Assassin's Creed III Declares Independence from England

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Vuljatar said:
Robert Ewing said:
Do they pick the most boring and overdone periods in history on purpose.
/sarcasm Yeah, because there's a TON of games that take place during the American revolution.

Seriously, name some.
Have you never played any RTS titles?

somethingprofound

Apr 16, 2009
I just hope they have the token disillusioned drunken British gentleman/brawler/dockworker who you become fast friends with after a brawl/drinking contest... Because that's how these things work right?

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Holy shit finally.

I just hope this will be the last game in the series, considering that 12/21/2012 date is coming up in the story and that's presumably when the series' climax will take place.

Scratch that, apparently the last game in the series will focus entirely on Desmond. And by the looks of it the next game will be released after 2012. Oh well.

SCRATCH THAT AGAIN. Reports can't seem to make up their mind.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
Robert Ewing said:
Vuljatar said:
Robert Ewing said:
/sarcasm Yeah, because there's a TON of games that take place during the American revolution.

Seriously, name some.
Sure. I think one of them partly used this time period. I can't remember it's name, though.

If you could go ahead and give a list of all the games that take place in this period that make it so "overdone", that would be great. It's a stretch to count strategy games at all, since they're such a completely different genre they don't seem very relevant to this conversation.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Vuljatar said:
Robert Ewing said:
Vuljatar said:
Robert Ewing said:

Seriously, name some.
Sure. I think one of them partly used this time period. I can't remember it's name, though.

If you could go ahead and give a list of all the games that take place in this period that make it so "overdone", that would be great. It's a stretch to count strategy games at all, since they're such a completely different genre they don't seem very relevant to this conversation.
Empire: Total War and Age of Empires 3 are the only two games I can think of, and even then the American Revolution is but one piece of a greater whole and they hardly revolve around it. Hardly "overdone". I'm thinking he was just trying to find some reason to be a downer on this announcement.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
If I am to play as a Native American, that would be so damn awesome!! I am part Native American. I still want tall buildings though, and this locale does not feature tall buildings. I'm very curious. The combat will probably be awesome since Native Americans are crazy with their fighting and it will probably delve heavily into the lore of the game since their kind did that obsessively.

I want you Assassin's Creed III!!!!! I want you NAO!!!!

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Ubisoft, Ubisoft, Ubisoft. Please make some spinoff titles? Japan. Egypt. Female assassins. A proper open-world assassination game. No Desmond.

...Please?

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
Here's hoping there's no teary-eyed patriotic 'founding of the glorious land of freedom in the face of the evil Brits' in this. It would be nice to see the founding fathers portrayed as the slavers and scumbags that they, you know, actually were for once.

Not that I'm saying side with the Empire and make them look like the saints they weren't - just don't go all excessive on the 'God bless America'.

(You know, like sticking the flag on the cover.)

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
LordFisheh said:
Here's hoping there's no teary-eyed patriotic 'founding of the glorious land of freedom in the face of the evil Brits' in this. It would be nice to see the founding fathers portrayed as the slavers and scumbags that they, you know, actually were for once.
It's one thing to want a more ambiguous take on the war (understandable from a Brit, even though the war wasn't exactly that ambiguous), it's an entirely different matter to call the founding fathers scumbags. That kind of offensive and deliberately inflammatory language has no place on this forum. And need I remind you that slavery was practiced in Britain until 1833? It was a dark time in human history, and placing blame for it on America only makes you look more the fool.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Vuljatar said:
LordFisheh said:
It's one thing to want a more ambiguous take on the war (understandable from a Brit, even though the war wasn't exactly that ambiguous), it's an entirely different matter to call the founding fathers scumbags. That kind of offensive and deliberately inflammatory language has no place on this forum. And need I remind you that slavery was practiced in Britain until 1833? It was a dark time in human history, and placing blame for it on America only makes you look more the fool.
Oh? Do go on about how it "wasn't that ambiguous." It's not like the revolutionaries pulled shit like butchering unarmed loyalists and hypocritically allying with absolute monarchies even more tyrannical than the vilified King George III. OH WAIT!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I'm predicting the history fail of colonists having modern "American" accents. Seems like my prediction of Ben Franklin being quartermaster is going to fall through, but I feel confident on the accent thing.

El Danny

Dec 7, 2008
Bugger.

So close, yet so far to the Revolutionary France I was hoping for.

Personally underwhelmed :(.

France would've been so much cooler, it was in the centre of almost everything, and what it wasn't in the centre of, it was deeply involved while apart from the odd war here and there USA just sat there, compared to Europe USA has one of the most boring pre-20th century histories. Plus I just can't see log cabins being that great for free-running.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
Vuljatar said:
LordFisheh said:
I never said that we Brits weren't scumbagas as well. I'd love to see the ambiguous setting that there was in real life in game. Perhaps I was a bit inflammatory, but national heroes do tend to irk me. I'm British, and I can't stand how everyone conveniently forgets that Churchill was an imperialist who wanted to continue oppressing half the world - or that many of the founding fathers were slavers with a penchant for butchering the natives.

CyanideSandwich

Aug 5, 2010
I'm just glad to be killing people who aren't considered a minority for a nice change of pace. We always had people with foreign accents shouting "Assassino!" and such, but now I get to kill people who have the same (well, similar) accent and ancestry as myself. For some reason, I see that as a good thing.

EDIT: I see the countdown will end in about 5 hours. If I'm to catch it, I'd need to stay up until 3 am... and I need to be up at 7...

CyanideSandwich

Aug 5, 2010
Elmoth said:
I was hesitant about this setting, but I can get behind it.
However I've lost interest in Assassin's creed since 2. I know they'll never go back to the way they did Assassin's creed 1 so I've got no reason to finish 2.
Since 2, the story's lacked a little, but thegameplay gets even better each time. I would recommend playing through the rest of the Ezio instalments if not for the WTF endings, but to see Ezio become an unstoppable badass, instead of the whiney twat he was in Assassin's Creed 2.

Arbi Trax

Jul 13, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
"Assassin's Creed III Declares Independence from England"

You mean Britain, right? Or are you getting the American revolution confused with Braveheart....
Well, Scotland isn't talking to us at the moment, and Wales stopped calling a while back. So it's basically us and Northern Ireland - and they only hang around out of politeness...

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Arbi Trax said:
ph0b0s123 said:

You mean Britain, right? Or are you getting the American revolution confused with Braveheart....
Well, Scotland isn't talking to us at the moment, and Wales stopped calling a while back. So it's basically us and Northern Ireland - and they only hang around out of politeness...
Yes, but back then it was Britain causing the Americans trouble, not England on it's own. Or is it when people are proud, it's Britain, when people are talking about bad things, it's England. Like it or not Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland all get their share of shame for the bad things Britain might have done it the past, not just England.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
You know CAD called this some time ago... or at least it was colonial times in his comic.

Unfortunately, they didn't see the need to change up the gender. So basically, we'll likely be getting Ezio again, just with a different name and time period. Fantastic.

Though, I guess it does kind of make sense. They're tending to stick with idea that Desmond's ancestors look just like him, so I suppose they get a pass this time.

Still I wouldn't mind changing it up a bit. Being able to control a female assassin (outside of MP) would be bad ass.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
Arbi Trax said:
ph0b0s123 said:

Yes, but back then it was Britain causing the Americans trouble, not England on it's own. Or is it when people are proud, it's Britain, when people are talking about bad things, it's England. Like it or not Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland all get their share of shame for the bad things Britain might have done it the past, not just England.
It's the price we pay for having such a sexy accent.

OT: Big woop, seems like a slightly above average game with lots of content.
Bit naffed about the promotional material, but hey, hopefully the game WILL actually be Templarz vs assazinz rather than 'MERICUH vs those moustache twiddling darstards.