Assassin's Creed III Limited Edition for Americans Only

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Wait, what? Here in the Netherlands I'd have no problem pre-ordering the Freedom Edition (inludes the figurine, notebook and DLC), or the Join or Die Edition (with the notebook and some DLC). So I can't get the flag? Big deal.

Also, who'd be offended by this anyway? Every country has some black pages in its history books (not even saying this was one of them), deal with it.

Rhys95

May 16, 2011
I can't imagine it selling well over here anyway (obvious reasons). Honestly my opinion is I don't care about killing Brits(as I recall there were Brits in Acre in AC1 whom I had no bother killing) but it's the fact that they seem to be marketing the whole affair as a pro-american 4th July display of patriotism to sell it in the U.S, as opposed to the unbiased take of earlier games.

Zef Otter

Nov 28, 2007
John Funk said:
Well, the French WERE on our side in this one. Historically ;)
Don't forget the Spanish, Dutch, Moroccan, and the League of Armed Neutrality . They helped out to with trade or attacking British colonies and shipping lanes. So it was not just the french that helped out :)

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
I'll believe the "not anti-British" statement when one of your many trailers actually features an American soldier getting killed. I thought the Assasins were supposed to be fighting the Templar war, not a revolutionary war. You can set your game in one of course, but at least make it so that it's not blatantly obvious that you're fighting for one side.

I guess British people now know what Russia feels.

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
As long as it is as they say historically accurate and they don't portray the Brits as bumbling fools (unless that is accurate for that section) or just change history to as mentioned previously "MERICA FUCK YEAH!"

Also as mentioned previously I wouldn't mind the idea of a loyalist flag for the British special edition but we Brits complain about everything anyway so if your going to deny the uber edition you might as well deny it to the British.

Ill just sit down with my Guinness in one hand my tea in the other wearing my tophat and watching Doctor who "WHAT WHAT"

Rhys95

May 16, 2011
Hookah said:
tehpiemaker said:
Hookah said:
CrazyBlaze said:
What upsets me about the whole thing is saying Conor is from the Mohawk tribe but is allied with the Americans. The Mohawks and most of the Native Americans in that area (mainly the tribes known as the Six Nations today, but there were others) sided with the British in the American Revolution. Just saying. However I will reserve judgement of the final product until I play it because they have made mention of templars on both sides and that Conor isn't allied with either but we need to wait until we have our hands on the game to really know if that is true.
Yeah, that bugged me too. Moreso because one of the grievances the Colonists held against the Crown was that they wanted to expand further west, into what was then 'Indian territory' while the British Govt didn't want to break treaties with their Indian allies.

More on topic:

Could have given UK a sweet Loyalist flag for their special edition:

Everyone's a winner.

Except the French.
Well everyone's saying that the french helped the rebellion in the colonies, so in a sense they did win. Also, I don't know what everyone's getting in a tuss about. Every American and British man knows that the Indians sided with the brits. So why doesn't everyone come out to the obvious conclusion? ubisoft is going to EXPLAIN everything in the actual storyline. So buckle down, and wait.
Except they bankrupted themselves doing it, which directly lead to the French Revolution. Silly frogs.

Rhys95 said:
I can't imagine it selling well over here anyway (obvious reasons). Honestly my opinion is I don't care about killing Brits(as I recall there were Brits in Acre in AC1 whom I had no bother killing) but it's the fact that they seem to be marketing the whole affair as a pro-american 4th July display of patriotism to sell it in the U.S, as opposed to the unbiased take of earlier games.
English in Acre. Not Brits.
Of course please excuse the terminological inexactitude

jim1398

Nov 26, 2008
The Plunk said:
Imthatguy said:
The.Bard said:
zelda2fanboy said:
I don't think there are many British people that are offended by this. After all, we are aware that our ancestors were massive dicks.
We are, however, disappointed that a series which is usually quite historically accurate is dropping most of its historical accuracy in order to appeal to the "'MURRICAH! FUCK YEAH!" demographic. Or perhaps it's to stop Fox News from jumping on Assassin's Creed III as a "Forefather murder simulator!". Possibly both.

Pretty much my view on it. I honestly don't care who we are killing, I'm more than happy to kill my fellow Brits in a game (and beyond the regular cesspools of the internet like the Youtube comments section, I don't think I've seen anyone else complaining that we will be killing Brits).

What concerns me is the way it seems like they are portraying a Hollywood version of events. I still have the Join or Die Edition pre-ordered and I'm really looking forward to the game, I'm just going to be disappointed if they do in fact portray events in the aforementioned style because they think they need to do it for it to sell in America (I honestly think most American fans would prefer a historically accurate version and they are aware it wasn't a simple case of America=good, Britain=bad.)

I know they've said it's not going to be like that and I'm willing to trust them (I'm probably going to enjoy the game either way), but it really doesn't help when the box art is the way it is, every trailer and gameplay video shows a pretty clear bias in favour of America (sneak into a Britsih camp and what's the first thing you see? British soldiers flogging someone while their Templar leader watches and sips tea). Then to top it all of, there was a presentation where they addressed the issue (I think it was probably E3) by saying we won't just be killing the British and Connor is going to fight on both sides...which was then immediately followed by a gameplay clip of Connor killing the British. The funny thing is, all it would take for me to put all my doubts aside is a single trailer or gameplay clip showing Connor working alongside the British or at least fighting some Americans.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I don't have an issue with AC3 having the protagonist kill British people.

I have an issue with AC3 being marketed (and possibly actually playing) as Mel Gibson's The Patriot in game form.

The colonial rebellions weren't a cut and dry "Colonies=Good, Britain=Bad" situation and there was a whole lot of good and bad on both sides of the issue. Instead of appealing to the lowest common denominator, why not take that as an opportunity to perhaps educate your audience about history and hopefully spark them into action to look into it more themselves? Challenge their (pre-)established perceptions.

Fuck, just look at Assassin's Creed 1. Neither side was innocent of Templar corruption. Altair butchered Crusader and Saladin's men alike.

Rahuzero

Jul 22, 2011
I dont see the issue here. Previeus games had higher editions that werent available to americans why are people pissed off now. And its not like this a an american game. Ubisoft is french. Russions are portrayed badly all the time and no one seems to care. No one cared when resident evil 4 came out that you were killing a large number of one ethnicity. While yes the cover does show a british soldier about to take some assassin steel to the face. Thats the cover. If there is any depth to the plot, such as you killing on both sides for many different reasons you dont want to give that away.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
I'm going to stand out as the exception to the compatriots of mine who're jumping around to proclaim loudly how much of a non-issue the balance of racial genocide is to them. To me it is something where I'd like to see some kind of balance. (historically, the British are suggested to have lost far fewer in fatalities, btw)

It's also an issue that so far they've shown nothing that suggests subversion of the common ideas about this war.

The ideas that the British had no plausible political perspective or reason for fighting in this war more nuanced or morally-understandable than 'hating freedom'; (that the British public were fully-informed and backed the war to the hilt) that the Patriots took on the total, fully-committed military might of history's largest empire in a straight-up battle to the last man (ala E3 trailer) and justice won against all the odds; (not, say: the British eventually getting sick of an inefficient, poorly-supported, politically and tactically unsustainable war) that France & Co stepping in couldn't have been about politics and keeping the Empire in check, ala Russia and China of today.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
I'm a Norwegian transplant to the US so I'm sort of in the middle on this one. I'm not sure what the big deal is, but whatever.

I did however note that the flag in the picture looks like it is from cloth as opposed to a synthetic flag. If that's the case, then that looks like pretty awesome and I'll get it. If it's just a synthetic flag, forget about it. They are an eyesore to me.

Sgtcrispy

Jul 4, 2012
Sevre said:
But hey, British people, if any Americans piss you off over this just remind them that they got their asses handed to them in the War of 1812.
But historians agree, British and Americans that the War of 1812 was a draw if anything. As do people who have actually ever studied it.

sideshow

Jan 26, 2012
and yet, they don't want us to think that they're racist to Europeans?

seriously, this is crap.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Well, isn't that fun? Digging themselves into a hole like that. I'm still rooting for maybe a Chinese Assassin, someday it might happen.