Assassin's Creed III Review

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Anoni Mus said:
5 stars? Doubt it deserves it. How much the escapist gave to AC, AC II and AC Brotherhood?

What's the problem? Greg gave the exact same score to Dragon Age 2

Hopefully 3 deviates from the formula that 2, 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 ran with and isn't basically another expansion pack.

SpiderJerusalem said:
So, uh, no mention then of the countless bugs? Poor frame rates? Lacking drawing distance? Broken A.I.? Character animation that doesn't always work? Sound issues? Repetitive missions?

No? Nothing? Just five stars?

But then you go to town on Medal of Honor (an arguably bad game, don't get me wrong) for these exact issues?

And here you are. Note the game, author, and score.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8701-Dragon-Age-II-Review

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
SpiderJerusalem said:
So, uh, no mention then of the countless bugs? Poor frame rates? Lacking drawing distance? Broken A.I.? Character animation that doesn't always work? Sound issues? Repetitive missions?

But then you go to town on Medal of Honor (an arguably bad game, don't get me wrong) for these exact issues?
Thank heavens, I was beginning to think I was the only one thinking this.

Maybe PC gaming has spoiled me, but Assassin's Creed III's graphics are downright deplorable in some areas.

Also, these controls are still as finicky as ever. Attempting to run in anything other that wide-open pastures or rooftops might as well result in Connor putting on a blindfold. The last thing I want to do while making my grand escape is run into some item that was nowhere near me and plummet back down.

karoliso

Apr 14, 2009
I'm sorry but this felt more like a commercial rather than a review. I'm assuming you're a journalist that gets paid for your work and I expect the coverage to be a little less one-sided, not gushes of excitement. 5 stars? Really? I don't buy that. It's Dragon Age 2 all over again.

This entire thing was wrong and the author should feel ashamed.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
Anoni Mus said:
5 stars? Doubt it deserves it. How much the escapist gave to AC, AC II and AC Brotherhood?

Hopefully 3 deviates from the formula that 2, 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 ran with and isn't basically another expansion pack.

SpiderJerusalem said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8701-Dragon-Age-II-Review
And this folks, is how you get yourself into pointless trouble through a pointless grudge over a pointless review for a pointless game.

OT- Finally, a game set in the American Revolution. I am seriously excited as it is a period of history I never see given too much spotlight in media, and never accurately. From what I've seen they do a pretty good job keeping it from being too out there. Also, they are addressing the hypocrisy of a nation fighting for freedom while still having slaves, among other things. Though I don't know just how they'll make it a truly ambiguous story while still portraying any of the figures accurately, as making just about anyone involved in the conflict into a mustache twirling villain just can't work, and that is essentially how the series has been portraying Templars.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Revnak said:
OT- Finally, a game set in the American Revolution. I am seriously excited as it is a period of history I never see given too much spotlight in media, and never accurately. From what I've seen they do a pretty good job keeping it from being too out there. Also, they are addressing the hypocrisy of a nation fighting for freedom while still having slaves, among other things. Though I don't know just how they'll make it a truly ambiguous story while still portraying any of the figures accurately, as making just about anyone involved in the conflict into a mustache twirling villain just can't work, and that is essentially how the series has been portraying Templars.
Funny, after playing 1 and all of the AC2's, I never once got the image of moustache-twirling villains.

Not much to twirl, for a start.

or here.

In addition, you mention the ambiguous story. Why would you even want one? The idea is to take a period of history, and say "here's what happened". That's been the entire premise of Assassins Creed to date.

Also, what was the pointless trouble you referred to?

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
karoliso said:
I'm sorry but this felt more like a commercial rather than a review. I'm assuming you're a journalist that gets paid for your work and I expect the coverage to be a little less one-sided, not gushes of excitement. 5 stars? Really? I don't buy that. It's Dragon Age 2 all over again.

Are people really going to start losing their shit over a freaking number?

Basic fact. All reviews are opinion based. The point of it is tell people if they should go buy the game or not. This guy thinks the game is good and you should do so. Go read other review sites to compare and contrast if this one doesn't pick it apart enough for you. Or just wait for Yathzee to make an episode.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
This thread is making me feel bad. There's a difference between criticism, and crucifying someone and bringing up the past to shove in their face.

Also, I didn't notice the truckload of games set during the American Revolution that makes this "another one on the pile" that we ought to be tired of by this point. And games like COD that glamorize the American army don't really apply here. Some of you talk to Americans every day on here and should treat their home with the same respect you expect towards yours.

As for OT? I've been bored to tears enough by AC 1 and 2 and their god awful PC ports that not even the setting can pull me in.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
karoliso said:

The first thing I thought of when seeing that was this.

DrunkOnEstus said:
As for OT? I've been bored to tears enough by AC 1 and 2 and their god awful PC ports that not even the setting can pull me in.

The PC aspect (of previous AC games) is pretty good, there's still the insanely imprecise turning and movement which is a throwback to the sixaxis, but with a 7-button mouse, controlling it is as easy as you get with a controller. Having the ability to throw multiple graphics cards and processor cores at a ported game also irons out quite a lot of the issues people have with them.

and then Dark Souls comes along and throws my argument a curveball.

And that was because the developer truly does not get PC gaming. But released Dark souls anyway.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Still hugely disappointed at Ubisoft for deciding to set the game during the gawdem American Revolution. Really it is NOT as big a deal to the rest of the world and it seems to me the French Revolution would have provided a far more interesting (and far more morally grey) storyline.

Though I'm curious to see how "equal opportunity" the plot is as the review was fairly spoiler free, it seems to me that painting the British as the "bad guys" seems far to simplistic and doesn't really fit the more politically neutral tone of the rest of the series.
because Ubisoft is French, I don't think they wanted to set a game during the French Revolution, knowing it lead to Napoleon, who is possibly a Templar. The closest you can get to kill Frenchmen in an Assassin's Creed game is in the ACIII:Liberation game for WiiU, set in French-owned new Orleans.
I'm still excited to get this game!

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Witty Name Here said:
Toilet said:
Plus everything is mediocre and easy: the running is hold a button a push a stick forward,
Yeah! Whatever happened to COMPLEX running where I'd have to regulate the character's heart beat and perspiration! This game is sooo simplified!

Anyways, I have choice of either this or dishonored, and I'm not sure which I should get!!!! T_T
assassins creed is a much longer game, I beat dishonored in a day, (and I had college classes and work that day) AC3 I've been playing nonstop since yesterday and still only feel like I'm at the beginning.

that said i love both and wish I owned Dishonored but I only rented it AC3 I do own and can honestly say I'm having more fun with it, just seems like a much bigger game.

RadioactiveMicrobe

Mar 1, 2009
Milanezi said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Still hugely disappointed at Ubisoft for deciding to set the game during the gawdem American Revolution. Really it is NOT as big a deal to the rest of the world and it seems to me the French Revolution would have provided a far more interesting (and far more morally grey) storyline.

Though I'm curious to see how "equal opportunity" the plot is as the review was fairly spoiler free, it seems to me that painting the British as the "bad guys" seems far to simplistic and doesn't really fit the more politically neutral tone of the rest of the series.
It WAS hugely important. Though indeed the French Revolution would have been more interesting. Funny though, there would be no American Revolution without the French Revolution, and my country, Brazil, along with most other South American countries, would NOT have sought freedom (at least not when we did) if not for the North American revolution. But again, the French Revolution would make much more sense as a sequel, and later the American Revolution, or Civil Wars, could do something interesting with Lincoln, poor bastard is becoming a puppet for everyone now anyway, might as well put him in an AC game hahaha
I still want a Dynasty-era china setting, fall of the Romanovs setting, or a War of the Roses setting.

RadioactiveMicrobe

Mar 1, 2009
ResonanceSD said:

Sorry to deviate, but what's 2.3? I've got ACII, AC:B, AC:R, and...

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
RadioactiveMicrobe said:
ResonanceSD said:

Sorry to deviate, but what's 2.3? I've got ACII, AC:B, AC:R, and...

Ah, I added one, my bad XD

But the idea shines through, right? 2, and then some expansion packs.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
Revnak said:
Funny, after playing 1 and all of the AC2's, I never once got the image of moustache-twirling villains.

Not much to twirl, for a start.

or here.

In addition, you mention the ambiguous story. Why would you even want one? The idea is to take a period of history, and say "here's what happened". That's been the entire premise of Assassins Creed to date.

Also, what was the pointless trouble you referred to?
Okay, AC2 and Brotherhood were not ambiguous, and AC1 hardly was ( a few of the latter guys were mildly understandable, but most of the Templars were utter bastards). And for those games, that made some sense, as the Borgias seriously were as evil as they get portrayed, but outside of one rather idiotic British general who's name escapes me (I think it started with a B) none of the figures are like that, and most of them are very admirable, especially for their time, with the worst being simply proud. Assassin's Creed really likes playing up the bastardiness of the Templars though, and the simple truth is that nobody fighting in that war fit that image.

And the trouble may not come, but I'd suggest not making a habit of insulting the staff. I've seen a lot of people get in trouble for it (especially for making fun of Greg Tito), and there really is no point to it. Also, I hate how everybody holds that review against him.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
You can pet random dogs in Assassin's Creed 3. It's the best game EVAR!
Sold.

Completely, totally sold.

I find it interesting how many people have forgotten what Five Stars from the Escapist actually means.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
A little comment on the video review part, please show more gameplay footage.

From what I saw, it seemed to take abit too much from cinematics and trailers. And I'm pretty sure I might have seen only 5 seconds of actual combat where Conner breaks one guy's neck. That's it for the entire combat aspect of the game.

Just saying cinematic snap shots are for the trailers, now that the game is out we need the meat and bones!

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
hmmm still not sure, I was excited now I'm kinda meh. Probably wait a few months at least.

I am curious as to how they handle the historical figures and stories here though. Paul Revere is only remembered because his name worked with the rhyme and he survived his ride because he stopped at the pub.

I was in Boston a couple years ago and tried taking a guided heritage walk and had to walk away because of "how great the revolution was!" "the shot heard around the world" and how proud they were about not wanting to pay for the garrison.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I liked the review. I agree with it but I am fraustrated in some parts and such, but it doesn't really matter sice it was related to the secondary objective (Which I made a habit to get all of them or reload from checkpoint). Also I like Connor...don't know why...

I'm sure Ubisoft wanted you to experience the forest they created and that is why they drag you through the forest. xD (Least there is easy and free fast travel this time)

Also I didn't see the mention of the Navel missions. I found them incredibly fun, and I felt like a captain too. :D

Would of liked to see more detail in the review, but still hoorah for the review. (I got AC3 yesterday and I love it. ^.^)

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I love the game so far, but it desperately needs a patch.

And a god damn editor. I haven't seen that many typos in a game since old Capcom games... I mean, the database entries are absolutely hilarious AND informative, but it's like they did one draft of them and just decided to let any mistakes slide.