Assassin's Creed III Declares Independence from England

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Keava said:
Jaeke said:
Jabberwock xeno said:
Meh.

I don't see it working well.

As I have pointed out before, Victorian England, the Russian revolution, or the fall of the Aztec empire would work much better.
How at all would the Aztec empire Fall work???? He has Italian Heritage around the start of the 16th century and the fall of the Aztecs was in 1521 so there's about a 00.001% chance of that ever being possible. Im not trying to be mean, I mean Victorian England would be awsome but at least try to consider the lore first mate :)
It was actually stated that Ezio was from completely different bloodline than Altair, only later those two bloodlines joined to become Desmond's bloodline. Can't see reason why other, from previous era's couldn't be part of that mix at all.
They did? I was under the impression they stated that Desmond and Altair are related (even explaining the gap in the family tree in the vault in AC 2), which was also the reason they shared the eagle eye (an hereditary trait)

Ogargd

Nov 7, 2010
I'm still betting (sort of) that the one in present time will be in London, I just think that the low amount of guns in the area would help the game play.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Ogargd said:
I'm still betting (sort of) that the one in present time will be in London, I just think that the low amount of guns in the area would help the game play.
You are kidding, right?!
Saucycarpdog said:
IckleMissMayhem said:
C'est le temps pour la patrie, not Oh say can you see.
You do know that you don't have to be american to be patriotic, right? I was just saying that those two new games from them seemed similar and had patriot themes, that was all.
I suggest you go look up the meanig of the word patriotic. It's not an America-only thing.
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Ultimately, I feel the French or Russian Revolutions would be much more effective settings.
Yup. Even WW2-era France would have been good, with the French-resistance assassins against the Nazi-templars. Oh well. We can but hope and dream.

Yankeedoodles

Sep 10, 2010
TheGroovyMule said:
Damn, was hoping the next one would be the Russian Revolution

But, American Revolution should be very cool as well. Seeing as it has to take place in a major urban centre (without major gameplay tweaks) I'd say it'll likely take place in Philidephia, seeing as you'd be able to interact with Washington, Adams, and maybe have Franklin be the new DiVinci!

Other then that, will guess that the main character is likely going to be part native American. Reason is Philadelphia was founded by William Penn, who fled to America to escape persecution of the Quakers, and wanted to make a place where everyone could worship freely. As well, he created a very good relationship with the local natives as he bought the land from them, despite it being 'granted'.

I'd guess, if the main character is on the American side (likely), he'd have Oneida heritage, as they were one of the two tribes that sided with the Americans, as well, assisted Washington in Valley Forge.
Great reasoning. I was about to type a lot of the same things. The culture and social structure of the Yankees of the North and the Dixies of the South was really just an extension of the old European conformity to hierarchy, religion, etc. in different guises. The Quakers of the Middle Colonies on the other hand seem to share a lot of the same philosophical values as the game's Assassins do: freedom of choice, diversity of opinion, and a strong hostility of hierarchy and coercion in favor of the equality of all people. Shame there aren't really all that many of them anymore really. They were at the forefront of virtually every reform movement in the United States.

I think people are jumping the gun by saying the new character is a Native American though. I don't think Ubisoft has decided itself yet. Look at the pictures on this website:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/01/april-cover-revealed-assassin-39-s-creed-iii.aspx
Sure the guy in the fourth picture down seems to have the strong cheekbones and coloring of a Native American but the other pictures make it look like he has the full lips and broad rounded nose of an African. Maybe the guy is a freed slave? That would make more sense motivation-wise.

Also hope they don't go overboard with the Founding Fathers as Templars story. George Washington actually fairs pretty well when judged by modern values. He was one the few Founders who actually freed his slaves instead of talking about it like a hypocrite (Jefferson and Madison) and, let's face it, he probably could have been a lifelong "president" if he really wanted to instead of giving up power in disgust after only two terms.

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched about this! I was kind of hoping for the French Revolution. Since they happen so close to each other maybe a later game takes us there with this same character.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
hermes200 said:
Keava said:
It was actually stated that Ezio was from completely different bloodline than Altair, only later those two bloodlines joined to become Desmond's bloodline. Can't see reason why other, from previous era's couldn't be part of that mix at all.
They did? I was under the impression they stated that Desmond and Altair are related (even explaining the gap in the family tree in the vault in AC 2), which was also the reason they shared the eagle eye (an hereditary trait)
Yes. Desmond is related to Altair and Ezio. But Ezio is not related to Altair. It was explained in Q&A with Darby McDevitt [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRECzx4NxmI], Lead Scriptwriter for the series. He even states that from character building perspective They wanted Desmond's bloodline to be mixture of various great assassin's bloodlines giving him more variety.

Imagine a family tree. On left You have Altair's bloodline, on right You have Ezio's family, and somewhere down the history line They meet and begin Desmond's bloodline.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
Rumours are about that the game has a completely new engine and combat system. The stealth will also be completely revamped.

Sounds very much like they've been working on this in the background since ACII. Countryside will be the setting of about a 3rd of the game and is 1.5 times the size of Rome in Brotherhood. Boston and New York are mentioned as locations.

The Assassin will be able to hunt the fauna for resources. (pelts and horns, I guess?)

This info is still unconfirmed hearsay at this point in time.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Those Frogs attempting another crack at the English? where is Richard Sharpe when you need him? Though that aside, even as a Brit I'm not really too fused though I do hope the game takes a more neutral standpoint like it as with the other games rather than just being simply aimed straight at the English.

superdelux

Apr 29, 2011
I am disappoint. North American architecture in that era doesn't really compare to some European cities. Ultimately, I feel the French or Russian Revolutions would be much more effective settings.
Based on a few screen shots I've seen this one looks to have a big open forest so I think it evens out.

hermes200 said:
I am disappoint. North American architecture in that era doesn't really compare to some European cities. Ultimately, I feel the French or Russian Revolutions would be much more effective settings.
They can still release Assassins Creed: Revengeance in 2013, where the new protagonist travels to France to fight in the French Revolution.
Then, in 2014, they can release Assassins Creed: Resignation, where the protagonist joins the Napoleonic troops to fight against the Russian Empire, thus creating two games with the settings the gamers are requesting and repeating the cycle of false sequels in preparation for a proper Assassins Creed 4.
I don't think so, Ubisoft said there ending the main trilogy this year because the climax of the series is supposed to happen December 2012, so they want to wrap it up before then. After that they can do whatever the hell the want, wherever the hell they want, whenever the hell they want.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
maninahat said:
Saucycarpdog said:
IckleMissMayhem said:

C'est le temps pour la patrie, not Oh say can you see.

You do know that you don't have to be american to be patriotic, right? I was just saying that those two new games from them seemed similar and had patriot themes, that was all.
And you've still missed the point. "Patriotic" is not a purely American quality which pertains purely to American history. There is nothing patriotic about a French company portraying pro-American games. Quite the opposite, considering patriotic French tend to dislike Americans.
Your missing my point here. The games themselves have patriotic themes, not the developers.

And btw, putting a facepalm screen to respond isn't a great way to argue with someone. It's great for insulting though.

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
There's some new information about the game now...from g4tv.com

"The hero is named Connor/Ratohnhake:ton (pronounced Ra-doon-ha-gay-doo). He's half English and half Mohawk Indian. You will experience Connor's childhood on the frontier. The Mohawk clash with white colonists who burn their village down, causing Connor to dedicate his life to confronting tyranny and injustice. The overall story is still centered around the Assassins versus the Templars and Connor's journey.

-The game is set between the years 1753-1783 around Boston and New York. You'll meet George Washington -- one of the game's main characters -- as well as Ben Franklin, who is apparently not a "convenient inventor" like da Vinci in past Assassin's Creed games. Another main character is the mysterious Charles Lee. We don't know anything about him at all.

-Here are some of the events we can expect: "You will see the great fire of New York. You will visit Valley Forge as a location that is currently occupied by Washington's forces. You will visit these places in the moment that they were important."

-A lot of the actual gameplay centers on The Frontier, a huge area of wilderness that is 1.5 times bigger than all of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. When in the frontier, you'll meet up with all kinds of gameplay elements, including hunting and pelt gathering (shades of Red Dead Redemption), and villages -- Colonial and Native American alike. The wilderness traversal plays a big part in the gameplay in the Frontier. You use trees, cliffs, ledges, and more to set up kills and combat. Connor does have a hidden blade.

-The city scenes are more detailed than previous Assassin's Creed games, with full crowds of people doing different, mundane tasks, and the city seeming to react to players' actions.

-Leveling System:

"Imagine a leveling system in an RPG, except there's a finite amount of XP to find. The more in-sync you get, the more you fill your sync bar. Within each mission, each activity you complete has a value". You can replay everything to increase your score.

There is reportedly something resembling the Brotherhood system of picking up fellow assassins. Aligned groups are gone, but something new is replacing them in regards to factions. There's a new notoriety system that is more hidden and doesn't penalize you for exploring risky areas. The game has fast travel because the game has more traveling. It's a huge map.

Multiplayer: No word yet on the multiplayer.

-Combat:

The tomahawk and knife are a "constant presence" in battle. They let you do double counters and multiple takedowns, as well as chain kills.

There's no more target locking. Counter/defense are the same button to prevent defensive turtling.

You can use human shields and other context sensitive moves.

There are lots of secondary attacks like the one shot pistol on the Y button.

There's a new dynamic camera to track the action and make it look as cinematic as possible.

There is a new sprinting system also, so you can hold the button to instantly turn around and start fleeing from combat. They also let you kill people while still moving so you can keep chasing a target."

from http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/721351/assassins-creed-3-details-leak-gameplay-characters-settings-weapons-and-more-revealed/

Now that i have read the ACTUAL details as oppose to just making speculating from the box art i am get a lot more excited than before.

In fact based on this my initial worry about it being the same game as the last couple with just an American revolution atheistic and no real innovation has lessened considerably.

El Dwarfio

Jan 30, 2012
Kabhaq said:
Weren't some of the Founding Fathers associated with the Free-Masons, which were derivative of the Knights Templar?
Exactly, and furthermore, if he is native american, as many people are suggesting, surely he would be fighting with the British against the Americans?

Edit: Despite the non-sensicle history, the game does look pretty cool, still think america civil war would have been better though :p

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Do they pick the most boring and overdone periods in history on purpose.

I always go into assassins creed games expecting them to be semi-good. They never, ever are...

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
SilverUchiha said:
Honestly, I was hoping for French Revolution instead (and I'm American too). It seems far more intersting and dark than the American revolution. Plus, with how chaotic and stupid things got in the FR, I can see the templars having a lot of different angels to work with to make their appearance at the event seem plausible. American Revolution... meh. Not bad, but I think it limits the writers a lot more than what the French Revolution would allow.
Oh, I would have loved to have it take place in the French Revolution. It seems more perfect for the occasion than the American Revolution. More of a gritty, bloody setting with a hell of a lot more grey areas. Damn, just imagining it makes me want to play it...

Or maybe it's just because American history=boring/run away/overplayed for me....

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Meh, I lost interest in Ass Creed a few years ago, you know when the characters dipped into uncanny valley.

It looks like it could be a decent game, but is it worth it?

Oh and as an Englishman I don't give a flying monkeys who the bad guy is, as long as it's not Hitler... Again.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Darth_Dude said:
I don't know if the city traversing will be up to scratch. I don't know much about 18th century American cities, but I'm under the impression that they were mostly wooden. Also, most of the famous landmarks weren't built up to that point.
Cities like Boston were decently expansive, and there were many colonies surrounding MA Bay Colony. It could work, as buildings were built to a decent height. After 2 hundred years of colonization, structures improve drastically. It wasn't the romanticized living that it was often made out to be.

El Dwarfio said:
Not all Natives sided with the British. In the northern colonies, many natives stayed out of the war hoping that the sides would destroy each other and they could reclaim their land. If not, they would have already been either enslaved or integrated into colonial life. It was mostly the Southern colonies in which the British used the natives to their advantage. If this character is actually a Native American, he would be against both sides.

I'm doubtful he will be a Native, as that would make it difficult to retain the Notoriety system used in II-Revelations. Prim and proper Native Americans were not exactly commonplace. I predict he'll be a British loyalist turned Revolutionary spurned by one event or another.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
Robert Ewing said:
Do they pick the most boring and overdone periods in history on purpose.
/sarcasm Yeah, because there's a TON of games that take place during the American revolution.

Seriously, name some.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
I've NEVER bought an AC game (Possibly because I find them repetitive and also because Ubisoft are twats) yet I've been given the newest release for christmas or birthday every year.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful but "I DONT LIKE UBISOFT GAMES MUM AND DAD. STOP BUYING ME THESE GAMES!".

Christmas 2012: "Assassins Creed 3 *Puts on fake surprised/happy face* Thanks mum and dad it's just what I wanted! I'm gonna go play it now :D" *Goes upstairs*
[sub][sub][sub]"FOR. FUCK. SAKE!"[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
I think this is a covert history lesson planned by the American historical society to trick learning the learning of American heritage into their citizens.

Having read through the game detail leak via Game Informer; the following details interest me the most:

Connor Ratohnhak is half English half native, meaning I imagine targets on both sides to be presented, along with possibly a choice of who to assassinate later in the game (between a target on either side). This is backed by the statement: "Not all the Colonists will be cast as good people, and not all the British will be cast as evil oppressors. They're trying to focus on how both the Assassins and Templars viewpoints exist in a gray morality as the Templars really believe they're saving the world."

There will be all sorts of wilderness in the game referred to as the Frontier. Accompanied by the screenshots showing trekking through snow and lying await in the treeline above camps, this excites me a lot. The idea that you'll always have to aware lest you stumble upon enemy forces is very exciting, and an organic world built for Assassin's Creed gameplay excites me more than architecture.

You can hunt animals for resources, and how you kill them effects your reward. A one hit kill on a bear gets you a much more valuable pelt than stabbing it eight times. Hunting was once of the aspects of Red Dead Redemption that kept me coming back.

There are around 2.5 hours of character scenes in the game that are fully acted and recorded. They mean this in Naughty Dog style where they have the actors being mocaped while performing on a set that resembles the scene in the game.

They're aiming for accuracy by having historical dialog consultants and actual Native American actors.

Accompanied by the screenshot of Connor riding a horse by I presume George Washington, the attention to detail and movie like scenes that will feature are a very exciting prospect.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Marshall Honorof said:
Assassin's Creed III Declares Independence from England
This is exactly the bullshit I was talking about in an earlier post;

That PC boxart speaks volumes, wonder how sales will do in England (because you know when people say British they actually mean the mean English, not the poor oppressed Welsh, Scots, and Irish)...
Anti-English bigotry alive and well, even on an official outlet of the Escapist. Classy.

(Just in case you still don't get it, the US declared independence from The Kingdom of GREAT BRITAIN, not England)