reasons that would make me entirely abandon console gaming as I have slightly more faith in Steam.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
That looks to me like another statement that could've come across infinitely better if it weren't delivered in a dismissive manner that said "Deal with it.".

I'm a PC gamer, for the most part - I haven't bought a physical PC game in a few years and much prefer the way it is for me now with Steam, GOG and Humble Bundles. But I also play my 3DS and would much rather have the physical copies than buy them through the eShop (why the fuck are games there more expensive than their brick & mortar physical counterparts?!).

Regardless, people will be more inclined to go all-digital when the industry and their net connections can keep up, although obviously there'll always be people bucking that trend and good for them! Until then, sling your hook. Why shouldn't we have the choice?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Wow! Someone in the games industry that's an arrogant prick AND a fucking moron to boot. Wonder if he and CliffyB tweet one another?

Patrice, you might be right about digital being the future. However, there is a major flaw in your logic... WE'RE NOT FUCKING THERE YET!!

Much like cloud computing and every home on planet Earth having high speed Internet, we still have a long way to go before these goals can be fully realized. Technology has a habit of failing, especially when it is rushed to meet a future that isn't ready for it. Learn some patience, Patrice, and try not to sound like a pompous asshole, OK?

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Chairman Miaow said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Hazy said:

The creator said that people don't care about discs anymore and want digital.

Which is fact.

If people cared about discs, things like Blockbuster would still be around. Digital =/= DRM.

Hulu, Netflix, Itunes, and Steam. That is the future.

The fact they are cheaper than the big retailers and distributors is the icing on the cake of death for discs.

Hazy said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Hazy said:

Chairman Miaow said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Hazy said:

Yeah, what he said.
Look up.

Also Jim Sterling is an awful source. All his points are one dimensional, barely any better than Glen Beck's views that Obama is Satan because "he feels he is."

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Ninmecu said:
Hi there dick, has your mouth recently been introduced to a size 10-ish foot? It has? Well, that explains a lot. As for the cultural impact of things, yes, that would be more relevant and would certainly improve several games. However using pre-existing franchises to do so isn't always the best way. I'm native, I've read native beliefs. Yes, Connor was a bit overly stoic by, well, most peoples ideals, but his people value stoicism to the highest degree. Was the scene where he had to fight that one rather close dude a bit underwhelming? Most certainly. Is Connor meant to be an Assassin? No. He should have had his own game without the IP of Faffing About Creed looming over with a big neon sign saying "we tried to tie this shit in together somehow" and don't get me started on that desecration you guys called an ending to his arc.

Also, is it just me or do a lot of "higher up" people keep saying a lot of really stupid things lately or is it just my imagination?
It's just you, the things higher ups are saying have gone far past the point that "really stupid" describes them, now they are officially "utterly and willingly retarded".

CAPTCHA: LEAVE ME ALONE

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
I happen to quite like discs. It's nice to have a physical object that I can point to and say "that's my game". I dislike the sensation of knowing that the entire game could be erased by my console breaking.

So speak for yourself, Mr Desilets. I'll decide what I want by myself, thanks.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Desilets said:
**raises hand**

No, I don't care about the "disk". I care about owning a game and having the rights of ownership over said game. I don't care if the game is on a disk, but I do care that a disk can be loaned, sold, and so forth. Give me that all digital, and you will see me onboard. Use digital as an excuse to take that away, and you can fuck right off.

Desilets said:
"We all like space marines and shooters,"
**raises hand**

Actually, no. No we don't. Not all of us anyway.

ChrisCarTheMarauder

May 3, 2013
I care about having a collection on a shelf that I can look at and say "God I have great taste, AND I can organize like no other mother."

My 50+ digital games just don't give me that feeling.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
I like collecting physical things, if you're not going to give me a disk then at least give me a little credit card style thing I can collect ;_;

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Physical copies will always have a more personal feeling to them, and offer me security because I know how they're organised.

Funnily enough my physical copy of Assassin's Creed III has been gathering dust for quite some time, which is much better than something on Steam saying "You haven't played this in 6 months, 4 days and 6 hours".

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Digital isn't the future, mobile gaming on tablets and phones seems to be the large profit of the future sir, and they rely purely on digital, so of FUCKING COURSE you'll be pushing your idiocy upon us, it's not like a plug in and play copy of the game has any benefits.

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
If I'm using a console, I want a physical copy. Consoles are shit in the sense of digital game sin my opinion. Even if that's only because of mouse interface is > controller for picking games.

If I'm using my PC, I prefer digital. Steam is so wonderful with that. I have lots of games so being able to look and pick immediately is very helpful. If I had that on my Xbox, I wouldn't be able to do that from what I saw. I'd have to scroll down, or right, to find what I wanted.

Although I've grown up on PC games, so maybe I'm just biased.

comraderichard

Jun 11, 2013
Given that I support the used game market, despite not really using it myself, and that I quite like owning physical disks instead of shelling out money for downloads that I could lose with one bad power surge that forces my device to format itself, um, yeah, no. Weather in West Virginia can get pretty bad, the Internet can be down for days (we have access to two shoddy providers: Frontier and Atlantic), and sometimes that means I need to pop in a disk and play to not lose my will to do anything out of sheer boredom. It's games that keep me happy during my free time, after all.

One more thing, is it just me, or is The Escapist going all out with the sensationalist headlines lately? I really hope this doesn't keep up, lest that morph into the game journalism equivalent of the Inquirer.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Counterpoint from anecdote, Sir: I just had a hard drive fail, losing all the related media (unless I wanted to pay three times the cost of the not-inexpensive drive to recover it, at any rate) completely. I have few problems with digital games, but it's the same reason I still buy books in between buying digital ones--I want things on my shelves, I'm not one of those needlessly "efficient" people who are burdened by the 12 seconds it takes to change a disc, and, when the hard drive carrying the games fails and I can't recover them, I'd like to still be able to play them on a new drive. Admittedly not the strongest case, and the latter argument is more against things like install number restrictions and DRM, but neither of those are going to go away, and losing the ability to uninstall a copy of something means I'm permanently one short, and being one short can add up quite quickly. I can buy a game or a book, in its physical form, and I *own* that object. The underlying stink about Microsoft's presentation was the loss of consumer ownership in favor of licensing, and the sheer volume of outcry, and subsequent relief when Sony said they would allow the consumer direct ownership of their purchases, is very evident that whatever form it takes, people want to own what they buy. Only in media does this show up. If I bought a dress or a nice suit, I don't have a limited number of times I can wear it before the company asks me to buy it again. If I buy a car, I can drive it to my heart's content, neglecting it or meticulously taking care of it as I see fit (as long as I pay it off, of course). At no point does the manufacturer say I need to buy the car again because I've hit 60,000 miles.

There are books on my shelf that have been read so many times that they've needed repairing. There are games I have in disc form that have been uninstalled and reinstalled so many times I'm pretty certain there's a permanent data imprint on the various drives and equipment that runs them. I would love to see a world where I can do that with all my digital media, but as it is, I have to closely monitor these licensed issues to see which ones expire or only allow so many installs before requiring a new purchase, and which ones can be treated like a physical disc. To go all digital in and amidst this storm of ownership debates and DRM debacles would be like trying to fly with wax and feather wings off of a skyscraper--you might have a decent idea, but the execution is severely limiting, and end result might be more damaging than if you had waited and properly prepared.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ok, allow me to explain to Ubisoft two factors that they have no control over. The internet and HDD sizes.

As one example, Uncharted 3 was 40GBs. At least the free version I got as a ps+ member was 40GB and required that I have over 15GB available beyond that. Moving on, that's the size of a particularly large current gen game and the next generation of games could/should be significantly larger than that depending on if they're willing to start shipping multiple disks per game or combining a serious download portion that is required to play the game. It is rumored that the ps4 will not be able to read the 4x layer bluray disks. That likely means the maximum game per disk will be around 50GB. Perhaps they'll start making the online multiplayer sections require downloading. If we're wrong and it can read the 100GB BDs then we could begin to see HUGE game files crop up. We may also begin looking at the introduction of BD disks that hold a lot more than 25GB per layer. Heck, didn't Sony invent something in 2010 that could hold 1TB in two layers? That'd be interesting.

Now, with a 500GB, this isn't an initial problem for a game here and there to be 20GB+. But when you're talking about a system you're going to use for years and if you're talking about removing a physical library then basically the library is VERY limited at this point and you may quickly having to decide which games you want to delete in order to play a new game. Depending on how you use your library, you may find this particularly infuriating.

Now, you may think that's not such a big problem. That you can just re-add the game if you ever want to play it again. But, this brings us into the discussion of downloading versus popping in a disk. For a 40GB game on a normal internet connection you're talking well over 12 hours of download time. Now, unless Ubisoft is going to offer me an FTP transfer of my game then that's not going to change until comcast or century link or sprint start actually competing along the lines of quality of product. Of if Google Fiber ever allows me the honor of giving them money. Uncharted was around 16-18 hours for me and I still have a 16mbps connection.

So the difference is in popping in a disk and waiting maybe 20 minutes vs. waiting for a day to play the game. And darn it if we aren't willing to pay for that convenience.

It takes a trivial amount of money to make these games and once a retail store has purchased the game, you've already sold it. You aren't taking a hit with it. How can you possibly attribute the existence of physical media as a detriment to your industry?

If the internet was fast enough to pull a game over in 20 minutes, then we wouldn't care. If HDD's were several TBs then we would care even less. Yeah, the almighty physical disk would be dead, maybe. There's still a lot of emotion behind owning a physical copy of the game that can still be plopped in whenever you desire. But largely, that's when we'll stop caring as much. It's still putting all our eggs into one basket (for example, if Sony or Microsoft ever drop their console business, why would we continue to expect to be able to access our games in 15 years?). How about you guys at Ubisoft do this. Have a game party in which one of you buys a physical disk of a large AAA game and the other one downloads. Let me know what sort of thoughts you have towards the experience.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Look up.

Also Jim Sterling is an awful source. All his points are one dimensional, barely any better than Glen Beck's views that Obama is Satan because "he feels he is."
Yeah, that's why I don't like him.

Anyway, I think the take home fact is that it's good... in moderation. If the populace wanted to go completely digital, they would have done it by now. Steam is nice, and digital distribution is convenient, but we're clearly not ready to give up physical discs yet... or else we would have. If you need any more evidence, look at this very thread.

The people had, have, and will have the final say in the matter. You can try to force your digital media down people's throats, but as long as they aren't complying, that shit isn't going to fly. And it won't sell either.

Steam is convenient, but it's also not the only source.

That's what I meant by my original post.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Hazy said:

The creator said that people don't care about discs anymore and want digital.

Which is fact.

If people cared about discs, things like Blockbuster would still be around. Digital =/= DRM.

Hulu, Netflix, Itunes, and Steam. That is the future.

The fact they are cheaper than the big retailers and distributors is the icing on the cake of death for discs.

Hazy said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Hazy said:

Chairman Miaow said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Hazy said:

Yeah, what he said.
Look up.

Oh. hi love film, didn't see you over there. How are you doing all those people in this thread saying you like discs? My, that's a nice collection of discs you have over there everybody who has ever owned games ever.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Now you might find that -few- people ON PC care about discs. But on consoles? It has to be at least 90% of the traffic now, surely? That's one of the things consoles have over PCs. Or had, at least. Buy CD, pop in console, play. Simple. No install or download, just put the disc in and go.

Leefank137

Jan 8, 2009
I'd be happy to go all-digital if there was a price benefit. As it is now, a lot of services are just using it as an excuse to cut own consumer ownership and to that I say: Boo sir, boo.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
The quote strikes me more as a remorseful stance than an Adam Orth situation. "I get it, but that's the future and there's nothing you can do about it".

And I have to agree with that. Not only does digital save so much in costs for the publisher and developer (which is the biggest factor at work here), but even someone like me who loves retail has steered away from it, because it's regressed - when's the last time you saw a nice meaty cardboard box? I'm not going to pay extra for tasteless plastic case with a DLC leaflet inside, I'll go on Steam or GOG and get a digital edition for a rock-bottom price, that offers worldwide accessibility and immediate patching. Retailers don't seem to get that and they think 20 types of pre-order DLC for every game is what's going to dig them out of the hole.

However I do hope that as the digital wave sweeps the industry, there will be more places like GOG that amplify the advantages for the customer, while removing the hurdles. I'm really worried by the possibility of developers tying down their games entirely to cloud and online-only services, sentencing them to death if those services ever go down. And DRM-free is a must, my doomsday backup hungers.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
RJ 17 said:
"But, deep down, nobody cares about not having CDs any more. The future is digital, and there's nothing you can do about it."
Thanks, Patrice! God, I love it when you guys in the development industry tell us what we, the consumer, really want and don't really want. It makes it SO much easier to be a blind consumer whore that lines your pockets with as much profit as we can while getting minimal increases in quality in return! Being a lemming sure is a lot easier than having our own opinions on what we like and don't like!
Oh but you see, this is the new age of gaming where Publishers know and dictate everything:
They have the numbers on everything..the consumer's tastes, what they're willing to pay for, even their love of DLC!
They know everything down to the finest detail. And they're sad that we just won't accept the promise of endlessly convenient joy they offer.

Snark aside, statements like that always strike me as a veiled form of the message:
"Just take the pill, shut up, and don't think. You'll be happier that way."

"We all like space marines and shooters, but come on, we need to talk about something else," he continued. "Make games with a cultural point of view. We did a game, somehow, about the Muslim faith. We did a game about the Italian renaissance. [Ubisoft] did a game about the American Revolution. Having a cultural point of view will become more and more important. There is something about where I come from in the game I was making [1666: Amsterdam]. I think that will change the entire industry."
You made a series of games about a line of dudes who murder people for a living set in different time periods.
Don't pretend you're more cultured just because you made Grand Theft Auto: History Channel Edition.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I do not own one physical PC game and it's my primary gaming medium. I give no fucks about discs, but for consoles I think they're necessary. It has nothing to do with owning a physical copy of the game, rather the fact that there would be only one online store per console with total monopoly over game sales, and with no competition it could price games however it sees fit. There would be no way we would see the kind of sales like on steam or amazon download.

But that aside, some people like discs. I'm not one of them but saying NOBODY cares about discs is outright untrue.

oraclekun

Apr 15, 2009
People don't care about discs, this is true. People also don't care about digital, this is true also. People care about what the cd represents which is: the FREEDOM to do with it what I like with it. I can give it to a friend, I can use it in whatever Xbox I like and if it stops working one day it's my own fault for not looking out for it. (Of course it had to happen to the one disc that's impossible to get nowadays: Rock Band 3.)

People weren't really mad about CD's. People were mad about the restrictions digital content on the Xbox would mean and not unimportantly, the message the Xbox One had: "We don't trust the customers that paid hundreds of dollars JUST to get this console to not steal from us behind our back for more then 23 hours."

They are purposely misdirecting the debate to a "Go with the times, you geeeezers" discussion while it's more about how the video game industry sees and trusts his paying customers.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I would say that I care about disks, but given that I have more games on Steam than I do on my shelf I guess I don't care as much as I thought.

If games DO go pure digital, then there needs to be a safe and stable system for keeping old games. Say I download an HD-remake-collection on a next gen console (PS4/Xbone), then after the next, next gen comes out the files get corrupted and I can't play it any more. Will it still be supported? Can I get a fresh copy like I can on Steam? Or will I have to leave it and buy the UHD-reremake-PlatinumRay-super-collection on the next, next gen?

So-Many-Hyphens-!-!-!

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Hey! I'm a nobody and I don't care about Assassin's Creed. Suck on that, Desilets.

It's inevitable for developers that have gotten so used to sucking off a publisher to prefer their way of thought. Once they don't have to sell you a disc they can drop all pretenses of selling you a product and all that entails. And then daddy can buy them that new dress they always wanted.

evenest

Dec 5, 2009
A great deal has been made about physical media versus digital media. Certainly,
I side with those who choose a dvd over digital. What is being glossed over is the
assertion that AAA games will be more profitable once physical media is removed from
the equation. Printing dvds can't be that expensive. As a corollary, I've heard
print publishers say that the physical printing and shipping of books is a small
percentage of the cost for creating the book; I can only imagine that it is similar
for video game development (the physical printing of the software onto a disc is a
small percentage of the cost). [Sorry about my weird paragraphing, the "roll-over ad
is blocking a quarter of my post area, and I can't seem to close it].

Is the assertion that AAA games will be profitable when digital becomes the only way
to purchase games because publishers will be able to keep the cost of the game
artificially inflated? This occurs on the Xbox and Sony marketplaces--games that are
old tend to stay at $60 (or near it) even as retailers have begun to cut the price
of the discs. And this isn't about used games. A year after Demons Souls came out, I
bought a NEW copy at Target for $19.

I wish that those who say digital distribution is the only way to stay profitable would
explain in more detail why{/i] they make this claim. Perhaps that would enable
those of us who cling to our discs to be able to come to their way of thinking. Of course
it may also have the effect of showing us just how terrible such a development would be
for consumers.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
MiskWisk said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I'm nobody
who are you?
Are you nobody to?
Hey Nobody! Fancy seeing you here!
It's me, Nobody.

OT: Guess I can add him to the box of people I'm not going to listen to in the future.
I think Polyphemus wants a word with you two.

OP: Almost all my games bar the older ones are digital now. Sure, its a bugger to have to download them rather than install off-disk, but I live far away enough from a GAME store to make it worthwhile.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I care.

I have a lot of games and I like collecting them. There is no fun in having a digital collection. Also, if he thinks it will be profitable going all digital then he forgets that the price has to drop significantly to make people want to go all digital.

Also, the issue was never the fact that it was digital vs. disc based on the X180 so I don't know why he brings that up.

Oh... and for all you research people out there, I have over 100 games on Steam and 50 on GOG. I have never paid over $9.99 for any game on either service. And I won't. I won't gamble more than a rental price on a game I don't know about.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
But the industry also needs to expand its scope beyond the usual fare, he said, noting that he's been to four E3 events and they've been dominated by the same things every time. "We all like space marines and shooters, but come on, we need to talk about something else."

Says the guy who only makes assassins creed games.

hornedcow

Jun 4, 2013
jericu said:

Huh. How about that.
Exactly what I was thinking. The industry's been taking the piss for the few years, lessening the rights of the consumer, making horrible business decisions and then blaming us when things don't go well for them. The sooner they crash the better for all of us.

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
I Think most people prefer hard copies to be fair. My internet is terrible so DL a game can take days!

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
Personally, I like this guy. I want all my assholes to be walking around, displaying their asshole-ness for everyone to see, that way I can tell from a mile away what I'm gonna get myself into if I try to have any dealings with said asshole. Those secret, in the closet assholes are the ones I can't stand.

So thank you Mr. Desilets, I know exactly what to expect from you whenever you open your mouth.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
The more I hear about the game industry, the more I'm beginning to get worried about them.

Apparently, most of the higher executives seem to think the "average gamer" is some pampered kid or adult with an awesome Internet connection in some sprawling metropolis that can afford to buy all of the big titles at launch date and can afford all of the perks along with the usual online Internet fee AND the additional fee most consoles require for online play.

Sure, that does amount for a lot of gamers. Probably, like, maybe 10% of them. I know a lot of overseas gamers that do not have connections comparable to us US citizens, and rural gamers have it even tougher. There are even a lot more gamers that buy the console for the sole purpose of the single-player experience (see: Fallout, Skyrim, Dishonored, etc.) and are switching to computers or simply are just fading off the radar as a result of this vehement and violent backlash to their specific kind of gaming.

The industry is booming, but they're cutting their market size with each "advancement." Triple A gaming alone can't sustain itself on frat boys and spoiled brats who keep buying CoD. Either the entire industry goes "CoD" in an attempt to milk the cash cow for what it's worth, or the entire Triple A business cuts its market size to a point where it can't sustain itself, and it all comes crashing down.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
I'm a PC Gamer so I rarely use discs and I put a lot of trust and faith in Steam, but... seriously, fuck this guy. Fuck him and his fucking vision of the future. Going all digital is a step that a lot of people are not ready to take yet. Seriously, I can't think of any other distributors besides Steam and GOG that actually did Digital right. So yeah, screw this guy for telling people what they like or don't like. "There's nothing you can do about it". And that's exactly why Microsoft backtracked and pulled the DRM right? Yeah. Fuck you. Asshole.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
While I am fairly indiffrent towards the digital/physical debate, IF they are going all-digital, there are two things they must guarantee. Which they won't cause they view us as all-consuming mouths who will eat whatever we're fed and spit out money.

1) Lower the prices of digital sales. Not that difficult, they don't have to share with the retailer, have discs/cases made, they can even skip out on instruction booklets, because hey; all digital. But they won't do that, because the oppertunity to make MORE makes their mouths water.

2) For goodness sake, don't force us to always be online and guarantee the game will be playable after the developper stopped caring. But I really doubt they shall, because they seem to love to control every aspect of our 'experience' too much.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
gamer for 33 years and i used to love discs but the last 2 years or so i have purchased everything pretty much digitally and i love the ease of use without being worried about where i put the discs, or worried if i scratched them.

steam is an ideal for me. just click download and it downloads, installs and patches automatically. no fuss gaming for me.

i also like the fact with digital distibution i have a choice of retailers, and can pick the best price. as a side note its also more environmentally friendly as well as there is no transport of a physical good nor manufacturing of a disc

Spacemonkey430

Oct 8, 2012
So if digital is the future doesn't that mean that companies should start making quality products and services in order for them to be widely accepted, purchased and used by the consumer? It would seem that would produce more proffits in the long run. And isn't that what the big names of the industry are all about these days? Saying that they desperately need to make a buck because they are all poor and starving because of the evil consumer not blindly pandering to their poor busniness practices? This seems to be the approach instead. Say something that gives you domination is "the future of gaming" and then ram it down anybody who may have wanted something that comes along with your systems throat (like an exclusive) and tell them its nice and for their own good and they are a benevolent god for giving it to you.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
The problem is that digital data is just digital data, but a disc is not just a disc.

I have, in my big racks still full of CDs, the two-disc special edition version of the best of James, my favourite band. The pro-digital argument wants to see those two discs as two folders on my hard drive containing 18 and 7 music files respectively that could have been downloaded from iTunes or Spotify or some torrent or whatever else, for all they care. I don't see them as that. I see them as the final result of four years trawling every record shop I went into, the length and breadth of the country, from Plymouth to Dundee and Manchester to Kings Lynn. I see them as a memento of a Christmas spent with a couple of mates in Nottingham. I see them as the joy and relief on my face when they had to get their trains back home and I had half an hour to kill so I thought I'd pop into a nearby MVC I spotted, where I finally found them.

I can tell similar stories about much of my CD collection. And my DVD collection; my Skins Series 3 box set isn't just ten video files, it's a twenty-three mile hike around Stoke-on-Trent. Digital data is disposable, something designed to be so intangible that it has no meaningful value. The majority of my discs have value to me far beyond their content. That's not something I'm willing to just throw away.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
With the move to all-digital the companies will have an even easier time spying on the criminal scu-CUSTOMERS, making sure they're loyal every second of the day. And god forbid they want to play the game alone offline, in which case it'll delete all their saved games and render the game itself useless.