Assassin's Creed III Could be set in World War II

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Assassin's Creed III Could be set in World War II

According to Assassin's Creed producer Sébastien Puel, Ubisoft has "had discussions" about a new game in the franchise set in the second World War - starring a female assassin.

Speaking to Xbox World 360 about the upcoming Assassin's Creed II, Puel was asked about the possibility of having a female Assassin as the protagonist of a future AssCreed title. "We've had discussions on that very topic," responded Puel, "It could be really interesting but we'd need to find the right time period and place for that."

One of the potential settings that had come up in discussion was World War II - and not necessarily for the standard "Nazis suck" reason most games seem to use, either. Instead, Puel said, World War II would be a potentially fitting setting because the various nations involved in the conflict were incredibly reliant on female manpower to keep their economies (and war machines) going:

[blockquote]"Where would that make sense? We don't want to just decide we want to change and have a female hero as the first inspiration is always the time period, but if you're talking about, say, World War II the economies in England and France were run by women because the men were off fighting.

So maybe in this context you were a woman in England during WWII. Why not? Nothing prevents us from doing it."[/blockquote]

He does have a point, and it's possible that a hypothetical Assassin's Creed set in World War II would avoid the standard pitfalls of quote-unquote "World War II games." On the other hand, it feels like it could just end up becoming another Velvet Assassin style game. The refreshing part about the first two AssCreed games (for me, at least) was that they explored time periods that hadn't been covered in many other games - if any other games. The Crusades and the Renaissance are both relatively untrod ground, whereas WW2 has been trampled (goose-stepped, even) underfoot.

There's so much potential here for interesting settings that aren't WW2. What about, say, Elizabethan England, the American and French Revolutions, or the Industrial Revolution - to name a few? How about the Civil War? It would be disappointing to fall back on something so run-of-the-mill, no?

Still, Ubisoft appears aware of this very issue. While Assassin's Creed had originally been envisioned as a trilogy, said creative director Patrice Fortier, the beauty of the premise meant that the world could be continually expanded and fleshed out. "What's so great about Assassin's Creed is that we can just expand and expand," said Fortier, "I'm often asked if we're doing a third game after ACII... I mean, we could do 35 of these."

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=225343?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS])

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
Assassins' Creed XXXV

Please, no, just no.

Where would it be set? In Gabe Newell's back garden?

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Female Assassin: Yes
World War II: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That would take away half the charm of Assassin's Creed. There are millions of settings to explore all over the world all over the time. It doesn't matter from which angle you do WWII, it's still done to death.

The French revolution would be awesome if you ask me ^^

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I would think the industrial revolution would be the obvious choice. The other games are all set during periods of great global history and change (crusades, renaissance) I think the industrial revolution goes pretty neatly with these. It also offers a lot of conflict and exploitation that the hero could fight by sneaking around and killing dudes.

Jabbawocky

Sep 3, 2008
Hasn't there been a game that came out recently about a female assassin during ww2?

Edit: Ah just further read the description, Velvet Assassin.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Can't we just wrap up Desmond's story in the third game and possibly do some spin-offs from there? I'd really like for them to finish what they started in the first game.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Well at least it's history instead of ancient history and slightly less ancient history respectively.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
hopefully it wont be like a certain Assasin that failed in a certain War in a certain May Month. cookie for the one who knows what im talking about.

on topic: it shouldnt. if i could choose anything, i´d The French Revolution and the events following, meaning trips around Europe, assasinations of those obese british assholes that ruled Napoleon´s cities after he was defeated, and hopefully The Hidden Gunblade

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
A stealth game set in World War II with a female Assassin?

Velvet Assassin anyone?

EDIT: Wait, It seems I missed the Line Where it says Velvet Assassin, so the Escapist Staff have ALL Ninja'ed everyone who put it

But in all seriousness, what about the Industrial Revolution...

Okay now that sounds bad in my head now I think hard...

" you must kill the owner of that factory for firing his workers for machines which he can operate with little employees. Bring me his blood."

When you kill him...

"Why did I fire them? Because I needed the money, to find an artifact which makes you hallucinate." The factory owner says...

"You mean like that thing the people in the new world smoke?" The assassin Enquires

"Exactly... but without the outer body experience thing.

Hoppetussa

Sep 24, 2008
If they set the game in World War 2 with guns and all that, it wouldn't be Assassin's Creed.
And there are 186 World War 2 games already.

Spitfire175

Jul 1, 2009
Well. As a long term history student this screams "Noooooo!" to me. As a gamer, also "Noooooo!".

As for the desired time period, the English civil war, the French revolution, Victorian Britain and WW1 appeal to me the most.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I too would like to see them go more slowly.
As mentioned above, the French or American revolutions or just London during the Industrial revolution would be a good place to stop on the way to the future - that is where they're going with the series right?

Heeman89

Jul 20, 2009
I agree that WWII would probably not be the best choice for setting in the game, too many games have already been set in that period, it wouldn't really do anything new per say and would be compared to all the other WWII games out on the market

I think the American Revolution would be an interesting setting, being a lot of the colonists came over for religious freedom (and Templars are usually connected with the Christian faith) I think that would make for an interesting story, (just my opinion tho)

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
It's WW2! And you get to kill Hitler! HURR DURR!

French revolution would be more fitting.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
American Revolution, England Civil War or French Revolution. All three of those would be perfect for both Assassin work and the option for both female and male protaginists, as Women used to dress up as men to spy and assassinate members of the other side.

Ill happily play a female assassin aslong as I can keep my clothes on

Jabbawocky

Sep 3, 2008
Funny enough I always imagined Assassin Creed III being set in the present day playing as Desmond for some reason being that it was the last in a trilogy. Probably couldn't work though.