Assassin's Creed III Dev Says Easy Mode Ruins Games

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Assassin's Creed III Dev Says Easy Mode Ruins Games

Lead designer Alex Hutchinson thinks easy modes represent the "worst possible version" of a game.

Recently, the director of Dark Souls was thinking of preparing an easier version of the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119407-Dark-Souls-Director-Considers-an-Easier-Option] to avoid alienating players who were turned off by its extreme difficulty. On the other hand, some team members from Assassin's Creed III are voicing an alternative opinion; they believe that the inclusion of an easy mode often ruins the game entirely.

Lead designer Alex Hutchinson claimed in a recent interview that it represents the worst possible version of a finished product. "A lot of games have been ruined by easy modes," he says. "If you have a cover shooter and you switch it to easy and you don't have to use cover, you kind of broke your game."

He goes on to state that it is a problem unique to videogames, and he believes that it is the only creative industry to provide difficulty options for its content. He uses literature as an example: "It's like if I picked up a book and it said, 'Do you want the easy version or the complicated version?' (Game designers) can simplify the language, you know; we can make it two syllables."

Lead gameplay designer Steven Masters later clarified that, in light of these comments, Assassin's Creed III was not going to be too challenging, revealing that the game was undergoing rigorous playtesting to "fine tune" its difficulty balancing.

"We're not trying to make a brutally difficult game, so we go through all the playtest data and make sure it works," he says.

Yes, it is true that a game's easy mode can potentially allow players to disregard certain gameplay elements, like taking cover and countering attacks, but giving players the choice to do so is a good thing. After all, not everyone necessarily prefers to suffer numerous defeats before finally feeling a sense of accomplishment.

Source: Edge Online [http://www.edge-online.com/news/assassins-creed-iii-devs-easy-mode-often-ruins-games]

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I think I get it

But assasins creed (the later ones) felt too "easy" in that if I screwed up I could jsut hack and slash my way out...or use a smoke bomb or whatever...not much sense of acheivment there

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Funny, considering that the Assassin's Creed games have been stuck in "easy mode" since from about halfway through the first game.

"Here, have three different weapons that all basically do the same thing, insta-kills, disarm insta kills, chain-insta-kills, four different ways to kill silently -three of them from range, get-out-of-fuck-up-free smoke bombs, NPC support, an insta-kill-everything-in-sight button, more health upgrades then you can shake a stick at, ten full health potions and, finally, twenty different kinds of grenade."

"Oh, and easy mode ruins games."

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
That from the dev of AC, a game series where combat can be summed up as "block-counter-repeat". Also, a game series where the main characters are unstoppable juggernauts, so much that stealth is only worth it for self-satisfaction.

DISCLAIMER: I played all of the games and loved them. With a possible exception of Revelations.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That is one of the more pants on head retarded things that I've read today.

The comparison to books was absolutely ridiculous. It's like the man has never read a book in his life.

Add to that the fact that the Assassin's Creed series is one of the easiest series of games I've ever played, and I half think that the developers are simply trolling.

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
Yeah, basically what everyone else has been saying. They may not have an "easy mode" in AssCreed, but the game it's self is so fucking easy that it doesn't matter!

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Easy mode only ruins the game if you choose to play it; the majority of gamers make their first play on normal mode as it is. His analogy is also kinda stupid. Other mediums don't have difficulty settings because there's no need for them. Story progression in a book or movie doesn't stop because the viewer/reader isn't skilled enough to get passed a word or perform an action sequence.

Some people play games for just the story and see the gameplay as extra immersion in that story, other play games for purely the challenge regardless of story. An easy setting doesn't devalue the rest of the game if your goal is to tell a story with gameplay used as an immersion tool (like the AC games do); you're letting less skilled players get the story while increasing their skill with games as a whole. An easy mode can only devalue your game if your goal was to make a game centered solely on the challenge because that would be taking away the entire point of the game.

By the way they do make easier versions of "hard books" it's called the abridged version, and that is devaluing the work because they've actually removed large chunks of the complete book. Easy modes still deliver the same game, it's just tuned to be more forgiving to crappy players and children.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
I'd say it's none of your business how I prefer to play my games, thank you very much, Mr. Hutchinson.

I usually play most games on the easiest difficulty setting - with two exceptions coming to mind:

1st, if any content is sacrificed for a lower difficulty, I will select the lowest difficulty setting that allows me to experience the full game, for example the "hard mode" of the Monkey Island games.

2nd, if the "hard" difficulty setting is actually better suited to my playstyle and makes the game actually easier - I'm thinking of Deus Ex: Human Recolution here, where a higher difficulty did nothing to the enemies' awareness and perception but drastically increased XP rewards thus making a stealth run a piece of cake.

The reason? I get a feeling of accomplishment from playing a video game as much as I get that from watching a movie or reading a book. I play video games to kick back and relax after an 8-10 hour work day and two 2 hour train rides, and I really don't enjoy restarting from the last checkpoint over and over again. This is especially grating when the developer doesn't believe in saving the game and checkpoints are few and far apart. And always right before an unskippable cutscene.

I'll add this to the list of many things that irk me about AssCreed III. Shame, I loved each and every game of the series, up to and including Revelations.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Wait, dont certain books (more classical ones I think, I dont read much) have a more "aproachable" version with a more modern style of writting?

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
The key is to offer substantial rewards, objectives, and area unlocks only acessible in higher difficulty settings. It's not enough to just make it harder to get through- the player has to actively want to go through on a harder setting, to get to the juicy goodies unlocked within.

Now more than ever, games need that carrot on a stick to get today's lazy ass, 5 second attention span player base to get though their games. Such a shame this has manifested in the form of multiplayer unlocks...

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol. AC2, brotherhood and revelations are pretty easy, wile in part one you actually had a challenge, that running away from a small army was the only way to survive.
but i still enjoy all AC games and im eager for part 3.

having different modes is always a good thing to add in to games. if someone wants to play it in easy, so what. not everyone is an experience player.
let the people decide how they want to play the game. we dont need anyone telling the others they cant play it in easy mode. getting stuck at one place for 50x is no fun either.

oh ubisoft. you sure make good games, but your logic is absolutely retarded.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
I'm going to be unique and say that even though he has a point, Assassins Creed is one of the easiest games that exist. Even if they are very fun to play, they're still ridiculously easy. Easier than... let say... YO MOMMA !!!!!! OH NO I DI-ENT

Sorry, i was dropped when I was a baby

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I think Assassin's Creed needs a hard mode to be honest. I like it when games are challenging and I agree with him there. If this had been said by someone working on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games I would have understood why they despise easy mode seeing as easy in those games still kill me.

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
=/ what is he smoking about?

Maybe those consumers don't want to use your cover system and a certain mode grants them that ideal? What's wrong giving them options? You need to force feed your hard work at them to "appreciate" the amount of effort you put into the more complex mechanics?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The entitlement and insularity in his entire thesis is nauseating, honestly - this is one of the #1 things wrong with this industry: Development teams run by people who've been playing games their whole lives, making games EXCLUSIVELY for people with the same experience. Newcomers? Novices? Different skill-levels and learning-curves? "Bah! Who cares!? OUR game is teh hardcorez!"

Oh, and Mr. Hutchinson? They DO make "easy versions" of books - they're called books on tape, and they exist for the precise reason that someone thought making an artistic/narrative experience as accessible as possible to the widest audience possible was a good thing. Imaigne that.