Assassin's Creed III Declares Independence from England

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I don't think that's really the best place to choose. There are a lot of places with better themes and more important events.
Also, damn French! Siding with the bloody yanks again!

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
I would like when Yahtzee review this. Because he will be killing his fellow Englishmen in the game.
I pretty sure this will be a lot worse than the Uncharted 3 review or not.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Oh good, the one thing America and France can agree on: Limeys suck.

Also, this thread makes me think of this:

MisterSurreal

Feb 21, 2011
While this will certainly be interesting, I was really hoping for a game set in China. Embers strongly hinted at it (I was hoping that Shao Jun would be the main character.) Perhaps with the conflict centered around the political intrigue between the Ming Dynasty and Tibet. In addition, the presence of the Polos (Niccolo and Matteo) in Revelations also could have been seen as some foreshadowing. A game set in Kublai Khan's reign, where the main character (obviously not Shao Jun, since this would be 300 years or so earlier) would get to interact with Marco Polo would also have been pretty fantastic.

China had the huge, old cities that the franchise is so good at portraying, while having a distinctive style and political setting. It would have been quite awesome.

I should also point out that this new character doesn't necessarily HAVE to be a descendant of Ezio and Altair to be an ancestor of Desmond. He could be from the other branch of Desmond's family tree. Ancestry isn't just a single line, it's convergent. Ezio's descendants and this character's descendants could have joined their families farther down the line and produced Desmond.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
iNsaneMilesy said:
If he's an Indian, he'd be fighting the colonials and siding with Britain or against both as history goes
Taking out leaders on both sides of the war makes sense. It certainly fits with the style of the first game. I think that's another reason why he's a Native American- it allows him to operate more loosely concerning either side of the war.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I have to say, I'm terribly disappointed they didn't change the design on this new character much from the last one. Everyone else will be in new and interesting costumes, shouldn't the player get something more... appropriate? It's going to be hard to find suspension of disbelief if this guy is walking around 1700s America in that and not constantly being suspected for one thing or another.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
The Artificially Prolonged said:
He does seem to stand out a bit dressed in white.

Interesting setting but can we please not have all the templars be british, I would like the story to at least not as black and white as that.
I'm assuming it will be a mix. After all, the thing about the AC version of the Templars is that they transcend conflicts such as this, manipulating things behind the scenes on both sides. After all, not all the enemies in the first one were Crusaders, and not all the enemies in Revelations were Byzantines.

I would also like to state SIGNIFICANT APPROVAL for the new costume. Conspicuous? yes, but I don't care. It looks awesome.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
Man this looks awesome. It sucks I have to plow through the rest of Brotherhood and then Revelations before this. Bleh, I don't enjoy filler.

TheGroovyMule

Oct 23, 2008
Damn, was hoping the next one would be the Russian Revolution

But, American Revolution should be very cool as well. Seeing as it has to take place in a major urban centre (without major gameplay tweaks) I'd say it'll likely take place in Philidephia, seeing as you'd be able to interact with Washington, Adams, and maybe have Franklin be the new DiVinci!

Other then that, will guess that the main character is likely going to be part native American. Reason is Philadelphia was founded by William Penn, who fled to America to escape persecution of the Quakers, and wanted to make a place where everyone could worship freely. As well, he created a very good relationship with the local natives as he bought the land from them, despite it being 'granted'.

I'd guess, if the main character is on the American side (likely), he'd have Oneida heritage, as they were one of the two tribes that sided with the Americans, as well, assisted Washington in Valley Forge.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
so what your saying is that most of the civilians are american?

this pleases me

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Is there really another reason to stick Desmond in the Animus? I thought they had all the info they needed by this point?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
So you all know that Ubisoft Montreal is in Canada and not France, right?
This is like calling people from Hong Kong "British".

I think my biggest gripe with the game is the box art. Did we really need the colonial flag waving in the background? Why not superimpose a bald eagle in there too?

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
anthony87 said:
Is there really another reason to stick Desmond in the Animus? I thought they had all the info they needed by this point?
Of course there is. People eat up Assassins Creed games like there's no tomorrow. Next thing you know, they'll have you controlling a Desmond relative in the future, going into the Animus to control Desmond going into the Animus.

TheGroovyMule

Oct 23, 2008
Riobux said:
Pandering to the American fan base. Just simply pandering.
Just like the last three were -totally- pandering to the Italian fanbase. I think their just trying to make the entire conflict more 'global' in scope, as in, moving out of the Middle East, and Europe.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
As refreshing as it is to see a new character in a time and setting that games rarely get set in,it does seem to be wandering close to the 'America rules everything' mentality that many games and movies employ. I'm really hoping this isn't going to be America = Aweosme, British Empire = Evil Imperialists.