Assassin's Creed III Dev Says Easy Mode Ruins Games

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
It really is amazing, the challenge in assassins creed is almost non-existent, except for the really cheap enemies in the last one where you either need to schedule an appointment to kill them with your sword or shoot them in the face.

nexus

May 30, 2012
I like Assassin's Creed, I really do. When you want to get immersed for a few days, yea.. it's good for that.

But damn would that game be better if it offered some sort of "Hardcore" mode, where you actually had to be careful, stalk your targets, be stealthy, etc. Whatever they can include to make the margin for error razor-thin. Something other than, "I'm pretending to be a sneaky assassin and I can kill the entire city with counterattacks."

Some people say: "Well don't use counterattacks, there you go - a self-disciplined hard mode." That's all well and good, but counterattacks are the coolest part of the game. . . -_-

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Says the guy whose game was easier than making scrambled eggs. For real?

The only thing that might bother me about easy modes, as a trophy whore, is that I have to play it in order to achieve the trophy instead of giving it for grated if I finish a game in a higher difficulty.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
No releasing essentially the same game every year with nothing more than minor tweaks ruin the game.

If people are playing AC games on easy mode they're just trying to rush through it to try and justify a 60$ purchase they feel like they already did a year ago.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Zhukov said:
Funny, considering that the Assassin's Creed games have been stuck in "easy mode" since from about halfway through the first game.
Yep, if he was trying to act like he's playing on the level of the big boys like Dark Souls then he's being a very silly man.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I disagree.

I used to play a lot of games on Easy when I was younger. Like MGS3. It was my first Metal Gear Solid game and I had no idea how the games worked control wise. Easy mode was a good way to ease myself into the game.

Now-a-days, I'm skilled enough to go into a game on the default difficulty, but I probably wouldn't be playing half the games I play now if I didn't have the option to test the waters first.

arcade109

Jul 7, 2010
I like the Devil May Cry formula. Starts with just normal but if you suck it says," okay heres and easy mode if you want it." or if you are breezing through it it gives you a hard mode.

metal mustache

Oct 29, 2009
pfft easy modes improve games for me man, like in infamous when you turn down the difficulty and you can just run up to enemies and beat them up instead of hiding behind cover shooting piss weak lighting bolts at people, like honestly how is that enjoyable, i mean do they ever show cole doing that in the tutorial videos? Well my brother turns the difficulty up in every game he seems to play, infamous included, and he doesn't understand how i can 'stand' lowered difficulty, so you should really just leave the option open for the player

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I used the easy difficulty in games when I was a kid, since I wasn't very confident with my ability to beat tougher challenges. When I became experienced I began using the harder difficulty modes. Today the easy mode doesn't bother me and I don't bother with it, so I don't see how that ruins a game. It's good only for people who are new to gaming, and people who are not new to gaming can just ignore it.
What I don't like is having to unlock harder difficulty modes by playing on normal first - especially when it comes to shooters.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
I don't see how having more options - namely easy mode - is a bad thing.

Cover-based combat is inherently easy because there's infinite regen health or at least unlimited protection behind every chest-high wall and you just have to wait until an enemy pops his head out. The only way to make it harder is to make the PC (as well as the enemies) die within 2-3 hits or slow down regen speed, which is just dull because it means more waiting behind cover if you play safe and smart. Was always my problem with playing DXHR aggressively.

And Assassin's Creed was never a difficult game by any stretch of the imagination, and made even easier through the successive one-hit-kills that could flatten entire groups in seconds.

I do oppose stripping away mechanics for the appeal of a broader audience out of which most people won't want to go into depth (instead, create an Easy Mode in which you don't need every edge and gameplay mechanic to succeed) as well as unlocking harder difficulty settings later on. If anything, get rid of difficulty settings entirely and scale the game dynamically. Player dying times and times again in the same spot? AI is now accurate and healthkits restore more health. Player rushing through enemy waves like it was nothing? AI gets enforcements and uses things like grenades more frequently to flush the player out.
(With a reasonable upper and lower limits of course).

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Hey, if you don't WANT me to play your game, then screw you. I have better things to spend my money on.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Right, because everyone "uses"* video games - a multimedial experience consisting of gameplay, story, audio, visuals and much more - solely for the gameplay.

Guess what: people usually don't book a cabin on a cruise ship solely to get somewhere.

If he were talking about prototypical games - Chess, Hide and Seek, etc. - yeah, challenge is what motivates you there. But video games are - despite the name - NOT JUST GAMES in the original sense.

* - "use" because "play" wouldn't do my point justice. You can play games, watch games (Let's Plays anyone?), perform games (ditto), listen to games, tell games (the entire review business), immerse yourself in games etc.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Heh, says an Assasin's cre... *reads comments*

Damn. My comment isn't edgy enough. Uh... CHUCK NORRIS SUCKS!

Captcha: Chuck Norris... Well fuck, I'm scared.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
This is coming from the guy who's games combat, while fun, is still designed around one button the entire time.