Assassin's Creed III Limited Edition for Americans Only

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I really don't understand how they've managed to go so wrong here.

The entire point of the game is there is no black and white, good versus evil, there are traitors everywhere, main characters, sub characters, mentors, and yet, in this, we're supposed to believe that every loyalist is working for the templars and every rebel some freedom fighter and Desmond now takes on the role of a revolutionary rambo.

What the hell happened?

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Ehh...I'm not surprised about the fact they just released info about the LE. CoD did it last year, Borderlands did it, Resident Evil did it, it's kind of a trend now. Not that I like it but still.
However, I'm not paying over $100 for that. A figurine, a flag, DLC and a belt buckle? No, thanks. I've seen cheaper LE with more stuff than that (Batman, GoW, etc). As much as I love AC, I'm not gonna preo-order that one, especially since I'm sure it will go down in price a couple of months after its release because A) It's gonna come out during the holidays and B) Every single LE leftover goes through that. That's how I got the AC: Brohood LE, Batman, Castlevania, etc. It's a long shot, looking through all GameStops to see who has a leftover. But it's well worth it.

Now, what I did pre-order was Ezio's bladed gauntlet. I was thinking about doing one myself, what with the Youtube tutorials, but I'm just too lazy. So that works for me.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Sgtcrispy said:
Sevre said:
But hey, British people, if any Americans piss you off over this just remind them that they got their asses handed to them in the War of 1812.
But historians agree, British and Americans that the War of 1812 was a draw if anything. As do people who have actually ever studied it.
Historians are clearly divided on that and Canadians celebrate it as a victory. Now I'm not saying it was a British victory because it wasn't, neither side saw any benefit in continuing the war, but the shift in the war after the British ended their Napoleonic campaign and actually turned their attention to it is undeniable. Madison's terrible administration and economic disasterpiece were only tempered by Jackson's victories, the American navy and British apathy once they drove America out of Canada.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Sooo, We're going to have a game about killing loads of english people, portraying english people as evil, and then not going to release the special edition in england.

BUT WE'RE NOT RACIST!

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
i live in ireland and the gamestops here are selling these exact collectors editions...so..eh...yeah...not that i was ever going to get them but thats quite a dickish move on ubisofts part.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
AmrasCalmacil said:
Damnit, Ubisoft, stop making me hate you. The only way this game could bug me more is if they announce Mel Gibson as a voice actor.

There'd better be an option to dye my outfit red and murder tons of militia.

The whole 'It was a British civil war' argument really doesn't stand up. It's like calling the Indian Mutiny a British civil war.
Colonel Tavington I presume!

I'm seriously hoping that George Washington is secretly the master Templar, like Al Mualim was in the first game. Obviously that won't happen and I'll be forced to effortlessly slaughter thousands upon thousands of British soldiers.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
The Lunatic said:
I really don't understand how they've managed to go so wrong here.

The entire point of the game is there is no black and white, good versus evil, there are traitors everywhere, main characters, sub characters, mentors, and yet, in this, we're supposed to believe that every loyalist is working for the templars and every rebel some freedom fighter and Desmond now takes on the role of a revolutionary rambo.

What the hell happened?
I liked how one of the trailers has Connor telling a Continental soldier that the Patriots can fight their own war, he's only here for the Templars-and then in the very next trailer Connor is sailing a ship proudly bearing the Rebel colours and sinking half the Royal Navy.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Im British and I am not really offended by this. I am fine with killing Brits.
What does concern me is that rather than there being Templars on both sides it seems like they are pretty much just making it "MERRICAH!!! **** YEAH!!!". So far it looks like Brits are evil freedom hating monsters while the American fredom loving underdog America fights back against them and wins because freedom an America and blah blah blah etc etc etc...

This is kinda dissapointing. The gameplay has always been important and fun but story and setting has always been a big part of the series for me. I just don't see myself having much of an interest in what looks to be an American patriot rally.
Just the trailer with the main character running through the battlefield in open view of the British and singlehandedly killing their commander made me facepalm. It was so damn stupid, I know trailers like that are not supposed to be realistic at all but damn, that was just too much.

I was dissapointed by revelations which felt like they were milking the franchise and turned out to be kinda bad anyway so I don't have much faith in this seeing as it looks like it's going to just be
Brits = bumbling incompetent freedom hating rich evil assholes
Americans = Freedom loving, awesome best ever underdog who wins everything forever because MERRICAH!!!!

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Killing Brits - not an issue.
Having leading bad guys in the British rows - not an issue.

Having to kill mostly Brits, and most bad guys being British - becomes an issue.

The whole goddamn game catering to American patriotism - Thanks, good bye on a pre-purchase.

We're somewhere in between 3.) and 4.) right now, aren't we?

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
The Plunk said:
Imthatguy said:
The.Bard said:
zelda2fanboy said:
I don't think there are many British people that are offended by this. After all, we are aware that our ancestors were massive dicks.
We are, however, disappointed that a series which is usually quite historically accurate is dropping most of its historical accuracy in order to appeal to the "'MURRICAH! FUCK YEAH!" demographic. Or perhaps it's to stop Fox News from jumping on Assassin's Creed III as a "Forefather murder simulator!". Possibly both.
I think its more the latter.

One of Many

Feb 3, 2010
You know what I find funny?

George Washington and many other Founding Fathers, were in fact Masons, a society that was suppose to have been founded by Templars, when they escaped to Scotland in the 14th century, after their order was disbanded because of the French King.

Kinda ironic really.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Sevre said:
Although I'm not British, the entire premise of the game makes me quite uncomfortable, and a reflection on this whole controversy has resulted in me sympathising with Russian gamers who's own homeland is constantly portrayed as the bad guy in modern shooters.

I'm sure AssCreed 3 will sell well in Europe regardless, but patriotism is a shallow premise for a game, especially when combined with rampant ahistoricism i.e. completely glossing over the atrocities the Native Americans suffered.

But hey, British people, if any Americans piss you off over this just remind them that they got their asses handed to them in the War of 1812.
I don't think anyone really gives a flying fuck that Brits are being killed; the problem is the constant pandering to Americans. I read an interview recently and the developers seriously made it sound like the PR department wouldn't allow them to show any Americans being killed.

Now, I do believe they'll be more balanced in the game, but the pandering is getting fucking silly.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
There's really no logical reason to do something like this. Over 70% of a developers money comes from outside of America.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Fanghawk said:
No one is expecting Ubisoft to release a European Limited Edition with a Templar-themed British flag alongside the true story of King George III

Haha, now that was good! Honestly, though, this 'outrage at Ubisoft' for depicting conor slicing up a Brit is getting a bit out of proportion. Ok, the Brits don't like being reminded how they lost that big chunk of land full of corn, but that was to be expected at some point. I bet you my guts that the next game is going to have WWII-setting and period, and I doubt any Germans, Japanese or Itallians will complain. That's not to say that the two wars and participants of both wars are identical! (boy I couldn't have made a worse analogy...). All I'm saying is that maybe people should let go of their patriotism hats for this one.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
One of Many said:
You know what I find funny?

George Washington and many other Founding Fathers, were in fact Masons, a society that was suppose to have been founded by Templars, when they escaped to Scotland in the 14th century, after their order was disbanded because of the French King.

Kinda ironic really.
Right, because AC3 has to be spot-on accurate with conspiracy-theorized beliefs of history.
Assassin's Creed is never 100% accurate. Did you ever hear about a Templar plot to assassinate Lorenzo Medici?

Anyway, EMEA territories get two limited editions of this game. Then we Americans get *one* and there's an uproar.
Kinda reminds me of the uproar over the game's setting.

Assassin's Creed 1: Woo! Middle eastern territories; sounds interesting.
AssCreed2: Italy? Awesome! Renaissance is cool.
Brotherhood: more Italy! Schweet.
Revelations: Istanbul! How exotic.
Assassin's Creed 3: WTF Ubisoft. Why do Americans get all the love!?!?

Seriously, you guys have two editions to pick from. When we get one, especially when the freaking game takes place in this country, it should not at all be surprising. In fact, it shouldn't be considered fair that you guys get two editions. But whatever. I'm happy with this edition we get.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I'm still hoping for a plot twist in which the British aren't absolute evil personified. It's probably not going to happen, but I can dream.

Sgtcrispy

Jul 4, 2012
Sevre said:
Sgtcrispy said:
Sevre said:
But historians agree, British and Americans that the War of 1812 was a draw if anything. As do people who have actually ever studied it.
Historians are clearly divided on that and Canadians celebrate it as a victory. Now I'm not saying it was a British victory because it wasn't, neither side saw any benefit in continuing the war, but the shift in the war after the British ended their Napoleonic campaign and actually turned their attention to it is undeniable. Madison's terrible administration and economic disasterpiece were only tempered by Jackson's victories, the American navy and British apathy once they drove America out of Canada.
Canadians celebrate it as a victory because Canada defended an invasion. In actuality it was a draw though. America's goal was to get Britain to stop screwing around with their trade, which they succeeded in, and while they failed their invasion of Canada they got a bit of "street cred" for challenging the most powerful nation in the world at the time and surviving. And no, historians are hardly divided on it anymore. Most agree it was a draw, because it was. You said yourself they both agreed to stop fighting as it was pointless.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
This is just ridiculous. When the previous games came out, you didn't see people from Italy or the Middle East up in arms over their people being represented as antagonistic. Actually, come to think of it any video game ever. Even in the MW2 debacle, you didn't see Russians freaking out over their depiction in the game. On top of that, it's been stated that Connor will be fighting both factions during the revolutionary war. The developers have stated that both sides will be depicted as grey and that's that. So shut up, buy the game and murder some templars.