Assassin's Creed III Limited Edition for Americans Only

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Assassin's Creed III Limited Edition for Americans Only

Assassin's Creed III's patriotic swag won't reach British shores.

The upcoming game in Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed franchise is already gaining some notoriety for its depiction of a Minuteman-siding protagonist fighting both British soldiers and Templar agents. Head writer Corey May has already stated that Assassin's Creed III's story <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117864-Assassins-Creed-Devs-Dont-Hate-the-British>is historical, not anti-British but that doesn't change the fact that the original box art showed us a British soldier two seconds away from taking a tomahawk to the face. This may not be a controversial issue for American audiences, but there is a slight concern considering that Ubisoft is Europe's third-largest game publisher, and serves a significant number of British citizens. Perhaps it's not too surprising then that the recently announced Assassin's Creed III Limited Edition will be a North and Latin America exclusive, while European gamers will be left with standard and digital editions only.

While Ubisoft hasn't stated why European gamers are being left out, it's hard to deny that the Limited Edition includes many patriotic-themed items that will carry different meanings to different audiences. The set includes <a href=https://twitter.com/TheEscapistMag/status/218449113937747968>a massive 24" by 48" Assassin's Creed-inspired colonial American flag and a 9.44" statue of protagonist Connor standing before a (somewhat smaller) colonial flag. Also included for Digital Deluxe Edition users is a notebook containing "George Washington's true story". This Deluxe Edition should still be available for all players, and will also include a soundtrack, extra single-player missions, and extra in-game outfits.

No one is expecting Ubisoft to release a European Limited Edition with a Templar-themed British flag alongside the true story of King George III, but there might be a conflicting message when Ubisoft (a French publisher by the way) isn't giving European gamers the option for a Limited Edition of their own.

Assassin's Creed III comes out on October 30th.

Source: Joystiq

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Yeah! We get 'Merica flags and you guys only get the Guinness that doesn't taste like ass and classy tea cups!

Oh wait. That's not fair.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Well, I don't care about all the physical 'swag' as long as I get the in-game content.

I suppose it would be a little tasteless to release such a thing in Britain.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Damnit, Ubisoft, stop making me hate you. The only way this game could bug me more is if they announce Mel Gibson as a voice actor.

There'd better be an option to dye my outfit red and murder tons of militia.

The whole 'It was a British civil war' argument really doesn't stand up. It's like calling the Indian Mutiny a British civil war.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Although I'm not British, the entire premise of the game makes me quite uncomfortable, and a reflection on this whole controversy has resulted in me sympathising with Russian gamers who's own homeland is constantly portrayed as the bad guy in modern shooters.

I'm sure AssCreed 3 will sell well in Europe regardless, but patriotism is a shallow premise for a game, especially when combined with rampant ahistoricism i.e. completely glossing over the atrocities the Native Americans suffered.

But hey, British people, if any Americans piss you off over this just remind them that they got their asses handed to them in the War of 1812.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Keep your giant flags and slightly smaller flags with figures and historically inaccurate booklets, I don't really think there's too much market overseas for 'em anyway.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Uh.. European regions don't have a limited edition, huh?

So what are the Join or Die and Freedom Editions then? Join or Die has bonus content and a medallion, Freedom has the Connor statue and extra content. Flag is kinda meh. :p

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
I used to think political correctness was bullshit made up by racists, misogynists, and other assorted assholes until I saw the shitstorm surrounding ACIII. SERIOUSLY people its a historical setting and some one had to be the bad guys. 'Then they shouldn't have used this period' Hmm.. by that reasoning all ideological conflicts are off limits to games.. hell even a villain out for sheer profit thinks hes doing the right thing because said profit will increase his chances of surviving (a biological imperative).

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Fanghawk said:
"Assassin's Creed III's story <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117864-Assassins-Creed-Devs-Dont-Hate-the-British>is historical, not anti-British"
Why do they keep saying this while having modern British accents for British troops?

The British colonists and the British soldiers would sound the same, and would not have sounded like modern British English. For one thing, the dropping of the hard "H" sound is a comparatively recent thing in Britain.

I would be fine with having both the colonists and the redcoats having modern British accents, because it at least would be consistently incorrect. But to give it to only the redcoats reeks of, well, not being historical and perhaps even anti-British.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Sevre said:
Although I'm not British, the entire premise of the game makes me quite uncomfortable, and a reflection on this whole controversy has resulted in me sympathising with Russian gamers who's own homeland is constantly portrayed as the bad guy in modern shooters.

I'm sure AssCreed 3 will sell well in Europe regardless, but patriotism is a shallow premise for a game, especially when combined with rampant ahistoricism i.e. completely glossing over the atrocities the Native Americans suffered.

But hey, British people, if any Americans piss you off over this just remind them that they got their asses handed to them in the War of 1812.
Maybe I'm just an insensitive jerk American pig, but this whole concept of "cultural discomfort" confuses me. I don't mean to belittle the feelings of discomfort; I completely empathize that they are legit... I just genuinely don't understand them. Again... insensitive American here. XD

I watched Letters from Iwo Jima last week. Watching Americans get shot and treated like the bad guy didn't bother me at all. I can watch movies where Americans are the big bad outsiders and get shot in the face, and I'm fine with it. I'm curious why watching British redcoats get shot would - at face value - be cringe inducing.

Hell, if you gave me a Call of Duty game where the whole point is to shoot overweight Americans hanging out at McDonald's, I'd probably play it and laugh. Hehehe, I'm giggling just thinking about it. XD

*ahem*

I completely respect that this kind of thing could make British people uncomfortable, but this happened long long before our lifetime. I can easily see someone making a game about 9/11 three hundred years from now, and many people would probably play as the terrorists and shrug it off.

Heck, case in point. This is for any of mah British Peeps who are offended. One of the funniest things ever:

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
This happened 235 years ago. What's next, Romans being offended at the release of a gladiator movie? Iranians being offended at 300? (Well, that actually happened.) Jews being offended at a Jesus crucifixion movie? (Also happened.) I'm not helping my argument. I don't understand people who are offended at anything ever, but maybe that's just my low opinion of myself talking.

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
I'm not following... The Freedom Edition has the figurine, George Washington's notebook and Ghost of War (single player mission). And that's not all. So what we're not getting is a flag? I can live with that :)

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
OH MAI GAWDS

suddenly, 'eagle vision' makes a lot more sense. D:

let the conspiracies begin!

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
What upsets me about the whole thing is saying Conor is from the Mohawk tribe but is allied with the Americans. The Mohawks and most of the Native Americans in that area (mainly the tribes known as the Six Nations today, but there were others) sided with the British in the American Revolution. Just saying. However I will reserve judgement of the final product until I play it because they have made mention of templars on both sides and that Conor isn't allied with either but we need to wait until we have our hands on the game to really know if that is true.