Assassin's Creed III Declares Independence from England

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Sexy Devil said:
Random Argument Man said:
Jabberwock xeno said:
Meh.

I don't see it working well.

As I have pointed out before, Victorian England, the Russian revolution, or the fall of the Aztec empire would work much better.
The Russian revolution is already done in the comics. The fall of the Aztec empire won't work (for now since we're following Desmond's ancestors and Ezio died 1524. The empire fell in 1521) (But hey, maybe when we don't follow Desmond's story).

Victorian England would be a nice setting. American revolution is not a used setting, but it does kinda fits with the end of AC:Revelations (if people payed attention).

However.....Tomahawk...This is just made of pure win.

Judging by the box art. The new assassins looks really gritty. Another revenge story? A guy who have known war since he was born? Someone who got in touch with the native american and refused to battle the "gentleman" way?
Dammit, stop killing my dreams of a potential funniest moment in gaming mission where you assassinate Rasputin! The Russian Revolution game will happen, dammit!
If it makes you feel better, Desmond's story will end at some point and will probably be replaced by another "main character". If it doesn't cheer you up, have a cookie?

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
TheGroovyMule said:
Riobux said:
Pandering to the American fan base. Just simply pandering.
Just like the last three were -totally- pandering to the Italian fanbase. I think their just trying to make the entire conflict more 'global' in scope, as in, moving out of the Middle East, and Europe.
Let's put some context into this. America celebrates three wars, and only three wars: The American Revolution, The American Civil War and WW2. The rest of the areas were interesting, but you don't have Christian Crusades celebrations, nor Renaissance. You also have to remember that the countries that have been explored have a small minority in terms of computer games players, at least compared to Eastern Europe and America.

You also have to consider that in terms of sheer recognition of historical events, America is the key country that does it. I really do not know of a country that celebrates historical events as much and as often as America does. To add to that, it gets tiresome to get the whole "America is awesome" crap in a lot of games of this kind. Hell, even delving into Canadian or French history (I did actually hope for a French Revolution game) would of probably been more interesting to non-Americans than this.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011

If he's Native American I think it will bring an interesting aspect to a colonial storyline.
I was kind of hoping for Victorian London though, never mind. Perhaps they thought that was a bit too close to modern times.

Oh and I have to agree with people in the facebook comments and say 'How the hell are the going to do parkour in the undeveloped American countryside...'

:| Perhaps they will have a completely new gameplay style.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Ugh, I knew that this was the most likely setting, but it does feel so lame to me. Perhaps its just because I'm an American, and as such have had the revolutionary war thrown in my face repeatedly since i was 8; but i find very little interesting to explore in that time period. I was really hoping for the French revolution, or something Asian. From a gameplay perspective I'm worried because guns and horse/wagon combat were the worst parts of the previous titles, and i don't see how a setting in the late 1700s can avoid using them heavily.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
SupahGamuh said:
Marshall Honorof said:
Last, but not least, will Assassin's Creed III finally bring some closure to a story that's been cliffhanger after cliffhanger since 2007?
Puhleeze, do you seriously expect this to be the one who ends with a non-cliffhanger?, expect, at least, 2 or 3 more numberless sequels.

OT: While I'm not a fan of the series and this still doesn't make me interested one bit in the series, it's good to see a change of scenery.

Expect to be sick of the American Revolution 2 or 3 years later with more yearly numberless sequels.
Nope Ubisoft has already announced, multiple times, that this one is the end of the Desmond saga

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
It could be that they're aiming to significantly change up the game formula for this; rather than run it as another touched-up ACII build.

Perhaps this game will put less attention on cityscapes and have more of the setting around battlefields and army encampments. If this is the case; it would probably mean a fresh spin on how you go about the gameplay.

I'd certainly welcome that. The current formula was beginning to stale after Revelations.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Saucycarpdog said:
Why does it feel like Ubisoft is getting patriotic all of a sudden? First Rainbow Six Patriots and now this.
Ubisoft ain't american, you know, so I'd hardly call this 'patriotic'.

On topic: Goddamnit, now I have to lose over and over again, if only because out of all the awesome settings and factions the series has had, now it's back to 'merricuh and 'merricuhns, and on top it's one of the many wars they will not shut up about. My only hope is we get to ram a spike into Washington's throat.

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
some preview pics from the other thread that look interesting....

The last one makes me happy because it suggests that this will NOT simple America = good, Brits = Bad mentality.

EDIT: found another one...I got a feeling a lot of the running jumpy clime-y stuff will involve more tree climbing from this, which sounds good and makes since where there are less tall buildings in general.

edit2: and yet another

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
Oh cool, some bullshit from the Assassins creed people. How unexpected!

Beyond the fact that its pretty weird that a Native American would side with the people who had (in the timeline) only recently committed genocide on their people, the fact that assassins are meant to be a neutral party, the fact that this is the only Assassins creed so far that has not only included the assassin killing someone on the cover, but that person is of a recognizable faction and there is OF COURSE an American flag waving in the background...Beyond all that we've got Stupid American gamers asking "What the problem is"?

Christ if this isn't a "Let them eat cake" moment I don't know what is. Maybe i'll go play that game where Americans are the bad guys to calm down, Uhm...What's that game again...i'm sure it actually exists...right...you know, the one where the main hero isn't also an American?

If its not this black and white (and considering the box art It probably IS this black and white, with one or two token American deaths) then i'll stand corrected. I doubt i'll need to endure being corrected.

llew

Sep 9, 2009
WanderingFool said:
Waaghpowa said:
You know CAD called this some time ago... or at least it was colonial times in his comic.

Haha... thats freaking awesome.

Thankfully, while its likely there will be a greater number of firearms in this game, the actual mechanics of the flintlock guns wont cause much problem with gameplay. I think thats the most obvious problem with AC and a possible modern day game; why use swords when you have automatic weapons that work at a distance...
in fairness back then the guns were kinda crap so they still used swords alot

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
WanderingFool said:
why use swords when you have automatic weapons that work at a distance...
Because some cities have been using microphones to pinpoint gunshots.

Not a very good idea for an assassination.

Plus, you don't want full automatic weapons. Not even semi automatics. They eject brass away, that you would prefer to keep inside the gun. A bolt action is cheaper than paying for an automatic firearm and then convert it for precision marksmanship.

If you are using an internally suppressed firearm, you will be botching the gas-operated system and force you to use some kind of "retarded blowback" like the Heckler & Koch's MP5/G3, which is fine for battle rifles and submachine guns but not for assassination weapons.

Therefore a integrally suppressed bolt action rifle will be the superior choice. Or just stab the person, poison him, etc.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
Those screens are looking great.

Appears this guy will (unsuprisingly) stick out like a sore thumb in town and city environments, but blends well with the winter environments.

Perhaps it's going to be a little more MGS-ish this time?

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
honestly, my first reaction on seeing the cover was something like "are we being serious right now? because this looks rediculous".

There are lots of revolutions that have famous assasinations. Ours isn't one of them.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
llew said:
WanderingFool said:
Waaghpowa said:
You know CAD called this some time ago... or at least it was colonial times in his comic.

Haha... thats freaking awesome.

Thankfully, while its likely there will be a greater number of firearms in this game, the actual mechanics of the flintlock guns wont cause much problem with gameplay. I think thats the most obvious problem with AC and a possible modern day game; why use swords when you have automatic weapons that work at a distance...
in fairness back then the guns were kinda crap so they still used swords alot
I know, that what I like about this setting, its still at a time where swords and melee weapons were still important to combat.

ElPatron said:
WanderingFool said:
why use swords when you have automatic weapons that work at a distance...
Because some cities have been using microphones to pinpoint gunshots.

Not a very good idea for an assassination.

Plus, you don't want full automatic weapons. Not even semi automatics. They eject brass away, that you would prefer to keep inside the gun. A bolt action is cheaper than paying for an automatic firearm and then convert it for precision marksmanship.

If you are using an internally suppressed firearm, you will be botching the gas-operated system and force you to use some kind of "retarded blowback" like the Heckler & Koch's MP5/G3, which is fine for battle rifles and submachine guns but not for assassination weapons.

Therefore a integrally suppressed bolt action rifle will be the superior choice. Or just stab the person, poison him, etc.
I was actually talking about the enemies. I doubt Abstirgo will be concerned with gunshot and brass lying around.

Purple Dragon

Dec 19, 2010
i hopee like hell they don't just make the british all evil, or skate over how many colonists sided with the british and the fact most of the native americans did too, I'd like a big conspiracy manipulating both sides like in the first assassin's creed

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Marshall Honorof said:
As for British gamers? Well, here's one more thing to add to your list of grievances with France.
I'm more interested to see whether we'll be able to buy it from Game/Gamestation, to be honest.

Saucycarpdog said:
Why does it feel like Ubisoft is getting patriotic all of a sudden? First Rainbow Six Patriots and now this.

C'est le temps pour la patrie, not Oh say can you see.
I'm hoping we get a lot more Desmond Shaun time. Especially now Lucy's, umm... out of the way. Though I wouldn't be surprised if she gets deus ex machina'd into the Animus somehow... annoyed, but not surprised.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
If they do do an Ezio thing with multiple games starring the same character and one of them involves the nameless Assassin going on the Lewis and Clark expedition, I will be a happy person. A very happy person.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Marshall Honorof said:
As for British gamers? Well, here's one more thing to add to your list of grievances with France.
When did Montreal move to France? Man, those Québécois separatists are way ahead of the curve on this one!