Assassin's Creed III Declares Independence from England

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Ilikemilkshake said:
Khanht Cope said:
^ I think you're on to something.

All the art work I've just seen here:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/01/april-cover-revealed-assassin-39-s-creed-iii.aspx

Hints unambiguously toward the Assassin fighting on the side of the Revolution.

It raises some speculative issues; given that the series had linked the founding fathers and post-revolution America with the Templars up until this point.
Im gonna be pretty pissed off if the game basically turns into the movie The Patriot
For one thing the founding fathers are supposed to be Templars in AC lore so i don't understand why it would be a one sided fight against the British.
Also if the character is a Native Indian and they're using that as the reason for getting involved in the conflict, i thought most tribes sided with the British.. so again it doesn't make much sense.
And my final problem with this is the lack of decent architecture... it'll be interesting to see how they get past this.
Because the assassin doesn't know. So far Desmond's ancestors have foiled the Templars plots, so maybe (hopefully) the Templars use the assassin in they overall game and in the end it's to late for him to stop it.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Oh God... THAT game again. So finally the British have popped up and I am not in the least bit interested. Ubisoft killed Assassin's Creed with the needless Revelations and now I just don't care any more.

This is what happens when you let publishers control your franchise. I mean look at Halo, even Bungie had the common sense to walk away. But Microsoft just won't let it be.

AC10 said:
Marshall Honorof said:
As for British gamers? Well, here's one more thing to add to your list of grievances with France.
When did Montreal move to France? Man, those Québécois separatists are way ahead of the curve on this one!
I think he was merely refering to the fact that Ubisoft as a publisher are a French company.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
The Artificially Prolonged said:
He does seem to stand out a bit dressed in white.

Interesting setting but can we please not have all the templars be british, I would like the story to at least not as black and white as that.
Ubisoft usually aren't if the past games are any indication.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I guess Ubisoft rightly determined that nobody would buy a game set in France, because honestly the French Revolution would be so much more interesting a setting.

At the very least, I hope the game starts out in the earlier stages, or even before the revolution's first official battles. If I'm going to commit to a less interesting revolution, I at least want some damned intrigue and momentum.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
As an American, I'm kind of psyched. I don't care if King George or George Washington are templars. It's the American Revolution! To be fair Europe had the last three games (one of which is numbered), plus some Middle East work. I think it comes out OK. Plus, you can kind of trace the end of Colonialism to this (even though it's a long time dying). So I'm eager to see what goes down.

NeuroticDogDad

Apr 28, 2010
Sky Captanio said:
I get the terrible feeling that Britain is going to want to ban this.
Makes sense. We as a nation do despise being made the antagonists. After all, we did ban The Patriot, Killzone, Star Wars, Pirates of the Carribean, etc.

...oh wait. :D

Anyway, I don't believe the British are going to be the sole antagonists or even the main ones. Since George Washington has already been established as a Templar and having at one point owned an Apple of Eden what I'm reckon will have actually happened is that the colonials were sent out to find the Apple and once they did they decided to keep it thus instigating the war. I'm imagining that since there are so many nations involved (British Empire, Rebel Scum, Spanish, French) they will hear of the news and join in the fight because their leaders are Templars fighting each other for power or simply power mad rulers who believe the tales. Therefore, everyone gets a Tomahawk to the larynx.

The bit that I hope they've changed is the fighting style. I don't have a huge problem with the combo ideas but Ezio fought with a bit of a flourish that I don't think would suit a man with an axe. So while I hope it still flows I don't particularly want to see this guy twirling and ducking as much.

Not that it matters. I'm going to buy it and love it because I'm an AC whore. I'm not even ashamed of it.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
You know CAD called this some time ago... or at least it was colonial times in his comic.
So much awesomeness in that pic... can't wait for AC3 :D

OT: Will be nice to get away from Italy as well. I LOVED Ezio's storyline and everything, but I was hoping they'd do a different period with each installment. I don't blame them for dragging Ezio's story out a bit (it's a cash in, but the games were good and that's all that matters imo), but really loving the fact they're finally moving on.

Wonder what the story will be. The period definitely has a lot of room for conspiracy theories, but if I'm not mistaken, colonial America didn't have a lot of buildings to go climbing atop of, did it? When I think about that period, it's mostly war in open spaces with temporary forts and settlements, not the heavily packed rural settings we're used to. Feel free to correct me though, I could be completely off the mark on this one.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
My British patriotism wants to call foul, but then I think all will be forgiven if they show that it's not purely Britain = bad, America = good. Also if they have at 1 point the main character saying "I fart in your general direction".

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
"Assassin's Creed III Declares Independence from England"

You mean Britain, right? Or are you getting the American revolution confused with Braveheart....

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
A friend raised a a god point today. There weren't that many tall buildings. I mean, compared to like Rome or Italy, buildings back then weren't so big.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I'm worried about an Assassin's Creed game taking place in colonial America. I'm pretty sure that's the point when all the roofs stop being flat.
However, the wide usage of guns may force Ubisoft to create a reloading mechanic, where you can't just keep on shooting without spending a minimum of twenty seconds preparing the next shot. I can think of a lot of great fight scenes in movies based entirely upon that concept, where the protagonist does really well because he not only brought three guns with him, but he also had some sort of knife for when everyone had fired their one shot.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
IckleMissMayhem said:

C'est le temps pour la patrie, not Oh say can you see.

You do know that you don't have to be american to be patriotic, right? I was just saying that those two new games from them seemed similar and had patriot themes, that was all.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Saucycarpdog said:
Why does it feel like Ubisoft is getting patriotic all of a sudden? First Rainbow Six Patriots and now this.
If it were patriotic, it would be set in Revolutionary France or the 2nd world war 5th columnists.

I think it should work alright. Guns aren't too precise that they will ruin the out-in-the-open, free running mechanics, whilst still offering a slight challenge. And the series needs to move to America eventually, anyway...

As for it being a Brit killing game, I don't mind too much (par for the course), though I'm interested in how they do the accents. Portrayals of the American Revolution invariably portray the British with modern Queens English/cockney, whilst the Americans have modern American accents. Doesn't make a lick of sense, and it would be nice if Asscreed challenged that bit of historical inaccuracy at least.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Jabberwock xeno said:
Meh.

I don't see it working well.

As I have pointed out before, Victorian England, the Russian revolution, or the fall of the Aztec empire would work much better.
How at all would the Aztec empire Fall work???? He has Italian Heritage around the start of the 16th century and the fall of the Aztecs was in 1521 so there's about a 00.001% chance of that ever being possible. Im not trying to be mean, I mean Victorian England would be awsome but at least try to consider the lore first mate :)

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Saucycarpdog said:
IckleMissMayhem said:

C'est le temps pour la patrie, not Oh say can you see.

You do know that you don't have to be american to be patriotic, right? I was just saying that those two new games from them seemed similar and had patriot themes, that was all.
And you've still missed the point. "Patriotic" is not a purely American quality which pertains purely to American history. There is nothing patriotic about a French company portraying pro-American games. Quite the opposite, considering patriotic French tend to dislike Americans.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Marshall Honorof said:
Assassin's Creed III Declares Independence from England

The box art for Assassin's Creed III reveals that Desmond's next ancestor will fight for independence in the American Revolution.

There's a lot of bad blood between the Americans and the French these days. The Americans tend to think of their Francophone allies as cheese-eating surrender monkeys [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rJAw-fuYHk] while the French view the Yanks as belligerent cowboys. Oh, there have been good times: The Statue of Liberty is a gift from the French, after all, and without them, we'd have lost the Revolutionary War and we'd all be speaking, well, English (British English!) right now. French developer Ubisoft has recently extended a potential olive branch with the box art reveal for Assassin's Creed III, the latest entry in its hit open-world action series. The artwork confirms that the story in the new title will take place during the American Revolution, pitching a legendary Assassin against an army of Redcoats.

The box depicts an white-clad Assassin (probably an ancestor of series framing device, Desmond Miles), tomahawk in hand, leaping atop a British soldier with Betsy Ross's original American flag flying high over clashing British and Colonial forces in the background. While the artwork does confirm the setting for the new installment, it raises a plethora of questions: Who is the new Assassin? Is he a Native American, a Colonial, a Frenchman, or something else? What weapons will he employ? Will the American Revolution be the whole story, or part of a larger narrative arc? Last, but not least, will Assassin's Creed III finally bring some closure to a story that's been cliffhanger after cliffhanger since 2007?

Interested parties should probably keep an eye on an official Ubisoft countdown [http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/ac/en-US/index.aspx] for more information. The game is currently slated for October 30, 2012, so all Patriots are advised to load their muskets, keep an eye out for the Lobsterbacks, and not pay any exorbitant taxes on tea or stamps until then.

As for British gamers? Well, here's one more thing to add to your list of grievances with France.

Source: Assassin's Creed Official Facebook Page [http://www.facebook.com/assassinscreed?ref=ts]

to be fair, the french don't like the British, so this is likely less 'olive branch' and more a middle finder to the brits

ether way, nice to see its FINALLY moving along, maybe no we'll have a main character who's name i can actually fucking PRONOUNCE with out a road map

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Jaeke said:
Jabberwock xeno said:
Meh.

I don't see it working well.

As I have pointed out before, Victorian England, the Russian revolution, or the fall of the Aztec empire would work much better.
How at all would the Aztec empire Fall work???? He has Italian Heritage around the start of the 16th century and the fall of the Aztecs was in 1521 so there's about a 00.001% chance of that ever being possible. Im not trying to be mean, I mean Victorian England would be awsome but at least try to consider the lore first mate :)
It was actually stated that Ezio was from completely different bloodline than Altair, only later those two bloodlines joined to become Desmond's bloodline. Can't see reason why other, from previous era's couldn't be part of that mix at all.

Dec 27, 2010
I am disappoint. North American architecture in that era doesn't really compare to some European cities. Ultimately, I feel the French or Russian Revolutions would be much more effective settings.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
I was thinking that this was a weird setting due to the lackt of tall buildings, but this might be a great way to realign assassin's creed with stealth gameplay, rather than just Batman: Arkham Citidel.

Maybe instead of just climbing rooftops you have to hide in forests and inside buildings, it also probably wont hurt that soldiers can kill you w/ one shot.

Besides, if the changes makes reactionary gamers butthurt, they can just make Assassin's Creed III: Revanches and set it 10 years later climbing rooftops in Revolutionary France

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
I am disappoint. North American architecture in that era doesn't really compare to some European cities. Ultimately, I feel the French or Russian Revolutions would be much more effective settings.
They can still release Assassins Creed: Revengeance in 2013, where the new protagonist travels to France to fight in the French Revolution.
Then, in 2014, they can release Assassins Creed: Resignation, where the protagonist joins the Napoleonic troops to fight against the Russian Empire, thus creating two games with the settings the gamers are requesting and repeating the cycle of false sequels in preparation for a proper Assassins Creed 4.